Gleneagles Guesthouse
Tower Hotel Apartments(Southend-on-Sea)
Muthu Westcliff Hotel(Westcliff-on-Sea)
The Welbeck Hotel(Westcliff-on-Sea)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsparking permitguest houseb bestuary suitetea roomtop floormarmaladefull englishstatue of queen victoriathe cliffbay windowafternoon teajacket potatosingle roomsandwichesbreakfast was amazingtown centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My second stay at this lovely hotel. Penny and Garry made me feel at home on my arrival. I had a lovely seaview room which was well stocked with tea, coffee and biscuits. The room was spacious and bed very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. I took advantage of recently opened coffee garden as the weather was good and enjoyed a couple of lunches (very nice menu!) Hotel ideally situated for pier, seafront, town centre and also Cliffs Pavilion for shows and concerts.

Room Tip: Although a solo traveller, I paid a little extra for a double room with sea view. Well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Audrey. Thank you for your kind comments. Penny and I are glad you enjoyed your stay . I hope next time you stay you will see even more changes as we work to upgrade this lovely building within the constraints its listed status allows . We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Booked this hotel on saturday 18th of may was told it was a double room then when I called he said no the room is a double but you can only have one person in it. I was very upset as It was for myself and my partners anniversary. I asked if it was possible to change room or cancel it as the information booking line was misleading and the manager said you can cancel the room by all means and there wont be a charge. The hotel still took the money from my bank and when I called hotel I was rudely spoken to and told that they had changed there mind and the charge still stands. Was so upset spoken to so unproffesionally. Would be very upset if this happened to anyone else so be aware money grabbers!!!!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kelly m
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Thank you for your comments. As you will have seen from previous reviews we rarely have any problems with Customer Service however on this occasion it would appear that something has gone awry. Perhaps I may explain. As I recall, I initially received a call from you enquiring about the price of a double room for 2 people. I then received a booking from you via booking .com for a double room with single occupancy. Your partner then rang to say that there had been a mistake with booking.com. I explained this was unlikely and that it was more likely that you had only booked 1 person into the room. I also explained if you paid the rate for 2 people in a double room you could have another person in the room. I did not as you claim refuse you permission for an extra person. Your partner said that he was not prepared to pay that, as it was confusing on booking.com and it was our fault. I reiterated that we rarely had any problems with booking.com and it was more likely an error on your part and also advised him again of the price of a double room.
Thank you for your interest in staying at Gleneagles. You may find it easier to book direct to ensure you can be clear about the number of occupants of the room and the cost of that.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed one night, very lucky with the weather, Room well stocked with tea and coffee facilities inc biscuits,sat outside on their pretty veranda, very nice environment with glorious flowers in view all well kept by a local gardening friend, indulgied in tasty lunch followed by lushious cream teas. However I was a little disappointed with breakfast as I found my hash brown hard and half of a tomato served(only a slice from the bottom, the bit I usually end up throwing away)egg, bacon okay,.toast underdone.. Other than that, beautiful views overlooking cliffs and sea.

Room Tip: 1st floor, perfect view of veranda and sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen W
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear Karen

Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the hard work of our gardener, whilst you enjoyed your Lunch and Cream Tea on our Terrace. I am sorry you didnt enjoy your breakfast as much as you should have done. It would appear our usual high standards slipped on this occasion and I can only apologise. As you will have seen from previous reviews we pride ourselves on the quality of our breakfast. I hope when you next visit, you will find our breakfast reflects our usual high standards.
We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I was performing in nearby Southend and got a great deal at The Gleneagles bearing in mind it was a very sunny Bank Holiday Monday.
The welcome was warm and friendly and my room was perfect for a solo traveller.
Fresh and clean with a good shower, nice lighting and a comfortable bed. Free wifi too ( chains take note, if a family run guest house can provide it, then you can! ) There was lot's of tea and coffee laid out and it just felt like someone cared, not always the case in B&B's.
I'd definitely stay again.
Mark Rough - Comedian

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Mark, thank you for your kind comments. We pride ourselves on giving the personal touch to our business as customers are Guests in our House. I am glad you felt that too. I hope next time you stay, you will see further improvements. I hope also you will be be able to sample our Breakfast.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

You will get the warmest of welcomes at the Gleneagles from Penny and Garry.

The guest house has a great location on the cliff top overlooking the sea and only a short stroll form the town centre and the Southend central railway station.

My single room was a little quirky with everything including the bathroom in the same room, however it offered real value for money was spotlessly clean and had all the mod cons, including free wifi.

Breakfast was amazing, the finest full English I have had in a very long while, the bacon and sausages were tremendous thick cut bacon and local butchers sausages...lovely.

Definitately going back... see you soon.. do not let the oiutside signs put you off like they nearly did me the house is in a conservation area...enough said

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear Christopher thank you for your kind comments. We hope the Victorian "quirkness" can be retained as we upgrade the rooms and public areas. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast, we pride ourselves on sourcing a smuch as we can locally, and I know our Butcher will be pleased too as he alos reads the reviews ! We look forward to seeing you again soon.