“Consistently high standard”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
Dolgellau
“Consistently high standard”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Another Premier Inn review and another high mark - the company seem to have found the secret of employing friendly helpful staff and having consistent quality in their room. Stayed for one night at Waltham Abbey and the whole experience was as good as could be expected. Friendly smiling staff at reception on check-in, a clean quiet room and a good night's sleep.

After a run in the morning I even managed breakfast at the Bakers Arms next door and that was also well presented and good quality and once again the staff were helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We use this hotel quite a lot over the last 6 years at least as we have family in the area and it has been consistently very good. Handy for the M25 and has quite a lot of attractions in the close vicinity including Lee Valley Park and Gunpowder Mills - and even more since the Olympics (but not been to any Olympic sites ourselves).
The only issue is a boost and a drawback in one - The Bakers Arms (the on site pub / restaurant) is quite popular with locals (food is quite acceptable - but not as good as when we first started and it was independent) but it is very busy and this last time (Sat 11th & Sun 12th May) we couldn't get in for Breakfast!! Didn't have any other meals there as we ate with family.
The other issue I have is that when there isn't an offer on the price of a nights stay can be high, and often have had to pay £140 for 2 nights at weekend. I suppose its market forces, but like all London area hotels you often have to pay for much more than you get.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms can suffer from squeaky floorboards on the First Floor especially if other gu...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

After our horror experiences in the Quality Hotel Dudley, we were happy to get to the Premier Inn in Waltham Abbey at the end of our trip.

The check-in was flawless, with warm and welcoming staff. The rooms large and bright, with king-sized comfortable beds and a choice of pillows. All of the facilities were up to scratch, and we had a relaxing couple of nights there.

If I have to make a really minor gripe: I really don't like the automated air fresheners in the corridors, they really smell of chemicals and irritate my throat.

So far I've never had a bad stay at a Premier Inn, and this stay continues my positive view of the chain.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chatteris, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Arrived here for an overnight stay and this was very close to the Wedding venue "Kings Oak Hotel" Rooms seem larger than average and the bed was huge and very comfortable. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. We had a lunch next door at the Bakers Arms which was fair to middling but cheap as there was a deal on ! the Eton mess Cheesecake dessert was a very large portion. Even I struggled with it!!!But they had a good selection of wines to choose from. At breakfast it was really busy and one poor girl was run off her feet filling up and refilling I think you need 2 people for this job I didn't get her name but she seemed to be in charge so good on her for mucking in. Breakfast was as always great value.

Room Tip: I think an upstairs room would be quieter than the ground floor one we had
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Close to the Lee Valley White Water centre and tucked away in a quiet area just south of the M25. Rooms a little bigger than the Premier Inn average and the beds big enough for Lenny Henry. Up to date fittings int he bathroom however still has the straight rail shower curtain over the bath which I hate, I would much rather have a curved one - when will they get the message? Either the floors are poorly insulated for sound or there was a small herd of elephants booked in upstairs who did not settle down to sleep until nearly 1pm. Maybe ask for an upstairs room if you don't want to be disturbed. Unfortunately breakfast is only served from 8 at weekends so is not friendly to those of us who have to work at weekends. I wish they could at least do a continental breakfast from 7 at weekends. Heating is controlled by a thermostatic heater and there is no air conditioning. Maybe I was the first to want hot water in the morning but it did on this occasion seem to take and inordinately long time to arrive although it did eventually.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Hampshire, Uk
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We needed somewhere to sleep for the night after attending a friend's party. This Premier Inn fitted the bill perfectly. Easy parking in a convenient location near the M25, and a comfortable room at a good price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This was the first time I have stayed in a Premier Inn and I was impressed. The room was spacious and clean, although there were traces of mold in the bathroom and the bath panel needed changing. The staff were accommodating and allowed members of our party into their rooms early to change for a wedding. I did find all the questions about how I wanted my breakfast in the Chef & Brewer next door a bit too much first thing in the morning but then I did get what I asked for. The staff also kept safe my expensive jacket which my silly partner dropped in the car park on our arrival and I didn't know I had lost until I returned home 2 days later.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Premier Inn Loughton/Buckhurst Hill Hotel
Premier Inn London Chingford Hotel
Best Western Plus Epping Forest

Been to Premier Inn Waltham Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!