“shame about the sandwiches”
Review of Strawberry Cafe - CLOSED

Strawberry Cafe
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Fast food, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bought a Groupon voucher and went off with hubby for afternoon tea. Bit apprehensive after reading other reviews, but the cafe was decorated well and very helpful, friendly staff. Cakes were OK, bit mean on portions, just 2 small slices and a dry mini fairy cake with good scones. The let down was the sandwiches. These I found very difficult to decide what was actually inside .
I could recognize the egg mayo and tuna and sweet corn, but the other 2 were seemingly all mayo. After chatting with my daughter later, she thought they were ready made sandwich fillers. I am not a fan of mayo and did not like them. Worth the £5 each on Groupon, but not the regular price of £11.50. Go to
Relish in Leigh, where there is proper ham, smoked salmon, cheese and cucumber for less. Pity Strawberry cafe as it was real let down.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Live in the area and thought we would come here on a groupon four of us for the cream tea. I will not be returning. Firstly the good news the teas and food were fine but we got one lot for four of us so we had to ask for another.

The floor was covered in cake crumbs and other food and another customer had to ask the waitress to hoover the floor before they sat down, the place looked like it had been an old charity shop and it smelt musty. The menu was covered in jam and clearly hadnt been cleaned.

The service was slow , they were just too busy and only two girls serving. A number of people with groupon vouchers had turned up without booking most had to be turned away

1  Thank roamingali
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My friend asked me to accompany her using a Groupon Voucher to the Strawberry Café on the afternoon of 23rd May. Prior to our visit I consulted Tripadvisor (as I do with all eateries, hotels etc) and was dismayed to read some of the poor reviews. However, we went to Westcliff with the intention that if we did not like the 'look of the place' we would go somewhere else to eat and forego the voucher.
I am so pleased we went into the little café. True the choice of a pale pink carpet in a public place was not a good one but the rest of the little café was spotlessly clean. Pristine white walls and furniture, yes plastic table clothes but they are a pretty pink gingham and again spotlessly clean and in keeping with the ambience of the little café.
The young girl who served us was polite and presentable. I asked what was in the sandwiches and she replied ' egg, tuna and chicken' when I said I did not like any of the fillings she asked what she could get me that I would like. I replied cheese or salad. She checked and told me that there was a cheese and onion filling would that be ok and it was. The selection of teas must be second to none, however, we settled for English Breakfast.

The Afternoon Tea consisted of sandwiches, 4 x fingers per person, a scone with jam and cream and a slice of cake each. True the bread was sliced supermarket and the cake/scone did not appear homemade but all of it was well presented, fresh and enjoyable. Far better 'enjoyable bought in items' than 'poor quality home made ones' - homemade does not always mean better than shop bought!! The china used on the table was really pretty, quaint and in keeping with the room.

Hey, this is not the Ritz at £38 per person - we paid £10 for two, sat in a pretty little café and was served by a young girl with lovely manner!!

However, I think if I had paid the full price of £11 for what we had, I may have thought the cost high. In saying that, my friend and I both thought Strawberry Café had almost got it right. Change the carpet, keep the staff, at least upgrade the bread and when income/footfall allows, upgrade the serviettes.

At this moment in time, it seems that Strawberry Café is in its development stage and possibly running on a tight budget and maybe just need to' up its game' to attract a loyal customer base. Sometimes it is prudent to speculate to accumulate .

All in all we enjoyed what we had.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We went there with our Groupon voucher slightly worried about some of the previous reviews. We should not of worried!! Yes the carpet is bright pink and slightly soled (not the best colour not to show any stains) but clean. Our voucher was for £10 for 2 persons and gave us more or less a 2 for 1 deal. I think some of the previous reviews for were the £5 voucher for 2, what do they expect for £2.50 each, you can't even buy a cheese sandwich in a café for that price!! The staff very friendly and welcoming, dozens of tea's to choose from and asked did we want a refill when we finished our first pot of tea, enjoyed the whole experience, thanks.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

After reading the reviews on this 'Tea room's we were presently surprised yes the carpet is slightly soiled but not dirty, The tables are nicely set out and service was very good ,
Large list of teas on the menu. Nicely presented finger sandwiches but could have a better choice of fillings Cakes are ok the scones (cream & jam) were really fresh and soft
I would say the fact that we had this on a group on voucher it was very good value ,
But I don't think I would pay the full price unless fillings were more varied.