“Never to be repeated...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rivenhall Hotel

Rivenhall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Witham
Silver End, Witham, Essex
“Never to be repeated...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed with my husband for our wedding anniversary for one night in November 2012. We have used the facilities and gym etc many times and thought it would be nice as it is local to where we live. How wrong could we be. The rooms were incredibly basic with paperthin walls and we were on a walkway near the main reception and so heard every conversation when people walked past. The bed was so uncomfortable it was like sleeping on cement and we had to complain several times in the night as the noise from rowdy people upstairs was unbearable. To top if all off I became ill in the night and can only put it down to the meal we had in the restaurant. When I complained the next morning to the duty manager I was told that as no one else had complained it can;t have been the food!!! no apologies were given. I couldn't and wouldn't touch the breakfast and we left immediately. I can't describe how disapppointed we were. I appreciate you get what you pay for but it is definitely not even 3 stars.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nicola P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

I am struggling to find anything positive about this so called hotel. It must be that there is ample free parking.
The staff are not at all friendly. This starts with the frosty reception to the downright rude and aggressive manageress.
The room is more than tired and it is not the place to spend some time in and relax. In other words the room was not pleasant at all. They are suited to someone who just wants somewhere to spend the night and is not fussy.
There is a restaurant in which I ate a chicken dish. It was awful. The chicken was dry and tasteless. I choose chicken in English restaurants when nothing else appeals to me and that is what happened here but I was left wishing that I had picked up some fast food in Witham.
Breakfast was not much better.
I stayed here because I wanted to try somewhere different in Essex and I regretted it. Next time I will go back to my usual place in good old Basildon.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gordon B

Travellers are raving about these Witham hotels

Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

One night here prior to attending an event. Staff were welcoming and accomodating, altering our booking to suit our family group. Room was large but very outdated with the entire accomodation block in desperate need of an update/refurb or rethinking entirely. There were so many ways in/out of the hotel, security was an issue for us. We ate out so can't comment on the restaurant although breakfast in the morning was ok. The shower pressure has to have been the worst dribble I have experienced in years. Sadly the helpfulness of the staff cannot compensate for the below adequate nature of the hotel accomodation, I wish I could be more positive.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank HampshirePanda8
Cambridge, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Very basic motel style accommodation, with a reasonable bar area, over-priced drinks (£6.50 for two small coffees) and leisure facilities. Money has obviously been spent on making the bar and reception reasonably presentable, but the bedrooms, and corridors leading to them, are amongst the worst I've ever experienced. Cheap, tatty, dated furniture, grotty bathroom with no heating, creaking old beds and useless old electric heater, incapable of warming the room. Taking a shower was a very unpleasant experience, with the freezing bathroom and a shower head that trickled water which was insufficient to get the soap out of my hair. The rooms are of 2-star standards and the Rivenhall should be charging room prices at half their current rate. I can only imagine that this place survives thanks to weddings happening in the local area. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank pob74
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Spent 2 nights in early December 2012 on a Spa Break. Hotel rooms adequate, if a bit tired, but clean. Not really a full spa, as you had to provide your own Dressing Gown & Slippers and to get to the Spa, you had to physically leave the hotel building and walk to it, although it is still within the hotel grounds and less than 3 mins away, but being December & Cold not really pleasant! Spa small but adequate, with a small but well equipped Gym, fantastic Steam Room and Jacuzzi! Small pool (don't let photo fool you). Again decor a little tired, but clean. Spa treatments were also very good and good value for money and the Ladies that work there were very professional, and polite, and worked well with what they had (space wise).

Staff were very helpful and polite, and the best part was the amazing Dinner - 3 Courses £15! And the food was excellent! Breakfast full and hearty. Teas & Coffee in rooms - but no Shower Cap in bathroom. Plumbing overall could be better i.e.: Toilets didn't always flush well.

Would recommend for a short stay, as you 'pay for what you get' however the excellent standard of the food and hard working staff especially in the restaurant is very much too it's credit.

