“fantastic new owners”

Gleneagles Guesthouse
Braintree, United Kingdom
“fantastic new owners”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The new owners seem to have the right idea; they are friendly and enthusiastic and very welcoming.
The views over the seafront are amazing and the breakfast does not disappoint. The room has seemed to have had a thorough clean (no dust seen) and although i agree it could do with a little updating in places, talking to the owners this seems to be in hand, i would thoroughly recommend this as a great place to stay.

The bed was most comfortable, clean linen, fluffy towels and lovely smellies added as a bonus!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 123_laeast
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We are working hard to improve the facilities. In our first week we improved the breakfast offer and this week we have BT infinty broadband being installed so that guests can have high speed access to the internet. We will also be embarking on a programme of redecoration and upgrading in the coming months. In the meantime we look forward to welcoming guests old and new who can enjoy the panoramic sea views from our rooms at the front of the house.

Garry Lowen and Penny Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Despite the previous reviews I stayed at this guesthouse as I'd heard that the previous lady owner had sold and the new owners were a young and enthusiastic couple. And I wasn't disappointed! Room 3 on the first floor is the best with a spectacular sea view and more than enough space for us. The breakfast was terrific - full english with plenty of tea or coffee.

Yes, the place needs some tlc after the neglect of the previous owner, but Garry and Penny have plans to put all that right.

I'd advise anyone looking for a B&B guesthouse in Southend to give it a try - we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Like I said, go for room three if you can - 1st floor front.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arncliffe_01
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We are working hard to raise the levels of service and are glad your enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With best wishes

Garry Lowen and Penny Jones
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed in this hovel for one night. Met by a ignorant man who grunted more than actually spoke. He showed me to a flea pit of a room which the on suite was separated from the room by a shower curtain. The room it's self was absolutley filthy with stuff stuck in the rug and when lifting the rug you could see the amount of dust on carpet. Also all ledges in the room where covered by thick dust proving that the room hadn't been cleaned for months.
Hotel, more like hostel. I would advise any human being from staying at this establishment unless you want to catch some bacterial disease filthy that you will be staying in.
You have been warned.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Robbo199
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Thank you for your comments they are very helpful in raising standards as we have now taken ownership and take all feedback seriously. Penny and I toook ownership on 2nd November and we have plans to improve the facility. I do hope you will visit again soon and notice improvements though of course some may take time If you contact us quoting TAGP2Nov we will offer you a discount on your next stay.
Thanks agin for taking the time to write a review
Cheshire
Reviewed 28 September 2012

No stars from me I'm afraid; no stars at all. I was treated very nicely when I arrived, in contrast to others apparently, but that's about where the good things end. My room was horrid. Horrid and dirty, although thankfully both bedding and towels were clean and fresh - frankly if I had been booked for more than one night, and/or if the linen had not clearly been clean, I would have left. A huge disappointment, ranking this hotel as four star is an insult to real four star places and makes a mockery of the rating system. Don't stay there unless you're desperate and/or only being charged £10.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AChileTraveller
Thanks agin for taking the time to write a review
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed here with my husband on a Saturday night. Just needed a place to get ready & sleep as was attending a friend's birthday party in town so went for the cheapest I could find. I now regret this & wish I'd paid the extra £20 or so that other local B&B's/Hotels were asking for.

The location is extremely convenient for the town centre & seafront but unfortunately that's where the praise ends. We were in a room on the top floor which was tiny & the 'ensuite' was more like a shower in a cupboard. The room & the building really needs some updating - we had light fittings falling apart and a hole in the wall. Full English at breakfast but the beans were stone cold. Didn't have the heart to tell the lady serving as she seemed rushed off her feet & appeared to be working alone. All the above could be forgiven if the room had been nice & clean, which it wasn't. And for us that was the biggest disappointment. We don't have ridiculously high standards of cleanliness but the surfaces were dusty, the carpet had mud on & the sheets were stained.

It's a shame as the building clearly used to be lovely, but we won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank BabyJon
Thanks again for taking the time to write a review
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed here for one night and was quite pleasantly surprised for the price I paid. The room was clean with en suite, the staff friendly, the breakfast good. Only a short walk to the town center and beach.
Towels supplied.
Extra coffee was offered at breakfast.
I have stayed in other budget places in Southend and they were awful, I will be returning here again.
Not sure about parking, I arrived by train.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room, small but functional, view to the rear of the building.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2012

What a terrible experience, avoid this place at all costs. I was quoted £414 for 2 rooms for 3 nights. I advised the girl on the phone it would be late on 24th August we were arriving as we had a late flight from Belfast. We arrived about 11pm a man who I assume is the owner came to the door to meet us. He advised there was a mix up with the booking that only 1 room had been booked. We asked what we should do then, his response was a shrug of his shoulders. No apology or resolution. He advised we could stay that night but he was full for the rest the weekend. He then opened the door for us to leave and said he wouldn't have took a booking for 4 girls anyway. So basically this had nothing to do with a mistake in the booking he just did not want us to stay. So at 11pm at night on a bank holiday weekend we were left in a different country walking the streets trying to find somewhere to stay. Luckily the rest of the town weren't as ignorant and unhelpful as Gleneagles staff. Maybe you should learn how to apologise for a mistake and find a resolution for your customers in future otherwise you might not have customers for much longer. DONT FORGET CUSTOMERS PAY YOUR WAGE!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Nothappycust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#5 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ilfracombe House Hotel
#9 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Gleneagles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!