“Best Local Italian!”

Piccolo Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Best Local Italian!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived here by chance as on prowl for dinner having just returned from a trip. Family run and their care and passion showed in the fab food! I cook Italian a lot but I have to admit this was good, very good! Made to feel welcome and comfortable! Lip smacking Gamberoni Vulcano, just the right amount of chilli! Mmm! Hubby loved homemade Ravioli con Funghi! It got even better - very rarely I order Lasagne because mine is good, but this might be better - Awesome! But still it got better - homemade Peach prosecco sorbet with fresh peaches, Damn it Piccolo you win hands down! Could not manage coffee or offer of Limoncello but next time and there will be a next time very soon ;)

Essex
“Superb”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Fantastic family run Italian restaurant above the arches in westcliff!

The owner greets you like you are old friends and was absolutely wonderful with my children. When he asked my kids how big they wanted their pizza they held out their arms wide and shouted "this big". True to his word the pizza arrived and was absolutely enormous, we had to take half home. My husband commented that it was the best Italian he has had in this country, he had carpaccio followed by the thinly sliced lamb served with fresh veggies. My one criticism was that my pasta arriabatta was slightly overcooked but then I do like mine al dente. We didn't try dessert as we were saving ourselves for a Rossi ice cream on the walk back to the car.

All in all a fabulous meal with a cracking view across the estuary! Don't be put off by the slightly dated decor, it is a true gem of a place.

• Visited June 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great Meal”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

As we needed an early meal we booked a table for 6pm, and the place was pretty full (always a good sign) when we arrived. Service was excellent and drinks and starters arrived promptly.

The main courses were superb (veal & veg and Spaghetti Carbonara), piping hot, beautifully cooked and generous portions. And all at good prices :-)

A proper independent (family?) Italian restaurant, and 1000 times better than horrid high-street Italian 'restaurants'.

We would be very happy to eat here again...highly recommended.

• Visited June 2014
Maldon, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service. Great before a show at Cliffs.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Googled restaurants near Cliff's Pavilion and found this one. We booked a table for 6pm Friday evening and glad we did as it was soon full. Great location for pre-theatre meal. Lovely staff and great atmosphere. Food was great, hot, lots of it and served quickly. Extensive menu and good choice of specials. Very slick operation on show night when people need to get in, eat and leave quickly. I would love to go back when I have time to linger longer and have room for dessert.

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great place for a pre-show dinner”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked a table for 4 at 18:00 with a 20:00 show at the Cliffs Pavilion. The place was packed when we got there which I always see as a good sign. Even though it was busy we were shown to our table straight away and drinks order taken. We all had 3 courses and all the food was hot and good quality. I would recommend the Parma ham and mozzarella starter and the lasagne as main, both were very good. We got out at 19:45 so pretty good timing for the show at 20:00.

Only thing I would say is that the service was a bit slow at times. They seemed to struggle a little bit when the whole place is full and we had to ask for more drinks a couple of times and for the bill a few times. However is a nice little place to grab dinner before a show and would definitely recommend.

• Visited May 2014