Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Priceline
Ilfracombe House Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)
US$111
US$104
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$91
PremierInn.com
Seven Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)
US$143
US$130
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Last Post(Southend-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$68
Travelodge
US$97
  • Beachfront
All reviewssea viewcliffs pavilionstreet parkinglarge bathroombuffet breakfasttwin roomafternoon teabooked this hotelwould stay againthames estuaryone night staywedding partylovely viewsaturday nightwedding receptionsandwicheshigh street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked this hotel as I was taking my girlfriend to a show at the Cliffs Pavilion theatre.
The price of the hotel was very reasonable.
It took us between 2-3 minutes to walk to the theatre and is about a 10 minute walk from the town.It is situated above the cliffs so has a good sea view.
The room (205) was a good size,clean and had a comfortable double bed.There was plenty of tea,coffee and milk,and more would have been suppliied if needed.
The breakfast was self service,with cereal,fresh fruit,toast plenty of choice of cooked food.The hot food was very well presented and cooked. The waiting staff were very quick to clear away the used plates and were very curtious.
We arrived at 12:15 and asked to leave our bags as the check in was at 14:00 only to be told our room had been cleaned and we could check in then."Bonus"
The only downside is that the hotel has no parking places but you can park in the side streets around the hotel.
I would certainly use this hotel if I was staying in Southend again,especially if going to the theatre and would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark P
WestMng, Reception Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write to us. We are very grateful for your kind comments and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Everyfing was perfect from the location of the hotel to the amazing views and the room, hot and delicious buffet breakfast and the superb staff. Everyone is willing to help!!! Will come back again 100%. No doubt about that!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
WestMng, Reception Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for leaving your feedback on tripadvisor. We are very pleased to hear you had a nice time at The Westcliff Hotel. We are also very delighted with your outstanding feedback about our staff.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reception Team

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at the Westcliffe whilst in the area on business.

Check in was seemless and the young lady Cathy was very welcoming and professional.

My room ( 206 ) was spacious, well presented, very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a little dated but this is a very minor observation as the overall room experience was very good. The rooms even have blackout curtains which is a nice touch for a good nights sleep.

As a frequent traveller I use all the clearing sites whenever I stay in hotels. I saw the room with breakfast on Booking for £56.70 so I contacted the hotel directly to see what rate they could do ( as they have to pay a commission to the booking sites ) To my surprise they offered me £63.00 for the same deal...even though i told then Booking.com's price!

How can it make sense, apart from the inconvenience of me having to fire up the laptop to make the booking through Booking.com, for hotels to do this? It make absolutely no economic or logical sense whatsoever. They ended up getting much less than £50.00 for my room after they paid their commission to the booking site. Most charge between 10 and 15%.

All I wanted was for them to match the price on the telephone...as this was the easiest way for me as I was on the motorway driving to Southend. I wish someone could explain why any hotel would want less for their rooms than a customer was willing to pay.

Getting back to the review...breakfast was very good and the chap in the breakfast room was really helpful and efficient.

I really enjoyed my stay and will stay here again but remember to check the booking sites for the best rates!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cags1970
WestMng, Receptiom Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments on tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
With regards to the price we offer the 'Business Direct' rates and it is the cheapest rate we offer to the customers, if you found any better deals even though you would need to book it online. If you wish to know more details about Business Direct rates please do not hesitate to contact us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Reception Manager

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Like with everything in Southend, only certain things are good in there. These included: a quiet room and a nice view once you are out of the hotel. Breakfast was not good, so better not have it on offer. I see no point in staying in Southend further than what is your business needs require.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
WestMng, Reception Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I will address your comments to our breakfast chef and the management.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the future.

Reception Team

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The staff were friendly at check in. We were directed to our room. We used, what may be the smallest lift, in the world. We entered our room, room 222. It was small, but sufficient for our stay of 1 night. We had a good view and we overlooked the gardens that lead to seafront.
Upon entering the bathroom, it went downhill rather rapidly. It was disgusting. There has been a bodge job to fit a splash board around the floor. It was coming away from the wall. There was something dirty looking all around the edging. The shower dial had a big crack and was an accident waiting to happen.
I told the receptionist, as we were leaving for the night. She asked if we wanted to move rooms. As we were just going out, and would only be staying one night, she said breakfast would be free. The following day I took photos. I spoke to a different receptionist and showed her the pictures. She said £10 would be removed from the bill. I said that the breakfast had also been offered free and could she make sure it was removed from the bill.
All fine and good. Breakfast was so so. Eggs sitting in fat, toast having to go through the machine twice, only to be browned on one side....
Today I checked my bank account. £10 reimbursed, no breakfast discounted! Not a happy bunny. Would I stay there again, no. Would I recommend it to anyone, no. And you need to take out a mortgage if you want to drink at the bar.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
WestMng, Reception Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest

I am very sorry to read that you had a less than perfect experience at the Westcliff Hotel and I sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay.

I would like to assure you that I have spoken to the team members involved and corrective action has been taken to ensure that these isolated incidents do not happen again.

Kind regards