“Distinctly average hotel - massively overpriced - beware ParkingEye scam” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel

Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
VXFoxy
“Distinctly average hotel - massively overpriced - beware ParkingEye scam”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Yes, the hotel and staff are nice but it's nothing special. £120 for a standard room is too much in my opinion and to charge £6 for 1 HOUR WI-FI is daylight robbery. £16 for breakfast is a joke!!
My room had noisy aircon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VXFoxy
s_clifford_banks, Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear VXFoxy,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us. Whilst I appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and staff, I'm sorry we have failed to meet your expectations regarding the wifi and breakfast pricing.

We do offer standard room rates which include breakfast as well as superior room rates which include internet charges and car parking. I'm sorry if these were unavailable on the night in question.Should you be looking to stay in the area again in the not too distant future please be sure to book as far in advance as possible to find the best deal.

Please also feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so I can welcome you personally and ensure your stay is comfortable and more fully meets your expectations.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Stebbing, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Arranged to meet familly here for a meal. Phoned and told restaurant open till 5pm. Arrived at 4.10 to be told we should have booked, so ate in bar. A week later we have 2 parking tickets for 100 pounds each. Never imagined a hotel would charge for parking (and not tell you). My wife has organised conferances here for 30+ people before, NEVER AGAIN. David Aspin.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank david_aspin
Dear Mr Aspin

Thank your for your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel. I'm sorry to hear of your issue when trying to dine in our Thyme Restaurant. Whilst we do prefer to take reservations for Sunday lunch, especially after 3pm, we are also very happy to accept 'walk-in' diners at any time as long as we can accommodate the size of party. I am sorry we were not able to offer you a table in the restaurant on this occasion.

I am sorry also that you have received parking fines following your visit. Whilst there are charges for car parking, if you spend in excess of £10 in our bar or restaurant then you qualify for free parking. It is necessary however to register your car at our reception desk to avoid receiving a fine. This policy is displayed on our car park signs as well as on table tent cards within the bar. I am sorry however that you were not made aware or this policy. If you have not done so already, please refrain from paying this fine and contact the hotel's Personal Assistant Jan Goodall (jan.goodall@marriotthotels.com or 01992 717170) with the details of your fine and bar receipt and we will ensure the fine is reversed.

Travellers are raving about these Waltham Abbey hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

One of the best marriotts I have ever stayed in, reception perfect, room massive and very comfy, restaurant amazing (half a lobster for only £13) bar staff like being in a 5 star Central London hotel.

Ignore the bad comments.

You pay for parking in 90% of hotels these days and it's only £4 for 24 hours

£99 bed and breakfast bargain!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Simon J
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Just to follow on from previous reviews...

Took my mother who has a disabled blue badge and forgot to register at the front desk of hotel

To my horror a week later I receive a 100 pound fine in the post !!!!

Spoke to hotel who didn't seem that bothered .... Leaves a very bitter taste

Will not be coming back or recommending

If this hotel was situated in central London I could understand the parking policy.... Given the actual location it's absolute disgrace to even charge for parking let alone 100 pounds fine !!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jonb930
s_clifford_banks, Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Jonb930,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us earlier this month.

I am very sorry to hear that you have received a parking fine following your visit. As you may know car parking is complimentary for blue badge holders, however you are required to register your vehicle with our Front Desk team.

If you have not done so already, please refrain from paying this fine and contact the hotel's Personal Assistant Jan Goodall (jan.goodall@marriotthotels.com or 01992 717170) with the details of your fine and blue badge and we will ensure the fine is reversed.

Kind regards

Tibenham, Norwich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night earlier this month. The hotel and room were fine, but I really do object at having to pay extra to park my car there and to use the internet. The hotel is just off the M25 in Waltham Abbey. How else are people going to get there? If they must make a charge for parking then why not include it in the bill? As for the Internet, I find it extraordinary in the second decade of the 21st century that a hotel is making a huge charge - £6 for an hour? It spoiled an otherwise pleasant stay.
What made it really worthwhile was the restaurant - see separate review

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alan H
Dear Alan H,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and in particular the food.

I am sorry you were not happy about our charges for internet and car parking. Whilst we do charge for internet use in our bedrooms, it is free in all our public areas (bar, restaurant, lobby) and also it is included if you book a Superior room.

As you rightly point out, car parking is also chargeable, however we have kept the overnight charge to a minimal £4. As with the internet we do also include this in all Superior room bookings.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Marriott for a friend's wedding, the hotel itself was typical standard for a marriott, nice and clean, a little annoying having to pay for parking. We ate in the hotel restaurant for breakfast and 1 evening meal, the breakfast selection was good and the staff were kind enough to let us come for breakfast 30mins after it was supposed to be closed on the first day (we hadn't realised breakfast was included in the rate- perhaps the front desk could have informed us upon check-in) Overall the hotel was pretty good, the concierge was extremely helpful with the HUGE amount of luggage we had which was much appreciated. One of our friend's was also extremely impressed when, upon realising he had forgotten to bring a belt for the wedding one of the staff members lent him theirs! That's going above and beyond! One compliant would be the fact that I'm 99% sure I left both a camera charger and a rather expensive hair slide in the room but upon contacting the hotel I was informed nothing had been found, this was a little disappointing but my fault I suppose.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank katieannsenior
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have no real complaints about the hotel staff, food or quality of accommodation. Everything was good with one exception...£15 for 24 hours internet !!!!!!

The hotel would have scored much higher but in todays world this is far from acceptable. I would recommend getting a room close to the 'Public Areas' in order to access the free Wifi. The bandwidth is not massive and streaming would be difficult during busy periods (early evening).

Room Tip: Close to the public area is better for free wifi.