“Shame it wasn't for pleasure”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a work trip and enjoyed the stay. Room was wonderful and the god at the restaurant a treat.

Great service from all I met, some may find the restaurant a bit pricey with a bit of rump steak at over £25.

I stayed in room 608 in the resorts village. Room had a very large soft bed and a balcony.

From the chatter outside the main building at night I think the best night's sleep is to be had away from the main building and in the village.

Stayed: July 2014
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and I am glad to read that overall your visit was a positive one and that the service you received from all our team members was excellent.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and I do hope that you may have an occasion in the future to visit the hotel again as a leisure guest rather than a business delegate..

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having paid about the same price for a room in a travel lodge recently I was overwhelmed by the quality and service and facilities (gym, pool, sauna etc.) available here. I stayed in the village but my room had the softest bed with the fluffiest pillows I had ever experienced! The pillow spray was a beautiful touch! We I left I was completely relaxed and felt that I had really given myself a treat - thank you so much!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank paperworkfairy

I am delighted that your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes was a relaxing break and the service and variety of facilities available met and exceeded your expectations. The hotel’s bedding is frequently commented upon due to its comfort, luxuriousness and softness and I am pleased that you found this to be the case also.

How lovely to read that you left the hotel feeling completely relaxed, having had such a wonderful time and we do hope we can look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My two daughters and I have just returned from a two day/one night Spa break at this great hotel to celebrate a birthday. Everything was faultless - staff friendly and attentive, room comfortable, spacious and clean, food wonderful and Spa treatment so relaxing. Such good value too. We will definitely be returning so we can be spoilt again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally S

How kind of you to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes .

I am delighted that your stay was so enjoyable for you and your daughters and that all elements met your expectations. I note that you would return in the future and this is wonderful news; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Accommodation absolutely first class. Beds ultra comfy, room large and spacious and bathroom has separate shower cubicle so no climbing in and out of the bath. Food was also excellent with a large selection and very tasty. Staff also very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you very much indeed for posting such a positive review following your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes. I am most pleased to read that all aspects of your stay were a delight to you.

Hopefully, we can look forward to your return to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester - Five Lakes very soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent ages looking for good golf & spa break for two couples that were wanting to go away for weekend, after reading reviews booked Five Lakes.

Impressive entrance and really lovely spacious standard rooms on the golf&spa deal which included dinner, espa manicure for ladies, golf for guys and breakfast.

The personal note in each room from manager on duty, along with biscuits was nice touch. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa, our treatments and especially the relaxing room which we discovered by accident - loved lounging around in our robes on the beds while waiting for treatments. The guys enjoyed the golf and said the golf shop was well stocked too. The buffet selection at breakfast and especially dinner was lovely and the friendliest young chap serving coffee's in the morning ! There were a few hen parties booked in for the spa deal but all well behaved and didn't disrupt normal guests which was nice.

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a weekend away.

Room Tip: Dont book room overlooking entrance of hotel as the smokers and party guests stand outside smoking a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

With so many hotels to choose from, I am pleased to note that your final choice was Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and from reading your comments, I can see that we did not disappoint you.

I am delighted that you found all aspects of your visit to be so enjoyable and we look forward very much indeed to welcoming you back at some time in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your lovely feedback on Trip Advisor - this is appreciated very much indeed.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel on Saturday the 28th of June and paid for a romance package. I was so disappointed with my stay I felt I needed to inform you of the reasoning.

Firstly the size and condition of the bath towels was very poor. The bath towels were more like hand towels and they had ragged edges and stains on them. There was also stains on the bed linnen. Now this may have been blood of possibly red wine. Nevertheless it is not really acceptable. I had asked for chocolate strawberries to be in the room with the champagne. Although there were strawberries there was no sign of the chocolate.

On making our way to the restaurant i was told that it was a romance package for 1 that was booked!! This was rectified promptly thankfully. However when we were taken to our table we were placed beside what can only be described as a stampede of wild elephant's. I can appreciate you accomodate all types of parties in your hotel but the barage of foul language and abuse we had to listen to was nothing short of horrendous from what I can only imagine was a stag and a hen party. Not very romantic I might add for a romance package. The only saving grace from the dinner was that the food was exceptional and the service we recieved from the waiter whose name was Matthew Allum was exceptional. Matthew is definitely a credit to the hotel and at such a young age has a fantastic future ahead of him.

Breakfast in the morning was again beautiful until I bit into a mushroom that was full of grit. I am not overly concerned about that as it could easily happen anywhere. My concern was that once again we had to listen to the same people from the night before hungover using foul language about the previous nights antics.

Over all I would not put the hotel as 5 star and if I rated my stay I would say a 3/10 and that is only due to the food and waiter service recieved. As a romantic package 1/10. It is very disappointing as I have recently got engaged to my partner and the reasoning behind staying at the hotel was to see if it would be a suitable venue for our wedding.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Matthew R

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and I can confirm that I have already responded to you personally in an email to you on 4th July 2014.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed over on our wedding anniversary recently. The room was lovely, clean, spacious, well presented. Food was great. Staff helpful. Happy hour in private bar was brilliant and included in our deal, free wine, lager, nibbles etc. Pool area.... Dated, cold, ugly. Entrance to pool area was through the gym, and between 2 chubby sweaty guys on exercise bikes. Mmmmmmmm calming. We had a nice evening, nice meal, great sleep and breakfast in bed. Overall good but could definitely be better knowing the was a recent refurb.

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your visit in March and I am delighted that you found all elements of your visit ranging from your well appointed accommodation, dining experience, the Club Lounge most enjoyable.

I was sorry however, to read your opinion of our leisure club. Unfortunately, you accessed the pool via the gym rather than the main swimming pool entrance and this is why you found yourself amongst gym users !

Albeit sometime since your visit, we do appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay.

Hopefully you will return one day soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tolleshunt Knights
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
The Limes
The Limes
#1 of 3 in Maldon

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!