“Great place!”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
London, United Kingdom
“Great place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed 1 night, I booked 2 rooms and the room was large and spacious with a large TV and good choice of channels - Sky Sports included. The bathroom was large with separate bath and shower was the only disappointment (not clean and dated). The room was very clean and modern and the beds very comfortable. The air con was very good and enabled me to get a great nights sleep.

Room Tip: second floor bedrooms with balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zed N
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor following your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your comfortable, well appointed room, although your comment regarding the bathroom is noted. We often receive complimentary remarks about the comfortable beds which certainly help towards a good nights sleep.

Hoping that you will return one day soon and thank you again for your comments.

Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Billericay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Previously was member of Five Lakes before it was taken over by Crowne Plaza. Used to be lovely; luxurious, tranquil and classy. Now, its tired, scruffy and the service was awful. This was my first trip since it had been taken over by Crowne Plaza. We came on a spa day for my mother-in-law's birthday. I'm not quite sure where to begin.
The cleanliness was one of the biggest let downs. With our spa day package, we were given complimentary tea and coffee, which would have been ok if we could distinguish between what cups were clean and dirty at the self service bar. After I asked one of the girls at the spa reception if we could have some clean cups, she replied she couldn't leave her desk. I was a little taken aback so I sat back down. After a while I decided to venture behind the bar to have a look but the cupboards were empty. Eventually after an hour, the clean cups were replenished but spoons were not, and instead put into a cup of hot water. Nice.
The spa itself was not as clean as it could have been either. The jacuzzi was luke-warm with an attractive green mould growing between the tiles and a pathetically weak pump. The steam room was not hot, and smelt like a foot, could have done with a wipe down. The sauna is the only place I couldn't really complain, nice and hot. Was a hole in the wall on the sauna which had been covered with some paper, but hey-ho, compared to the mould it was a bonus. Changing room bins were over flowing, curtains were dirty and didn't draw properly (most due to the rings being broken therefore not being able to slide across). Robes were a bit tatty. The relaxation room was anything but relaxing. The four poster beds absolutely reeked of bed head, the pillow cases either needed a wash or throwing away. The curtains were frayed and in some cases the beds were damp. Although I did not stay at the hotel, I did see some of the maids cleaning the rooms. I saw one man sniff a towel, flack it and fold it up, not sure what happened to the poor towel, just hope someone didn't get it! Maybe they do a rotation room by room?
Decided not to have a shower as they were particularly disgusting and as I only live a 30-40minute drive I thought I would hang it out for a shower where I would actually come out clean.
The service was particularly poor and just lacked. As well as the incident with the missing tea cups, the staff were reluctant to help and a little scruffy (sorry if this seems personal but a spa is supposed to be someone tranquil and relaxing). Part of our package was also a 2 course lunch. We made our way down to the Brasserie which in all fairness was modern and well presented. We were seated and there was a high chair on our table with a napkin folded in half with some brown mess inside it (not insinuating what you think I am as I did not venture into the napkin!). I asked if they would mind moving the high chair and made them aware of the dirty suspicious napkin, the server just dragged the high chair to one side and walked away. I think there was a misunderstanding also as the server had failed to tell us desert was not included in our 2 courses and it was a starter and main from the buffet, we all had our main and looked forward to our desert only to be told we had to pay for it. After we had said that we didn't know that and it was shame, the waiter had miraculously disappeared and avoided us at all costs! Was comical, at least they provided entertainment. Also, no one was their to serve the buffet/carve the meat so waited for 15 minutes, a rude waitress asked us if we had asked for anyone and we had told them we hadn't seen anyone to which she muttered "well maybe you could use some common sense". A little shocking as we didn't realise we had to flag down someone to cut the meat.
With our package we were each entitled to a treatment and we all picked the neck, shoulder and back massage. We told reception we were (not) relaxing in the relaxation room and they said it was fine they would find us when our treatment was due which was a nice gesture. Felt like I was in a Doctors surgery when they came in and shouted our names. Little unprofessional. I was also under the impression the treatment was for 30 minutes and was only 15 minutes. Some of us were offered the choice of which oil we would like (different scents called "relaxation" or "energize" or something of the like), me and one other was given whatever was in the bottle they loudly pumped from the side. It was quite obvious some of the therapists hadn't given a massage before as the lady who did my treatment decided to run her nails up and down my back a few times (lol).
Feel quite sad writing this about Five Lakes. I don't expect everywhere to be flawless but hygiene and manners are something I do expect. I do hope they take this on board and make amends because it used to be a well respected hotel and spa. I personally would not return although some may say you get what you pay for (£60 spa day). I was aware it was a cheap deal, but cleanliness and politeness are, in my opinion, non-negotiable where ever you go or what ever you are paying.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank MRB3917
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear MRB3917,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Colchester.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Tolleshunt Knights hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am a platinum member here on long term work so its been like home to me for the past 5 months. the staff are fantastic and are the reason that i come back every time im working in the area. The restaurant has a buffett everynight which from time to time i go to where Hayley, Joe and Ayesha are very helpful and cater to all my requests, if im not in the restaurant ill be dinning in the bar as it has such a laid back atmophere they show the football when its on so I go and socialise with the bar staff Kelly and Nikki are great and will try her best to make my time in the bar enjoyable. Not forgetting the front desk team they always go the extra mile without a doubt always checking in on my stay and how i am Bianca is there most evening so I always stop by for a laugh, maintenance had gone home so she came to fix my TV personally. Due to lack the of aircon in the Village Suzanne offered me a fan not only did she bring it to my room but she out done herself and brought me two what a star!

