“A warm welcome in Southend”

Gleneagles Guesthouse
Jersey
“A warm welcome in Southend”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We visited Southend in July 2013 for my birthday treat and picked the Gleneagles following good reviews on Trip Advisor. A lovely choice. We had an estuary facing suite which was nice and large with lovely views. The shower room was tiny but very well equipped. The breakfast was, as many others have stated, excellent. Thanks to Gary and his whole team for making our short stay in Southend really enjoyable and also for the great recommendations of where to visit/eat such as Pipe o'Port and old Leigh on Sea (the 5 pubs!). If we return to Southend, we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Lizzysville

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Gleneagles. We take time to ensure that any restaurant we recommend, we have tried ourselves. Its an onerous task but someone has to do it! Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Lovely place with lovely view of the front, just by the cliff lift and within sight of the pier.Very pleasant new owners who have just turned the breakfast room into a cafe in the daytime. Wouldn't be very good for someone with mobility issues because of the stairs, but I couldn't fault it. Parking a bit limited , but if you're out in the day it's no problem as it's free in the morning. I Would certainly stay there if going to Southend again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front if you want a nice view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Debby M

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, we do appreciate the feedback so that we know where we are doing well and where we can do better. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. As a Grade 2 listed building the cost and planning restrictions make a lift installation prohibitive. Our new website will give guidance to guests on the problems the stairs may cause them. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Please allow me to cover the ONLY negative. Some rooms are on upper floors and there is no lift. This is the only downside, so if you have difficulty going up too many of them, I suggest you discuss that when you book. (And I would strongly advise that you DO book to stay here).

I stayed here on Wednesday 10th July, 2013 and my double room (number 8 I think it was) was South facing on the top floor. There was a fabulous view of the estuary, overlooking Southend pier a few hundred yards away. The room was spotless, and all the things that you only sometimes get in an overnight stay were all there. Shampoo, shower gel, lots and lots of tea, sugar, coffee, milk pots and packets of biscuits, as well as nice touches such as scatter cushions on the bed. Very good hot shower (once I worked out how to turn it on). It was a little palace.

The lovely South facing terrace was beautifully adorned with flowers, and I chose to have breakfast there in the morning. It was splendid full English, including (for those that like it!) black pudding, and it certainly set me up for the day. Also on offer were fresh strawberries from the garden.

In terms of personnel, I was greeted on arrival and dealt with throughout my stay by Gary. At breakfast there was a young man who served us, and there was also a lady present who I presume (according to the literature) was Penny. NOTHING was too much trouble for any of them. At one point I had cut myself, and was immediately offered an array of plasters.

I think I could probably rattle on for some time, but will sum it up. Be aware that there are stairs. Outside of this, book with confidence and be assured of a very pleasant stay in a lovely establishment, with people who care about their clients.

Room Tip: South facing is good. Go for the top floor if you are ok with stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Lord Williams
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad your stay was so enjoyable. It is always pleasing to know that our staff training and values are reflected in the service you recieved. Our new website will include guidance to Guests to call us to discuss any issues they may have with accessing the higher rooms. Our listed building status and the cost prohibt the installation of a lift. We hope to see you again soon and thanks again for staying with us.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

totally enjoyed our stay over the weekend very comfortable bedrooms and the breakfast is second to none if i lived in southend i would go there everyday for my breakfast missing it already the service we received was amazing i couldn't of asked for more ..fabulous

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Beth, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay as we are always striving to offer the highest standards of customer service. We are glad you enjoyed the Breakfast, and our suppliers who are local, will be pleased too. I know our Butcher always read the reviews!! We hope to see you again soon.
England
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here on Sunday evening 9th July and found the room to be comfortable and clean with a great view over the Estuary, very peaceful and very central to most amenities and in our case the Cliffs pavillion where we were seeing a concert. Breakfast was good as we would expect in this price range, but not memorable. Furnishings are a little twee, but I feel sure given a few more months Penny and Garry who were very friendly and helpful, will make some changes. We would happily stay again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Call in to the Fishermans Wharf Cafe / Restaurant for a lovely fish lunch or dinner. Several pubs...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear johnnymca
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, as you rightly assumed we are working to upgrade the Guesthouse within the constraints of our Grade 2 listing and have a plan we are working to, as finances allow. We look forward to seeing you again when you might like to enjoy one of our other 2 premier seaview rooms and hope you will see more changes then.
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Thank you Glen Eagles!
Excellent location and service. Very clean rooms and an excellent locally sourced breakfast.
Also the room TV was excellent and a very good picture. (HD quality!)
Staff and owners were very welcoming and advised us of the local amenities. Although parking is limited we had no problem on finding a space and there is plenty nearby.
See you again soon.

• Stayed May 2013
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Paul W. Thank you for taking the time to write a review we are always pleased that our Guests have enjoyed there stay enough to tell others! We look forward to seeing you again soon and I hope you will see more improvements .
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My second stay at this lovely hotel. Penny and Garry made me feel at home on my arrival. I had a lovely seaview room which was well stocked with tea, coffee and biscuits. The room was spacious and bed very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. I took advantage of recently opened coffee garden as the weather was good and enjoyed a couple of lunches (very nice menu!) Hotel ideally situated for pier, seafront, town centre and also Cliffs Pavilion for shows and concerts.

Room Tip: Although a solo traveller, I paid a little extra for a double room with sea view. Well worth the ex...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Audrey. Thank you for your kind comments. Penny and I are glad you enjoyed your stay . I hope next time you stay you will see even more changes as we work to upgrade this lovely building within the constraints its listed status allows . We look forward to seeing you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#1 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,427 reviews
Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ilfracombe House Hotel
#10 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Gleneagles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!