“Good place to stay, can be noisy”

Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
Reviewed 9 September 2013

As Marriott's go, this one has to be up there, and that's saying quite a lot.

It's a bit out of the way for London tourists, it's really for car travellers, but the building and grounds are well presented. The staff were particularly helpful and friendly. We had dinner and breakfast there, buffet both times, and the food and service were good.

I can understand those reviewers who didn't like their parking charges, it's not in the centre of a city or anything, but for me my beef was the wifi. Yes, it's free in the reception and dining areas, but you have to pay for access in your room. Very 1990's, and at £6 an hour or £15 a day for full access, it's steep.

But other than that, it's a good hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms, and a decent restaurant. And you would also like the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the end of a corridor, unless they can guarantee that their guests will be quiet afte...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff P

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was disappointed to learn that on arrival only, I was made aware that only credit card payments were acceptable .I have debit visa which is acceptable in most premises but not here.On this family event many of our family were embarrassed because we were not aware of the hotels policy.Why is a large deposit required if trying to pay by cash ?.I thought a large hotel group would offer many ways for payment ,not enforce their policy without prior information on bookings.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

I already stayed in 2 other Marriot hotels in the Hoddesdon area for work, so I thought I could expect the same in this hotel...
Rooms: up to the standard I already knew of other Marriotts in the world: clean and comfortable.
Staff: Ok, they do what they can, but need to learn the neighbourhood better; when you book a taxi to a big company in the surroundings, you would not expect an answer like 'well, give the address to the driver...'. Also having you repeat your roomnumber several times in the same occasion does look not professional: if I book a taxi for tomorrow and give my room number twice, it will stay the same roomnumber if I make reservations for the restaurant.
Restaurant: mediocre quality, not bad, but I would eat elsewhere if there was an alternative closeby... During my stay there was also a 'Jamaican theme night' one would expect on the Costa Brava, but not in a 4 star hotel.
Vacuuming the reception area during morning rush is not a good idea, I tripped over the extention cord while paying the bill at checkout.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

...staff are polite, friendly, and eager to please. Great pool--divided in thirds for kids, adult laps, and hot tub. Free Wi-fi in lobby; bar and restaurant service, too. Location is not conducive to walking; and it's a £10 can ride to Loughton tube stop. Rooms clean and modern, but tight if you add a foldout bed. Nearby town (a couple of pounds by taxi) has magnificent 950-year-old cathedral.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Service good. Payment for car park disappointing , many parked on road nearby. Upgraded room was a bonus. Waltham Abbey Town centre full of nail shops!!!!! Will return to hotel as convenient location for visiting family.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret S
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My colleague and I spent 10 hours working in the reception area and the person that opened up the lounge bar/cafe area was not very friendly! She seemed to have t,he twitted that everything qs too much trouble nod that we were in the way!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
s_clifford_banks, Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Robert W

Thank you for your posting regarding the service in the Tempo bar. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, this is certainly not the impression we should be giving to our valued guests. Whilst we are proud of the usual great customer service and friendly staff we have at our hotel, we have clearly let ourselves down on this occasion.. Please accept my sincerest apologies, I will ensure your feedback is discussed with the team and I am certain your next visit will a much more positive experience.

Warm regards,

Seth Clifford-Banks
Director of Operations

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here on business. Firstly the friendliness of some of the staff was found to be lacking at times (not all as others were friendly). The cleanliness of the hotel was not always great (food on the chair in the bar and the remote control in the room having food on it - not nice). As a group we ate in the Thyme Bar which is where the issues began. The hotel lost our record of our pre ordered food (which they requested), the menu then provided in the restaurant had less choice than the original menu. I had a Caesar salad as a starter and found mud on the lettuce. I pointed this out and the staff only offered to replace (I had nearly finished it and so declined). Not good. The bathroom had lime scale and the bath tap dripped constantly. High prices for WiFi in the rooms (free in the bar) and you have to pay to park (in a scruffy parking area). No one checked if my stay had been good or not. Really disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
#3 of 4 in Brentwood
Royal Chace Hotel
Royal Chace Hotel
#2 of 5 in Enfield

Been to Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!