“Ridiculously over-priced”

and 1 more site!
Rivenhall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Witham
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Very basic motel style accommodation, with a reasonable bar area, over-priced drinks (£6.50 for two small coffees) and leisure facilities. Money has obviously been spent on making the bar and reception reasonably presentable, but the bedrooms, and corridors leading to them, are amongst the worst I've ever experienced. Cheap, tatty, dated furniture, grotty bathroom with no heating, creaking old beds and useless old electric heater, incapable of warming the room. Taking a shower was a very unpleasant experience, with the freezing bathroom and a shower head that trickled water which was insufficient to get the soap out of my hair. The rooms are of 2-star standards and the Rivenhall should be charging room prices at half their current rate. I can only imagine that this place survives thanks to weddings happening in the local area. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank pob74

Reviewed 12 December 2012

Spent 2 nights in early December 2012 on a Spa Break. Hotel rooms adequate, if a bit tired, but clean. Not really a full spa, as you had to provide your own Dressing Gown & Slippers and to get to the Spa, you had to physically leave the hotel building and walk to it, although it is still within the hotel grounds and less than 3 mins away, but being December & Cold not really pleasant! Spa small but adequate, with a small but well equipped Gym, fantastic Steam Room and Jacuzzi! Small pool (don't let photo fool you). Again decor a little tired, but clean. Spa treatments were also very good and good value for money and the Ladies that work there were very professional, and polite, and worked well with what they had (space wise).

Staff were very helpful and polite, and the best part was the amazing Dinner - 3 Courses £15! And the food was excellent! Breakfast full and hearty. Teas & Coffee in rooms - but no Shower Cap in bathroom. Plumbing overall could be better i.e.: Toilets didn't always flush well.

Would recommend for a short stay, as you 'pay for what you get' however the excellent standard of the food and hard working staff especially in the restaurant is very much too it's credit.

Sat Nav did not clearly pick up Postcode, so we had to be vigilant and look for correct turn off.
But they have ample free parking.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor good - especially end room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I bought a Spa weekend break via lastminute for my girlfriend for her birthday. There were mixed feelings by the end of the experience. Some positive and a few negatives.
My girlfriend and I had discussed us getting extra treatments on top of the free 30 minutes that we already had booked. I called the hotel on the day as the email from lastminute was a bit vague on how to do this. The hotel said we should have been contacted - but never were. However they did speak to the spa girls quickly and had a call within the hour... Honest mistake.
We got to the hotel and were greeted promptly. We went to our hotel room - which wasn't fantastic but was "cosy" although somewhat outdated.

We made our way to the spa to find a miserable staff member sat there looking at us. Rude and not very helpful. The facilities were nice and quirky.

We went for a meal at the restaurant that night and were once again greeted promptly and sat at a nice table. The waitress was very friendly - however the first round of cocktails were VERY STRONG to say the least and took a while to get to us as they came from the bar rather than the kitchen. The second batch of cocktails were very nice. The starter was a seafood cocktail - gorgeous however the main was a bit on the gross side and both my girlfriend and I did not eat it all. The desert was fantastic - banofee pie.
In the morning we went for breakfast and stood for at least 10 minutes at the "wait here for a seat sign"... The waitress had clearly seen us. We arrived at 10am - half hour before the breakfast stopped serving. I then realised a congregation of waitresses looking over of us and not coming over... So I sat my (on crutches) girlfriend down.
Finally a waitress came and said there was continental breakfast available from the self service part of the dining room. We walked over to find ONE plate... Not good if there are two of you.
We then went to get some orange juice where we found ONE glass. Surely someone should have kept on top of this?
We finally got an order in for full English from a very nice waitress. However when it came the tomatoes and sausages were disgusting. I had not been given a hashbrown (my favourite) but my girlfriend had - she gave me half but we were both in agreement that that was also disgusting.
In all the breakfast/service was appalling and left both my girlfriend and I feeling a little sick.

We made our way to the spa for our treatments. Charlotte who runs the spa treatments was very nice and very friendly. She gave a Stella massage you won't forget in a hurry!

My girlfriend went in for her treatment for 2 hours so I went back to the jacuzzi for some relaxing bubbles.

When I came out and decided to get changed some local youths came in comparing muscle sizes and generally acting like complete goons. I work with goons on a daily basis thanks to my line of work and one thing I wish to get away from is goons like these - I suppose we are in Essex though.

Whilst waiting for my second treatment the miserable spa receptionist was giving a group of girls a tour of the facilities prior to them using it - did we receive this treatment?

Did I mention the peace and tranquility of the spa waiting room was ruined for 45 minutes from the sound of the goons messing around in the pool then 15 minutes spent in the shower shouting about how great their muscles were. Ha.

My girlfriend came from her massage and was the most radiant I had ever seen her!

I then went in and had a deep tissue massage. Tamzin who performed the treatment was great! She got all of the knots out of my back leaving me very sore but in a good way.

In all my girlfriend and I left happy but this is clearly not a spa resort... More of an outdated hotel with a tiny leisure centre which can still be used by the public - some better than others.

I won't be going back in a hurry

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank billymcdafthead2
Reviewed 25 November 2012

3 nights business stay and i was well impressed with the hotel and complementary use of the facilities.

friendly staff happy to help.

on suit double room cozy and comfortable with teas and coffee in your room, I must admit i did sleep well as my room was away from the traffic room (329)
dinner choice of either the restaurant bit pricey for me but all so have a bar menu limited choice but something for every body's taste.

If you eat too much you can use the Indoor heated pool, sauna, jacuzzi, spa, solarium, and gym all complimentary.

Breakfast full English or continental.

Free parking..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night when visiting family as in a good location. Reception seemed ok so thought was fine for a 3 star ! Wronggg! Went up the stairs and through a door into a corridor that looked like a prison block and stunk of damp! The cheapo poo brown carpet was revolting and worn out and there was linen and other items piled up on a rickety old table outside our prison cell door! Was relieved the room didnt stink like the hallway but the 70s style room was very disappointing. Everything was 'shabby' and dated and the crap heater on the wall had seen better days (long ago). The bathroom was shocking. The window had mould and a broken bit at the top which let in cold air from outside. There tiles were cracked, mouldy and unclean. The shower dripped water so we had to bath . At least the aater was hot. No wonder only 6 of 80 odd rooms were booked. Didn't bother to go and eat breakfast as the state of the hotel put us off. Overall its a shabby, smelly dump!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Jamax66
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Took a friend here for her birthday on a pampoer break i'd purchased. What a mistake! Although the staff were polite and the main hotel on first impressions were nice, the rooms were very old fashioned, out dated, cold and smelt musty. The pamper break was not honoured because they were "fully booked" and "staff needed more training in the booking process" (Manager's words, not mine) The Spa changing rooms smelt disgusting (of mould), were dirty and the most uninviting Spa changing rooms i've ever encountered! Finally on complaining, it was as though no-one cared that i'd spent £145.00 for this experience. Nicest bit was being with my friend and breakfast was nice. Don't go there!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I was with friends and visiting a common friend around that area. That was the main reason that we picked this hotel. The place is very nice, the stuff quite friendly and the rooms were tidy and clean. The only issue we had was the wall heater, which is actually the only source of heating for some rooms. It was a very cold day and it was not enough, as our room was a little bit cold. The price we got the rooms was fair. Didn't have time to try the breakfast, but looked (and smelled) quite nice!-)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witham
Essex Golf & Country Club
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
The Blue Anchor
The Blue Anchor
#3 of 3 in Feering

Been to Rivenhall Hotel? Share your experiences!