Sat Nav did not clearly pick up Postcode, so we had to be vigilant and look for correct turn off.
But they have ample free parking.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor good - especially end room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I bought a Spa weekend break via lastminute for my girlfriend for her birthday. There were mixed feelings by the end of the experience. Some positive and a few negatives.
My girlfriend and I had discussed us getting extra treatments on top of the free 30 minutes that we already had booked. I called the hotel on the day as the email from lastminute was a bit vague on how to do this. The hotel said we should have been contacted - but never were. However they did speak to the spa girls quickly and had a call within the hour... Honest mistake.
We got to the hotel and were greeted promptly. We went to our hotel room - which wasn't fantastic but was "cosy" although somewhat outdated.

We made our way to the spa to find a miserable staff member sat there looking at us. Rude and not very helpful. The facilities were nice and quirky.

We went for a meal at the restaurant that night and were once again greeted promptly and sat at a nice table. The waitress was very friendly - however the first round of cocktails were VERY STRONG to say the least and took a while to get to us as they came from the bar rather than the kitchen. The second batch of cocktails were very nice. The starter was a seafood cocktail - gorgeous however the main was a bit on the gross side and both my girlfriend and I did not eat it all. The desert was fantastic - banofee pie.
In the morning we went for breakfast and stood for at least 10 minutes at the "wait here for a seat sign"... The waitress had clearly seen us. We arrived at 10am - half hour before the breakfast stopped serving. I then realised a congregation of waitresses looking over of us and not coming over... So I sat my (on crutches) girlfriend down.
Finally a waitress came and said there was continental breakfast available from the self service part of the dining room. We walked over to find ONE plate... Not good if there are two of you.
We then went to get some orange juice where we found ONE glass. Surely someone should have kept on top of this?
We finally got an order in for full English from a very nice waitress. However when it came the tomatoes and sausages were disgusting. I had not been given a hashbrown (my favourite) but my girlfriend had - she gave me half but we were both in agreement that that was also disgusting.
In all the breakfast/service was appalling and left both my girlfriend and I feeling a little sick.

We made our way to the spa for our treatments. Charlotte who runs the spa treatments was very nice and very friendly. She gave a Stella massage you won't forget in a hurry!

My girlfriend went in for her treatment for 2 hours so I went back to the jacuzzi for some relaxing bubbles.

When I came out and decided to get changed some local youths came in comparing muscle sizes and generally acting like complete goons. I work with goons on a daily basis thanks to my line of work and one thing I wish to get away from is goons like these - I suppose we are in Essex though.

Whilst waiting for my second treatment the miserable spa receptionist was giving a group of girls a tour of the facilities prior to them using it - did we receive this treatment?

Did I mention the peace and tranquility of the spa waiting room was ruined for 45 minutes from the sound of the goons messing around in the pool then 15 minutes spent in the shower shouting about how great their muscles were. Ha.

My girlfriend came from her massage and was the most radiant I had ever seen her!

I then went in and had a deep tissue massage. Tamzin who performed the treatment was great! She got all of the knots out of my back leaving me very sore but in a good way.

In all my girlfriend and I left happy but this is clearly not a spa resort... More of an outdated hotel with a tiny leisure centre which can still be used by the public - some better than others.

I won't be going back in a hurry

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank billymcdafthead2
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

3 nights business stay and i was well impressed with the hotel and complementary use of the facilities.

friendly staff happy to help.

on suit double room cozy and comfortable with teas and coffee in your room, I must admit i did sleep well as my room was away from the traffic room (329)
dinner choice of either the restaurant bit pricey for me but all so have a bar menu limited choice but something for every body's taste.

If you eat too much you can use the Indoor heated pool, sauna, jacuzzi, spa, solarium, and gym all complimentary.

Breakfast full English or continental.

Free parking..

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witham
Pontlands Park
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel

Been to Rivenhall Hotel? Share your experiences!