“Been going for 10 years now, and unlike others nearby has survived the economic downturn”
Review of Paparazzi Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

Paparazzi Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I've been here several times, and it's always been good. Most recently, in a party of four, three of us really enjoyed our meal; the person who ordered pizza was a bit disappointed. However, especially good is the garlic pizza bread starter - great to nibble on while waiting for your main course.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I chose the Paparazzi restaurant following a review, ironically, on Tripadvisor. I was searching for an authentic Italian restaurant to celebrate a birthday.

Now, my idea of an authentic italian restaurant would be a restaurant that is cosy, intimate, subtly lit, red tablecloths on the tables, candles in bottles covered in wax remains, walls adorned with pictures of Italian arts, or Italian cities, and above all, appropriate music, such as operatic or at the very least, of a romantic orchestral genre. Well, I am afraid that this restaurant has none of that whatsoever.

When we arrived, we were rather disturbed to find a bar near the entrance frequented by a rather noisy group of individuals who I assumed had just popped in for a drink, rather than to eat.

We were shown to our table, fortunately a little way away from the raucous group at the bar, and were promptly shown the menu. We were again surprised to find a television close to our table, screening a football match! Unless my ears deceived me, we also noted that the "Italian" music was in fact a Robbie Williams CD. The Italian ambience was therefore zero.

The menu had a variety of offerings, including pastas (naturally), fish, and meat. There were also a few specials on the board. Having perused the menu, we couldnt help noticing that many of the beef dishes, such as meatballs, and beef lasagne, for example, were mixed with pork. So if you didnt like pork, then you had to pass on these popular dishes. We opted for the vegetable pasta as a starter, and mozzarella with tomatoes, together with bread and oils.
These were served quickly and were very enjoyable.

For mains, I ordered a duck breast in plum sauce, and my partner a roasted vegetable lasagne.. My duck dish was well cooked, although the sauce was insipid. It came with carrots, broccoli, and some sauteed new potatoes. Though a little tasteless, it was reasonable.
The roasted vegetable lasagne looked very nice, but had a thick coating of cheese on the top. Having removed the cheese overcoat, we could not find any discernible roasted vegetables, or layers of pasta for that matter. It looked like the previous days vegetable leftovers had been pureed, along with some pasta, and thrown in a dish. We rejected this dish, and declined a further choice from the menu.

For dessert, we chose profiteroles, and home made tiramisu. The profiteroles were good, although the tiramisu a little bland.

Unable to endure the Robbie Williams music any longer, and having been placed next to two guys discussing football all evening, we oped for the bill and left.

What was to have been a birthday celebration was a disaster..

Paparazzi i imagine is more for a boys night out than a romantic dinner. I can imagine what it must be like on a busy evening with a crowd at the bar; awful.

I am sorry, but the restaurant needs to refocus on its theme.

3  Thank mstribli
Reviewed 22 February 2014

4 of us (2 couples) were driving around trying to find a restaurant for the evening & discovered Papparazz. I'm glad we did because the venue is very nice and the menu selection excellent. Our food was as good as anywhere we have been and we are well travelled. Good value too. The staff are the genuine article & we would highly recommend this restaurant to one and all. A good night!

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely family meal over Christmas. Delicious food (desserts nothing special though). Great service. Relaxed atmosphere. Recommend it!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We visited Paparazzi recently with friends for dinner; wanted somewhere central in Westcliff close to the station so driving wouldn't be an issue! To be honest, it was a 'nice' evening although I must admit I wouldn't rave about the food...the starters were good but the main course a little disappointing; small size portions and the pasta I had was a bit non descript and perhaps a little overcooked. Dessert portions huge which made up for it! The welcome was pleasant and service good but as it wasn't that busy, there wasn't much of an atmosphere. The evening was a success as we were with good friends but not sure I'd rush back.