“Flea pit”

Gleneagles Guesthouse
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed in this hovel for one night. Met by a ignorant man who grunted more than actually spoke. He showed me to a flea pit of a room which the on suite was separated from the room by a shower curtain. The room it's self was absolutley filthy with stuff stuck in the rug and when lifting the rug you could see the amount of dust on carpet. Also all ledges in the room where covered by thick dust proving that the room hadn't been cleaned for months.
Hotel, more like hostel. I would advise any human being from staying at this establishment unless you want to catch some bacterial disease filthy that you will be staying in.
You have been warned.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Robbo199
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

Thank you for your comments they are very helpful in raising standards as we have now taken ownership and take all feedback seriously. Penny and I toook ownership on 2nd November and we have plans to improve the facility. I do hope you will visit again soon and notice improvements though of course some may take time If you contact us quoting TAGP2Nov we will offer you a discount on your next stay.
Thanks agin for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 28 September 2012

No stars from me I'm afraid; no stars at all. I was treated very nicely when I arrived, in contrast to others apparently, but that's about where the good things end. My room was horrid. Horrid and dirty, although thankfully both bedding and towels were clean and fresh - frankly if I had been booked for more than one night, and/or if the linen had not clearly been clean, I would have left. A huge disappointment, ranking this hotel as four star is an insult to real four star places and makes a mockery of the rating system. Don't stay there unless you're desperate and/or only being charged £10.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AChileTraveller

Thanks agin for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed here with my husband on a Saturday night. Just needed a place to get ready & sleep as was attending a friend's birthday party in town so went for the cheapest I could find. I now regret this & wish I'd paid the extra £20 or so that other local B&B's/Hotels were asking for.

The location is extremely convenient for the town centre & seafront but unfortunately that's where the praise ends. We were in a room on the top floor which was tiny & the 'ensuite' was more like a shower in a cupboard. The room & the building really needs some updating - we had light fittings falling apart and a hole in the wall. Full English at breakfast but the beans were stone cold. Didn't have the heart to tell the lady serving as she seemed rushed off her feet & appeared to be working alone. All the above could be forgiven if the room had been nice & clean, which it wasn't. And for us that was the biggest disappointment. We don't have ridiculously high standards of cleanliness but the surfaces were dusty, the carpet had mud on & the sheets were stained.

It's a shame as the building clearly used to be lovely, but we won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank BabyJon

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed here for one night and was quite pleasantly surprised for the price I paid. The room was clean with en suite, the staff friendly, the breakfast good. Only a short walk to the town center and beach.
Towels supplied.
Extra coffee was offered at breakfast.
I have stayed in other budget places in Southend and they were awful, I will be returning here again.
Not sure about parking, I arrived by train.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room, small but functional, view to the rear of the building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2012

What a terrible experience, avoid this place at all costs. I was quoted £414 for 2 rooms for 3 nights. I advised the girl on the phone it would be late on 24th August we were arriving as we had a late flight from Belfast. We arrived about 11pm a man who I assume is the owner came to the door to meet us. He advised there was a mix up with the booking that only 1 room had been booked. We asked what we should do then, his response was a shrug of his shoulders. No apology or resolution. He advised we could stay that night but he was full for the rest the weekend. He then opened the door for us to leave and said he wouldn't have took a booking for 4 girls anyway. So basically this had nothing to do with a mistake in the booking he just did not want us to stay. So at 11pm at night on a bank holiday weekend we were left in a different country walking the streets trying to find somewhere to stay. Luckily the rest of the town weren't as ignorant and unhelpful as Gleneagles staff. Maybe you should learn how to apologise for a mistake and find a resolution for your customers in future otherwise you might not have customers for much longer. DONT FORGET CUSTOMERS PAY YOUR WAGE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Nothappycust
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The gleneagles hotel is an average hotel, not horrible but not fantastic. It is very handy for central Southend about five minutes walk from the pier or shopping centre.
Parking could be a problem especially at the weekend as Southend is a very popular resort.
The breakfasts were very good and the landlady and staff were very friendly and helpful.
Whichever way you choose to enter the hotel there are about eight steps so it is not very disabled friendly. The hotel is about 100 yards from the funicular lift to the promenade, so it is easy to return from the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 29-1-23
Reviewed 8 August 2012

i stayed in this hotel with my teenage daughter and 90 year old aunt.
we arrived early but were made welcome and were given a pot of coffee each while our rooms were being prepared. within a short period of time our rooms were ready and we were able to take our rooms.
myself and my daughter had room A. it was more like an apartment, with a huge bed (queen size i think). the bed,pillows and bedding was amazingly comfortable. the shower was also huge. plenty of wardrobe space and hangers and plenty of drawers.a flat screen tv, hairdryer and tea/coffee facilities.
the hotel had a very relaxed andcomfortable atmosphere, no-one bothered us.
Breakfast was delicious, well cooked and presented. we were asked if we wanted any more coffee/tea or toast etc and there was also cereals that you could help yourself to, so you certainly wouldnt be hungry.
location was superb. right on the cliffs with beautiful views and a 2 minute walk to the centre of town or the seafront.
Debbie (the manager), was extremely helpful and friendly in every way.
i would certainly recommend this hotel and would definately stay there again if i have the opportunity.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#5 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Camelia Hotel
Camelia Hotel
#3 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Gleneagles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!