“Not at all happy with the cleanliness at this hotel”

Gleneagles Guesthouse
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I find that our opinion of this hotel reflects that of another reviewer who stayed in the Pier Suite.

It could have been a lovely room, as the view is arguably one of the best in Southend. Unfortunately, the room was shabby and quite dirty. The curtain in the small room are hanging off the rails as most of the hooks were missing. The drawer in the dressing table didn't shut properly. There was some hardened foam in the corner used to fill in holes. This was orange in colour and looked quite horrid.

The window sills were all dusty and had small insects on them. There were cobwebs in both rooms. The bathroom was not cleaned properly, marks on the mirror and a spoon left on the washbasin. The shower was mouldy and mildewed and needed a really good clean with limescale remover.

Some of the towels were really worn out, but some were OK. The pillows and mattress were really hard, but realise that is a matter of choice.

Overall the impression is one of neglect and a need of a complete makeover - it could be a lovely room, but failed miserably.

The breakfast was fine and the public rooms looked OK too. We were also asked to pay in advance as the card machine was broken..When we refused, they accepted payment at the end of the stay with no complaint.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Not an hotel but more of a bed and breakfast, but ever so nice. Highly recommendalble. Great wiev over the Thames Estuary if you are lucky, cosy room and full breakfast. The Parade is beautyful for a walk at any time. Had a lovely time there. Considering the amount I paid for my three nights, I have to give my stay her the highest rate. Mind you, it is simple, don't expect anything but the b&b.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I'm really sorry that I didn't take any photos of this place because the rooms are really rather nice. I have stayed in a few other B&Bs in the Southend area and this one generated the most positive first impressions.

I had a single room which was very small but perfectly formed, best described as cosy and quaint. Not dated like some of the other places I've stayed at but not clinical either. I had some family staying in a couple of the double rooms too and they were even nicer.

The breakfast was first class, very pleasant breakfast room and each of our breakfasts were made to order.

Furthermore the proprietors of the place really went out of their way to make our stay pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Visited for one night on 17/9/11 - were shown to a cute basement room which had access to a yard, where my husband could smoke! The room itself was small, we could not pass eachother around the bed at all (one of us had to move so the other could pass) and our knees touched the shower screen when you sat on the loo (we are not very tall people)! The decor was simple and cute but there was damp in the corners and paint was peeling off the walls in these places. It didn't bother me but my husband is more of a perfectionist! It was clean enough although the bed valance was ripped in many places probably due to people tripping over it as there was such little space to walk around the bed!

We were given keys to get in and out so no need to buzz when coming and going late at night or early in the morning. Owner seemed very nice, another reviewer has commented about her being rude but I think you could mistake her initial manner as not friendly (more shy/ akward) in the first instance but she was perfectly friendly and very accomodating during our stay.

Breakfast was very good, cereal and orange juice on the bar and a cooked breakfast on order. We had a kettle and tea and coffee in our room. The owner was happy to provide anything you asked for. The restaurant was very cosy and there was a lounge next to it with Sky tv where we watched the football after checking out.

Location was amazing - 10 mins walk from town centre and 5 mins to the pier. There was limited poarking for 3 cars behind the hotel but we did not have a problem getting one of those spaces when needed. Otherwise, it's Pay and Display on the streets.

For the money it was great for one night. We might have wanted more space if staying longer but would certainly recommend this to any couple.

Room Tip: Small rooms, not very well laid out so tell the owner if you need special requirements.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ncole91
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I live in Corfu, Greece and was in Southend for 2 weeks in April while undergoing intensive medical tests. Everyone at the Gleneagles was welcoming and made me feel welcome and comfortable, enabling me to forget the reason I was there. Breakfasts were good, rooms were comfortable and for the first week I was in a double although I had only booked a single.
I had lived for 20 years not far from the hotel so knew it was in a wonderful location for shops, food and everything I wanted.
Going back for a further week in October inthe knowledge all will be good as before.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandicorfu
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I wanted a hotel in southend for a Saturday night to take my son to Adventure Island and the pier etc for the weekend. The hotel was on budget and the staff were very friendly & helpfull when I called to book.

The room was a lovely size, had a nice en-suite with a nice big shower. The bed was huge and very comfortable, the room was nice and clean and included a modern big flat screen tv.

The breakfast was very nice, on offer was a choice of ceriels, orange juice, tea, coffee, toast and full english breakfast which was all grilled and was really good. The staff were very friendly throughout the stay and we had a great time.

I will definitely be using the hotel again as this really made an enjoyable weekend and I ony live an hour from there.

Nick
Braintree, Essex

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank buntonn
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stayed at this small hotel which is in a beautiful and peaceful area of Southend as i had an interview the following day. The room was clean and airy with a large freeview television, parked at the rear of the property and was given permission to leave it there till late in the day when the interview was over. The lady called Debra was really helpful and photocopied about 10 certificates for me whilst cooking breakfast.
I HAVE BEEN OFFERED THE JOB!!-So will be moving to Southend and shall recommend that my family and friends stay at Gleneagles when they visit

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank loveskiman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#7 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ilfracombe House Hotel
#9 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Gleneagles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!