“Not as good as it looks” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of FujiYama

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not as good as it looks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Oh where do I start.

I had Chicken Teriyaki . My chicken had more skin than meat. The meat was cold ( most likely pre-cooked and chopped) and the sauce was tasteless, what I can only describe as soy sauce with sesame seeds.

The best thing was when my vegetarian friend got her veg tempura with wee fishtails sticking out of it. Staff suggested she ordered in Japanese and made a mistake, which wasn’t the case.

Expensive option considering the quality of food and what you get.

My friends do recommend the plum wine though, which is actually a spirit.

• Visited April 2014
FJY126, General Manager at FujiYama, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Alice,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your experience at FujiYama.

We are sorry to hear that the Chicken Teriyaki was not to your liking. We don't precook our meat and I am quite surprised that an issue was not raised on the night if the chicken was not hot. We keep the skin on our chicken as this seals the moisture in. I understand that different cultures like different cuts of meat, but in Japan, you can often find skewers of chicken skin as a delicacy (called Tori Kawa). We do occasionally receive requests from customers to serve the Chicken Teriyaki without skin and we are more than happy to do this if we know in advance.

Our homemade teriyaki sauce has had great feedback overall as we use many different ingredients to cook it. I can assure you it is not just soya sauce and sesame. Again, I'm sorry that it was not to your taste.

I believe that on the night there was a genuine misunderstanding with the tempura because we have one which is just vegetables and one which is seafood and vegetables.

I hope that if you do decide to return, you will have a more pleasant dining experience.

Rochford, United Kingdom
“Great fun with friends but very average overpriced Teppanyaki”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We went with a group of us on a week night for the Teppanyaki. Not everyone wanted this option but we were told if we wanted to sit together we would have to all have this, so i agree on the other reveiews about them being inflexable. The chef was very amusing and made us laugh throughout the evening, and watching the food being cooked in front of you is great fun. However, I am not entirely sure that Japanese cooking should consist of adding "French" Brandy (surely it should be a Japanese spirit?) and teriyaki sauce to everything. I love Japanese food usually for its variety of flavours, but here everything tasted of the same sauce, whether it was beef, chicken or fish. There were several members of our party that have spent a fair bit of time in Japan and non of them were even slightly impressed.

The waitresses were very attentive with the drinks, perhaps too much so as more beers were arriving when the 1st ones had not been finished yet. This could have accounted for the enourmous bill at the end, which was not broken down in any form, just a hand written total and my deposit deducted. We had no way of double checking anything and as they were closing at this point and all standing around with their arms folded, all previous humour now gone, we decided we had better just pay up!!!

I would recommend this restaurant for a party of people with money to burn and no taste buds, if you are even slightly discerning about your food then go elsewhere. It is good fun if there is a large group of you, but this is not good Japanese food.

We will not be going back for the Teppanyaki, but may try the Sushi at some point to see if that fairs any better

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Lynn J
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't agree with Sophie G below more”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Too expensive!!!!!
Not flexible!!!!
Poor experience all round!!!!

Each item was cooked in the same sauce so everything tasted the same almost unless the chef put a small amount of brandy on the hot plate.
Low level of interaction with the customers and this was shown when people were expected to catch just one small piece of egg. Yawn. That's old. Learn something new to do and make the show exciting after all I'm not paying £40 for a course of food which I could cook at home on a hot plate.

Sadly this restaurant has had it's day unless it can reinvent itself which I'd like to see. I love Japanese food but I can't see this being value for money the way it is.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Preddi007
Sydney, Australia
“Expensive and unflexible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Had heard the tepanyaki show cooking is fun but its really expensive for what you get (only lasted an hour or so) and they wouldn't be a bit flexible with it so I could just have what I wanted.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Mandy H
FJY126, General Manager at FujiYama, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hello,

Firstly thank you for taking your time to write a review of your experience.

I was working on the evening of your visit and from what I recall you ordered the Meat set meal which came with mains of Chicken and Fillet Steak of which you wanted to swap Chicken for another portion of Fillet Steak. Unfortunately, because the TeppanYaki set meals are designed with a certain price point in mind, I hope you can appreciate that we can't swap a piece of chicken for a piece of steak. Our staff advised that you could order a la carte portions if you did not like the set meal but of course the decision lies with the customer.

Best Regards,

Parga, Greece
“Lovely food, slight attitude problem”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went here as a party for the Teppanyaki experience. The food was lovely, huge portions, the cooking experience was fun and the waitresses very attentive. We did have to move towards the end as there is another sitting which was ok, but it was the way we felt we were yesterdays news.

We asked about a few items on the bill as some of us were driving so were not drinking, others had ordered bottles of wine and we were treated like we were querying the bill which we weren't we just wanted clarification of what some of the drinks were JB?? Japanese beer apparently?

The lady went off in a huff and started talking to her colleague whilst nodding over in our direction in Japanese which made us feel very awkward. We counted out our money which we checked and double checked as some were paying on cards. This was then brought back to us saying it was short??? We had all checked and counted it out and now we were short?? Evaporated??

So all in all, the food was good but then for £40 per head it should be, 10% service charge was pretty criminal, we left with a sour taste and probably won't return.

• Visited November 2013