“Precious”

Alvaro's Portuguese Restaurant
Price range: US$16 - US$35
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Precious”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We love this restaurant and get treated once in a while by my in-laws for special occasions. It is family run and oozes with a traditional charm it is rare to find these days.

Visited March 2012

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Simply Superb”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Alavaro's is my Mum's favourite restaurant and so to it was fitting for us to go there to celebrate her 70th.

It was, as always, a brilliant evening. The staff are all so lovely and have the great mix of lively banter without imposing on the evening.

There is a very warm and easy feeling to the restaurant from the moment you walk in there unti to the time you leave.

We all had very different types of starters from the mussels, advacado with prawns, baby squid with chirizo and prawns with a piri piri sauce. For our mains my husband and I had the Portuguese paella (highly recommended) and everyone else had a range of fish dishes. The ingredients used are always of the highest quality and were as delicious as always.

Mum doesn't enjoy rich deserts but they made up a beautiful plate decorated with chocolate and fruit in the shape of a tree with a single profitterole with a candle in it. I know it sounds weird but I've uploaded a couple of photos as it was so lovely!

If in the area, please book into Alvaro's, the restaurant has been there for 35 years and you'll soon find out why.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank LeighHappyGirl
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“,,,,,,,,,,,the best of the best,,,,,,,,,,,i lovet.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5star,,,,,,,,,,”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the best restaurant in essex the best of the best ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank shaban k
England
“If you want it done properly or need to learn how to do it, go to Alvaro's,”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Birthday dinner, Friday night 8.00pm with my wife and 2 daughters, 12 and 16.
I feel that going to a new restaurant is a tiny bit stressful. The amount of times I have been massively, spectactularly, get up and just walk out disappointed I can't count. Only happens in England though, strange that.
And so it was with Alvaro's. I was a little stressed. I hate it when things go wrong on a special night.
The restaurant was brightly lit so they were not trying to hide any old and dusty decor, the place already had a good few people in it and the ambience was good.
We were seated and asked about drinks although we had no wine list or drinks menu so one was brought over and we chose red. The wine was fine and we were pesented with the food menu's.
We all had starters with my daughters plumbing for Goat's Cheese salad (special) and Whitebait respectively. My wife had an Avocado Funjal (special) and I the Skewered Squid and Chorizo. All these were marvelous which pleased me as 4 out of 4 is a very good start.
It was becoming evident that this family run restaurant was still very much enjoying itself. Sometimes when in a family run place you get the feeling that the owners wanted to jack it in 20 years ago but couldn't figure out what else to do, none of this at Alvaro's.
The team worked very well together and were geniuinely enjoying themselves. The staff were all ages from smartly dressed young men to gentlemen that had started it many years before, all impeccably atired. I was starting to like this.
The mains were arriving with daughters having Pan Fried Organic Salmon, the other, Medalions of Pork Topped with Apricot, wifey having Fillet Steak with Pate and Madeira and myself having Sauteed Scallops with Cubes of Fillet Pork.
Firstly I must say the portion sizes were excellent. There was no chance of needing a kebab on the way home. The salmon fillet was large and my daughter couldn't quite fit it al in. My wifes Fillet steak was massive, just massive. She ate all she could but had to hand it over to me to have a go but even I could not finish it as my own dish had been so large! I had several very large Scallops and with the fillet of pork cubes and the potato was a bit stuffed. Wifey always orders her steak blue and you simply won't beleive how often we find this can't be done. We've been told that for legal reasons or health and safety it can't be done, we've had steaks arrive that are well done and no hint of "Rare" or blue, it's just a lottery as to what will turn up. This fillet steak was spot on. It was excellent. I was really starting to like this.
The dessert trolley was a work of art. Stacked with all manner of cakes, flans, fruits, Brulee's and cups it was hard to know what to do.
We were not being rushed at all and so after a little while decided we all would have dessert except the youngest who was too tired cos of her swimming gala that day.
I finished on an espresso accompanied by an Armagnac. Here's an interesting point.
We used to use a french restaurant close to Alvaro's on the seafront. It has a very french name. I stopped using it when on one occasion I had ordered the same, an espresso and an Armagnac. The Armagnac came up served in a whiskey tumbler festooned in ice!! Now I know this is not the biggest crime in the world but the restaurant in question are so proud of their selection of wine glasses to go with the correct wines that I was absolutely gobsmacked when they messed this up. I think the thing that made my mind up not to return was that when I pointed out their error the glass was hastily removed and then returned minus the ice and minus most of the Armagnac!
None of this with Alvaro's. The Armagnac came in a brandy plume that had ALREADY BEEN WARMED and delivered to my table at the perfect temperature. I haven't even had that done in France!!
That was it for me, the coffee was the best I've had in England and I sat there wondering what phoney pretence I could come up with to come back as soon as I could, Cat's birthday, Anniversary of my kidney stone op..
Yes, it had been the best evening I've had for years. I'll be back Alvaro's very very soon.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank Bonnyboots
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Stood the test of time”
Reviewed 9 February 2012