“80th Birthday”

Rivenhall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Witham
“80th Birthday”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My Sister and I along with our families and some friends took my mum for a surprise 80th Birthday dinner to the Rivenhall Hotel in a Limo in February, we were welcomed when we arrived and shown to our table which was set out lovely, My Mum does not liked to be rushed and was pleased that this was not the case here with a very relaxed atmosphere and patient waitering staff, The young Waitress stood at the end of the table and told us about the specials on for the night and then handed out the menus, the Food was Absolutely fantastic and the service from the waitering staff were brilliant, as my mum said attentive without being in your face, The Head Chef came out to see if everything was ok after our main course which I thought was a nice touch. Overall a very enjoyable evening for our mum and a big thanks to the Rivenhall hotel staff for being very proffessional

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank keith b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Essex
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one evening. Rooms were adequate but very small and dated. Bathroom was very unwelcoming and the room was tired and needed decorating. I've stayed at various hotels for the price we paid and either the cost needs to be reduced to stay here or they need to refurbish the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lexib82

Travellers are raving about these Witham hotels

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was my second year having Christmas dinner with my family and i must say we had a very lovely experience, there was 21 of us including 6 children and 2 of these were under the age of 5, all the children receieved a small present which was a very kind gesture, the christmas menu was tweeked a little bit by some of family and i must say the staff were very accommodating,we all had good size portions and we all had our food at the same time, nothing was to much trouble, the service was outstanding. i can honestly say that we will definitely consider going back again a third year and recomend this to anyone thinking of eating out christmas day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Teena69
Lancashire
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Okay for a flying visit. Rooms pretty cramped but clean and a good nights sleep. Showers were pretty poor so I showered at the attached gym which hotel guests can use for free. You just need a pound for the lockers.

Food in the main restaurant was okay. Nothing special but was cooked. Breakfast was good with a great selection of cereals, drinks, bread and fruit.

Bar area had a tv and a bar menu which was good enough.

Very "budget" hotel but okay for a night but not good enough for a weekend or family break.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night, my observations are that the hotel needs a complete revamp. Bar area furniture is tired, although rustic feel some of the furniture is in v poor condition. The room allocated to us initially was dark and smelly with cracked tiles in the bathroom and the glazing in the bath was peeling. However staff were v friendly and offered alternative room immediately, although better, still below expectations as the room was very plain and no character. Hotel cleaning in general needs to be improved as all windows are shockingly smeared and dirty. Furniture is also sticky. Sweet smell in corridors indicates that carpets need less perfume vac and new ones should be purchased. Hotel should not advertise spa as facilities are completely inadequate. On the up side breakfast was good. I would not choose to return.

Hotel in general looks tired and needs a good clean as corridors are smelly and paintwork is chipped, windows are shockingly dirty. Hotel should not advertise a spa as facilities are completely inadequate.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Although the reception, bar and dinning area is lovely.. the food is to die for.. amazing! Me my mum and nan were really disappointed with the corridors and rooms.. old fashioned, smelly. The mattress on the sofa bed was stained/dirty you couldnt sleep on there. Also on their website it show pictures of spa treatments, we then found out that their beauty theropist had left in november which is false advertisment. All we got was a complimentry drink! Terrible. If they were to take all out and renew everything then i will probably stay there again but right now i wont. I was really upset with what we found!

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Amy R
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stopped at the hotel for 4 nights with work in Jan 2014.

I had read a lot of the reviews on here after I'd booked the hotel and was worried about what my room, staff and facilities would be like. I rung the hotel and politely told them the situation and that I was concerned about the reviews I'd read, the lady I spoke to said they would make sure I was in one of the newly refurbished rooms.

I arrived at the hotel, checked in with ease and then went to find my room which was was lovely and warm, clean. I can understand people saying it is like a motel because the layout is very much like a motel.

I settled in and then went to use the leisure facilities, again the staff were chatty and helpful. Yes, the pool is quite small, possibly 6 metres but when there is 2 or 3 people in the pool you can still have a good swim. I used the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi on 3 nights of my stay and found it clean with good showers and the water in the pool was lovely and warm.

I found the breakfast fine, it was lovely with lots of choice of cereal, juice and fruit as well as a full English.

All of the staff I spoke to were easy going, chatty and helpful and I would defo stop there again if I was away with work in the area.

I told the lady on the desk when I checked out pretty much what I've written in the this review and I know there is going to be lots of renovation across the hotel and facilities to keep improving things.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank robmhomer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witham
Pontlands Park
#1 of 3 in Feering
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Rivenhall Hotel? Share your experiences!