“Amazing spa break!”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I visited the Crowne Plaza resort on the May bank holiday for a one night stay in an executive suite with my friend for a spa break. Well what can I say, after reading reviews I went with an open mind as I really did not want to be disappointed, needless to say that my stay was anything but disappointing! From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special and cared for which was just what we needed on our relaxing break away! All the staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful.

We did have a issue with our stay package which was very quickly rectified by the spa staff who made us feel very confident that our stay would be a good one! I could not praise the spa staff enough for how this was handled and for how welcomed and special they made us feel! We loved our treatments and made good use of the lovely relaxation room whilst waiting.

Our room was lovely as expected as we upgraded to stay in an executive suite and all our needs and expectation were either met or exceeded.

We ate in the restaurant and found both dinner and breakfast to be very tasty offering a variety of good quality buffet foods that also catered for gluten and dairy free. We also had a few drinks in the bar which was pleasant, drinks were hotel prices as expected. An added bonus as an executive customer was that we got to make good use of the executive lounge where we were able to help ourselves to soft and hot drinks during the day and between 6-8pm also had nibbles and house wine and beer to choose from as well this was a nice touch.

The grounds were amazing with lots of other amenities to enjoy including a pool with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. There was a good clean gym, squash courts and even pool near a low key sports bar area this was also leading onto golfers paradise not to mention the amazing grounds as well.

As we only stayed for one night we did not get to see half of what this amazing hotel had to offer which just gives us even more reason to return. We both throughly enjoyed our break and are looking into booking our next stay.

Thank you for giving us the best mini getaway this was just what we needed, a little bit of paradise close to home!

Room Tip: Upgrading to executive gives you a view over the golf course and grounds.
2  Thank UKCookie86
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I was delighted to read you that enjoyed your recent stay with us and that Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes lived up to and beyond all your expectations; despite some negative reviews. We are always happy when guests praise our excellence in service and delivery and I am so pleased that all elements of your stay with us left you with an unforgettable experience.

We hope that you return one day soon and thank you again for your wonderful review.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Arrived for a two day spa break was greeted by very friendly and extremely helpful reception staff. Our room was lovely everything we needed and when we did ask for something it was delivered with a smile and as if nothing was too much trouble. The restaurant was fantastic again staff were super and the food was delicious lots of choice presentation was great.
Spa treatments were good I wouldn't say outstanding but only because I've had lots I can really compare.
Wonderful nights sleep in a really comfy bed and all in all would really recommend this hotel great value for money would go back again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Your comments are truly appreciated and I am most pleased to read that on arrival our reception team were welcoming and accommodating - it is always rewarding to receive such fantastic feedback.

I am delighted that you found so many positive elements during your stay and I note in particularly, that your dining experience was fantastic.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes in the not too distant future and thank you again for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Room: Twin room, size ok. Beds were ok. Sleep quality poor mostly because the walls are thin and consequently the rooms noisy. Level of cleanliness was poor. There was nothing in the mini-bar.
Shower: ok - the bathroom flooded every time I used the shower.
Bar: ok and fun
Spa: I didn't have a treatment but used the pool. Average. The changing rooms need refurbishement.
Restaurant: Wine good, food average
Service: Poor. Mostly no-one seemed to know what was going on. It was a busy weekend. The house-keeping staff were very helpful but overworked.
Overall this hotel was extremely poor value for money.

1  Thank finnishbird

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

Please accept my sincere apologies with regard to the shortcomings you have referred to during your stay. I do hope that you took the opportunity to speak to our Resort Duty Manager or another member of our team, who would have done their level best to remedy any issues you may have had at the time. However, we are grateful that you have now taken this opportunity to highlight your disappointment as it is only by receiving honest feedback that we can continue to strive to improve our valued guest’s experience.

Thank you again for your comments.

With kind regards

Reviewed 26 May 2014

food was beautiful, very good selection of dishes and cooked to perfection, ambience was lovely and staff were great, served by a young lad, Matt Allen was extremely friendly and couldn't help enough..... five stars from me

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for commenting so positively on your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and we appreciate very much indeed a top score of five stars.

We are always appreciative when guests praise our excellence in service and please be assured that your comments relating to Matt Allen will be shared with him and our Executive Chef at the earliest opportunity.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Went with a group of friends for a golf weekend and we were all very pleasantly surprised by the rooms. Modern and very comfortable with a great bathroom and shower. The food was excellent but the drinks were very expensive but that is not unusual in large hotels. The staff were good and very helpful..
One of the golf courses was ok but not that interesting but the second course was very good. The biggest problem was the length of the rough which was very long and consequently the majority of the mixed ability golfers would spend ages looking for balls that had missed the fairways.
Rounds were taking over 5 hours which took away some of the enjoyment.
The cost of soft drinks and water in the golf shop was very expensive. A rip off.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked very good.
1  Thank John M

Thank you for reviewing your recent golf weekend at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and I am most pleased that you found your accommodation comfortable and well appointed and our chefs will be pleased that your dining experience was excellent.

I note that your golfing experience did not entirely meet your expectations however, I can assure you that your constructive comments will be passed to the relevant managers and we thank you for taking the time to highlight your thoughts.

Looking into the future, we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Wow,were to start, I am actually still staying here for business,2 months to be exact so after that time you know if something is good or not,no I don't have a grudge,simply the maintenance and listening skills of the management is horrendous!!!! Ok so start I had ants in my room which they were not capable of sorting till about the 3 rd attempt, it took a hotel worker who I have become friendly with in order to get my shower cleaned as it was disgusting,the cleaners hadn't touched it since I have been here.they have left my bedroom windows wide open on 2 occasions, they rarely vacuum, and never replace my face clothes even after asking.ok so the biggest problem is the SAUNA, which hasn't been cleaned or disinfected since I have been here,MAJOR health issue people?I have had 1 manager inside for a look,nothing done,told the housekeeping manager,still nothing,I even wiped the floor with a towel and threw it on reception desk,still nothing.this was the managers answer< I passed the message on to house keeping>not good enough!that's why your a manager,to follow up on these kind of things.What can I say apart from the lovely people in the restaurant who are true professionals,great job.management TAKE NOTE. In closing people don't fooled by the big name.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Camzolla
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Camzolla,

Thank you for staying and sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your time in our hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the upkeep of our facility. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Our Son and Daughter-in-law chose Five Lakes for their wedding and were married last Saturday.
It was a wonderful day. Sarah the new wedding co-ordinator was excellent and so was Hayley who showed us the venue a few days before with our son, for his Best Man speech.
The Toast Master also did a fantastic job, professional in every way.
The staff were also outstanding and 5***** to the Chef for the lovely hot dinner at the wedding breakfast. The rooms were comfortable and clean.
Pity to see plastic cups and bottles left between bushes and along the walk way .No manners from some staying there , it does not take much to drop them in a bin!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann_Paul2014

Thank you so much for your posting your positive review of Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that your wedding celebrations were everything you had hoped for and we wish your son and new daughter-in-law all the happiness in the world.

We are always appreciative when guests praise our excellence in service and be assured that you particular comments relating to Sarah, Hayley and Chef will be shared with them at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you again and we do hope we can look forward to your returning visit one day soon.

Kind regards

#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Holiday Inn Express Colchester

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!