“overnight stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
harrow
“overnight stay”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here for 1 night after a party in nearby Chingford. Used the pool / sauna / steam room. Although no Jacuzzi bubbles in the spa pool ?? Great for a quick spa before a night out ! Room was basic , clean and comfortable and had all we needed for 1 night. Booked through hotels.com as cheaper than Marriott website. Good location for m25.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed overnight for a nearby wedding. We arrived much earlier than the check in time for our 2 rooms. The Manager on duty went out of his way to ensure that one of the rooms became available for us. We had better service from him and his staff that in some of the top hotels in London. Only one small criticism , breakfast was a buffet, a bit on the lukewarm and dry side, but again very pleasant staff.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed here for 1 night , Saturday 4th May . Lovely hotel , nice friendly, efficient reception , check in was very smooth. Reception/Bar area very welcoming. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. All the staff we had contact with were helpful & friendly
The food was absolutally dreadful ! and Cold . Evening meal was awful , poor choice, it was buffet style , The soup inedible , main course consisted of meat loaf or greasy chicken pieces , veg option was spinaich & ricotta cheese . Mash potatoe that tasted like "smash" and frozen veg . It was possibly one of the worst meal combinations I have ever had to endure. The desert was ok , but the "pouring cream" was just like skimmed milk - we did complain that it was cold to the person who looked like she was in charge. Little was done , but she did change the "skimmed milk" for something a little thicker , which looked a little more like cream. Breakfast on Sunday morning was just the same ........COLD. I can manage cold bacon & sausage , but cold beans , egg and mushrooms just dont taste the same. If i had wanted a cold breakfast I would have chosen the continental option !

Travelled as part of a coach tour ( there were 7 in out immediate party)

If you were to stay here on a "Room Only" basis you will be fine , but dont include meal plan

My 1st ever stay in a Marriot Hotel and judging this on the food choice/options/ quality ....... It will certainly be my last . Sorry Marriot

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
s_clifford_banks, Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Mar1uk,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your comments following your recent stay with us. Whilst I am pleased to read your positive comments about some aspects of your stay, I was concerned to read your feedback regarding the quality of the food provided for you and your tour party. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this poor experience.

My team and I are committed to providing the highest possible level of customer service and food quality. As such I have conducted a thorough investigation into what went wrong on the weekend in question, as well as a review of the menu choice offered that evening. The menu on the night was one of our set buffet menus which I have asked my Head Chef to amend following your feedback.

The temperature issues you experienced on both the Saturday night and Sunday morning were due to the failure of our induction hobs that heat our buffet serving dishes. These hobs operate on sensors and can (albeit rarely) 'trip' during service. The service staff should have noticed this and rectified the matter quickly, I'm very sorry this wasn't the case on this occasion.

I do hope you reconsider your decision to avoid our hotel in future as I can assure you this was the exception rather than the norm.

Yours faithfully,

Seth Clifford-Banks
Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Waltham Abbey hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We were attending a nearby family wedding with most of us booked in here. The rooms were excellent and properly appointed. One complaint which they took note of (and I hope resolved) was a non-draining sink. I really hate that and it should have been noticed and fixed. However, very helpful and friendly staff both at the bar, front desk and restaurant more than made up. The location is ideal, right on the M25 next to the M11 junction and Epping Forest.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My husband and I spent a very pleasant weekend touring London during the day and staying overnight at this modern, smart hotel.

A very attractive hotel in a very nice setting. The rooms are spotlessly clean, very well appointed with lovely, crisp bed linen. Super, spacious bathrooms with ample bath and hand towels, nice quality toiletries and, unusually, excellent bright lighting. Most impressive!

A nice, bright, airy restaurant serving tasty, nourishing food. The friendly, helpful staff were an added bonus.

We would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed here recently as we had a wedding in the area. My girlfriend had booked for the night of the wedding and some time later i found a deal for the night before which I booked in my name. There is only space to make brief comments on the booking form but the hotel had picked up on that and allowed us to stay in the same room with a simple key swap in the middle, which was very handy! The staff were so friendly at all times and the 20m pool is superb. It is a great hotel and I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I stayed here for a weekend-long conference at a nearby school and was very impressed with the standard of the hotel. We arrived an hour before check-in, and staff were very happy to hand our entire party (12 or so rooms) room keys for us to unpack before travelling to the first part of the conference.
Over the weekend we made use of the gym which was very well equipped, and lounge bar which was extremely expensive - as most hotels are! Expect to pay double price for a latte than in a high street coffee shop.
The hotel have recently introduced free wi-fi for an hour, although it took us quite a while to establish how this worked. Otherwise wi-fi was extremely expensive, but the available printing facilities made up for this.
Breakfast was by far one of the best I have had at a hotel before, the restaurant had everything from American waffles to fruit teas. Handmade breads were amazing and the choice available was stunning.
Rooms were very spacious, soundproofed well, and staff were very quick to provide an extra duvet for when I got a bit cold one evening!
All in all a very pleasant stay, and I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
#3 of 4 in Brentwood
Royal Chace Hotel
Royal Chace Hotel
#2 of 5 in Enfield

Been to Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!