“Total disaster ”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I've dined here before, as a regular theatre goer we do like to dine pre or post show. Previous visits have been OK, quite pricey for the quality of food but decided to try restaurant again as birthday treat prior to a show at the Cliffs Pavilion. We were seated around just after 6pm, we'd allowed ourselves plenty of time for a two course meal and then a drink in the theatre before the show starting at 8pm. Everyone seems to arrive at the same time, as of course most diners were off to the same show afterwards. This means that the restaurant almost instantly becomes packed! The tables are very close to each other and they really did cram as many people in as they can! We waited around 20 mins for our first drink! We had to pour the wine ourselves throughout the evening. It was hard enough getting the waiting staffs attention to order our food let alone expect an attentive wine service. It became apparent that our order maybe had not been put through when the table next to us who arrived after us had finished their mains and we still hadn't received our starter!! Trying to get a waiters attention was proving difficult, we were starting to worry we'd have to now rush our courses and no longer have time for a theatre drink. Our starter finally arrived 55 minutes after we were seated!!! We had been on the verge of walking out just as they appeared. Then came the worst part... My two large king prawns were covered in a tomato and garlic sauce, but to my absolute horror and my husbands and the lady on the next table who was so close was now involved in our dissatisfaction of the evening thus far, on trying to cut into them found my prawns were completely raw!!! We decided at that point to leave. The waiter was fairly apologetic, but not overly (far too busy!). Our special evening was spoilt, no pre show meal for us. So we left the restaurant hungry, disappointed but more importantly relieved that I'd not attempted to eat one of the prawns!! I wish now I'd taken a picture of them to show to the Food standards agency, as their grey slimy texture was very visible. Shall never be returning.

6  Thank BHG123

Reviewed 17 October 2017

We came here for a pre theatre meal on a Friday evening and were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the portions were generous. The waiters could not do enough for us even though the restaurant was packed.
Our friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience with the waiters laughing and joking with us and all of the other diners.
I used to come to this restaurant 30 years ago but then moved away from the area. I was pleased to see that the food is still great and the service is brilliant.
I would happily recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank macthevoice
Reviewed 15 October 2017

The restaurant was jammed with happy diners which gave it a wonderful buzzing atmosphere. We had 3 veal grilled chops, good size, cooked well. 1 salmon pasta, and a calves liver, some calamari, spaghetti and a bresaola to start which was all generously sized a delicious. Friendly service, but unfortunately very slow. Would definitely return.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

My husband and I fancied lunch out and decided to pop into Piccolo!. We weren't dissapointed. As soon as we arrived through the door we had a very warm welcome and a friendly smile. It felt like a family run restaurant. Smiles everywhere and they couldn't do enough for you. Whilst we were in there it was some bodies birthday and they played music and sang and made it very special. This place is a rough diamond and you won't be disappointed. Very friendly and not expensive but fantastic food and fantastic ambience. Can't wait to return. Please please please try this place, there's so much to chose from, what a fantastic place to eat, just wished we found this place sooner.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Went with friends for lunch. First visit for me and i was impressed by menu choices. Staff friendly and attentive, efficient service, food was tasty and fresh. Look forward to visiting again.