All in all food is good, staff are great and i enjoy coming back and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: village rooms with balconies, great views and large rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Luke C
norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked hotel for a weekend break and picked this as had a spa, gym and pool. We arrived a bit early but checked in and room was ready so was good room was very nice large bed mini fridge and safe nice bathroom with both bath and walk in shower and large flat screen t.v the out look from room was not to good overlooking the bins but hay only here for two nights unpacked then got ready to go to spa we had bath robes and slippers in room wanted to put things in safe ashad I pad and I phones with us but couldn't get safe to work reception sent up someone to repair it but he couldn't so we moved rooms a few rooms down and all was fine. Must say the pool steam room and sauna where a bit of a let down looked rather tired the jacuzzi was only just warm and not very powerfull we had evening meal included this was buffet style with salad bar then the choice of main meal was not great few different desserts to chose from drinks were quite expensive breakfast was good with plenty to chose from full English cereal pastries and fruit. We enjoyed our stay but would say the hotel is very isolated few miles drive to any where. the two golf courses looked very well looked after.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janedelnorwich
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and it is clear to me that overall you had a most enjoyable stay. I appreciate your positive comments regarding your accommodation.

Please accept my apologies that despite trying to repair the safe in your accommodation, you were relocated to an alternative room and I appreciate that this may have been inconvenient to you.

Your comments regarding our leisure facilities are noted and will be shared with the Club Manager and similarly, your comments regarding your evening dining experience will be passed on to our Food & Beverage Manager. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the wide variety of food available at breakfast and I am pleased that this was a positive experience for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again and thank you for your constructive comments.

With kind regards.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a work trip and enjoyed the stay. Room was wonderful and the god at the restaurant a treat.

Great service from all I met, some may find the restaurant a bit pricey with a bit of rump steak at over £25.

I stayed in room 608 in the resorts village. Room had a very large soft bed and a balcony.

From the chatter outside the main building at night I think the best night's sleep is to be had away from the main building and in the village.

Stayed July 2014
IanICullen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and I am glad to read that overall your visit was a positive one and that the service you received from all our team members was excellent.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and I do hope that you may have an occasion in the future to visit the hotel again as a leisure guest rather than a business delegate..

With kind regards.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having paid about the same price for a room in a travel lodge recently I was overwhelmed by the quality and service and facilities (gym, pool, sauna etc.) available here. I stayed in the village but my room had the softest bed with the fluffiest pillows I had ever experienced! The pillow spray was a beautiful touch! We I left I was completely relaxed and felt that I had really given myself a treat - thank you so much!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank paperworkfairy
I am delighted that your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes was a relaxing break and the service and variety of facilities available met and exceeded your expectations. The hotel’s bedding is frequently commented upon due to its comfort, luxuriousness and softness and I am pleased that you found this to be the case also.

How lovely to read that you left the hotel feeling completely relaxed, having had such a wonderful time and we do hope we can look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

With kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My two daughters and I have just returned from a two day/one night Spa break at this great hotel to celebrate a birthday. Everything was faultless - staff friendly and attentive, room comfortable, spacious and clean, food wonderful and Spa treatment so relaxing. Such good value too. We will definitely be returning so we can be spoilt again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally S
How kind of you to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes .

I am delighted that your stay was so enjoyable for you and your daughters and that all elements met your expectations. I note that you would return in the future and this is wonderful news; we look forward to welcoming you back.

With kind regards
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!