“Very Tired”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Witham
Bath, United Kingdom
“Very Tired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel about 20 years ago and it was quite good. Unfortunately I don't think any refurbishment work has been carried out ever since. The room we stayed in was of very poor quality. Floorboards creaked, bath a disgrace, shower non adjustable, secondary double glazing, exterior wooden window completely rotten, TV on a stand on the floor so that you could only view if propped up by several pillows, bed mattress needed replacing. We were only there for one night as we were going to a family party so we put up with it. However, I definitely would not return. On a positive note I would say that all the staff were helpful and the breakfast was good but I felt sorry for the staff having to work in such a dump. I can imagine they have to continually bear the brunt of dissatisfied customers when it is really the owners who are to blame for failing to invest in a programme of refurbishment. The hotel is listed as 3 star but I reckon it would be 2 star at best. Finally it is overpriced - probably worth about £60 a night including breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Seatho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I complained to the hotel staff about the room and received a condescending response from the "Quality Assurance Manager". My reply to that is bellow and I believe if reflects my overall impression of the stay; except that I did not mention that the bar area and furniture also smelled (bad), and the nicest thing I can say about the breakfast is that it didn't kill me.

Here was my reply:

I do not thank you for your email as I found it insulting; nor is your offer of a 20% discount on my next booking appreciated as I would not bring myself to step into your hotel again.

You are fully aware that the room my wife and I stayed in is overdue for refurbishment, yet it costs the same rate as rooms that have been recently refurbished. The concierge and the duty manager both admitted that this particular room is well bellow the standard to which your hotel strives. We were asked to pay before being shown the room and would have walked out immediately upon seeing it, had we not been in a rush to get to our friends' wedding.

Some days after our stay- and after a few hot showers had washed away the worst of the memories of your hotel- we were resigned that our complaint about the room would go no further and that it would not be worth the trouble to pursue it; until I received your response. At first I could only wonder as to why you would even bother responding with something so unhelpful, uninformative and unsympathetic that it serves no purpose at all. Then I realised how insulting your email is: you essentially accuse me of fabricating my annoyances- all but the dirty window.

Let me reiterate my grievance with the window, because "dust between the windows and the runners" does not fully capture the essence of the issue. I wanted to open the window to try rid the room of the musty (not musky) stink, but could not bring myself to touch it for all the filth, grime, grease and- yes dust too- surrounding the pane. There was not one square centimeter that I dared touch!

I understand that you and your staff "could detect no untoward odours" in the room. I can only imagine that is because you are used to odours that we and others would find untoward.

As for the water on the bathroom floor- which you admit was there but are adamant that it did not originate from the toilet- I can only express relief that I was not standing in someone's urine. The water was on the floor by the toilet before we had used the bathroom. I do not care where it came from.

Before I compose a colourful but honest review to post on TripAdvisor, I will leave you with one last observation: I infer from the way you have dealt with my complaint that your role as quality assurance manager is to assure me that the quality of my stay was better than I thought. In this regard you have failed.

Room Tip: To get a good room don't go to this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marc J
rivenhall, Manager at Rivenhall Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
This review is colourful as the guest put it but totally dishonest or over-exaggerated.
First the guest arrived at 11am and the check in was not till 2pm. The guest was making recurrent effort with the receptionist and demands to get an early check in.
Staffs made every effort to accommodate him with him checking in at 1pm despite his abruptness. The guest went to a wedding at 3pm and at no time did he complain about anything.
The next time he was seen by the same receptionist was the next day in the morning at breakfast hovering at reception for a good 30 minutes. He went to the counter and was rude to the receptionist, complaining about his room and was seen by the duty manager. Even so, his complaint was investigated as we do for all complaints.
We found his compliant plagued with abundant over-exaggeration, which would never have satisfied him whatever we do.
It so happens in the hotel industry that there are some people you can never please and this guest is one of them. We are happy that he will not be using our facilities again.

Travellers are raving about these Witham hotels

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I went back to the Rivenhall today after getting married there 5 years ago, we had a walk around the gardens and one of the staff was kind enough to take some photos of us together with our son. We then had lunch in the bar and were offered complimentary tea and coffee as it was our anniversary, we had a nice, reasonably priced lunch in a very relaxing atmosphere. All the staff here are very welcoming and friendly. Only thing i would recommend is putting in a baby change unit somewhere, maybe change the toilet by entrance to disabled/baby change as there are other toilets close by in the bar area. Always love coming back here and will continue to do so! Thank you :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank planey_t83
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Was very unfortunate to stay at Rivenhall Hotel.
The place should be demolished or be made into a museum to communist architecture.
It's like a WW2 Army camp.
The layout is bizarre, if your a lone female I would think you'll feel unsafe being so far from the main hotel building.
Avoid the place if you can, there is not a single positive I can think of.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank GM157
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked at the Rivenhall for my friends hen weekend and Im so glad I did as we all had a lovley time.
I was a little concerned after reading some reviews, but I really shouldnt have worried!
I organised everything by email with the events organiser Laura, who couldnt have been more helpful, making table names with all our food options on for lunch and dinner and putting my mind at rest about everything and answering all my questions!!
On the day we were booked in for lunch at 12, and were planning on checking in at 2, but on arrival at half 11 our rooms were ready, so we checked in early, which was very helpful. We had 4 rooms next to each other, 3 twins and a triple. All rooms were basic, but clean, which we were happy with as didnt plan on spending much time in them!
Some of our party were running late, so we sat in the bar for a drink where a table and chairs had been saved for us, we were not rushed at all and all staff were friendly and polite.
After lunch we spent the whole afternoon using the facilities (which we were lucky enough to have to ourselves for most of the time) the pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc were all lovely and clean and perfect for our group of 9. Myself and the hen had facials with Kerry the beauty therapist, who was lovely.
We changed the time of our dinner reservation, which was no trouble with the staff and they had also been fantastic by setting up the table for me with decorations and party bags I had given them!
Everyone was happy with the food for lunch and dinner (we had chosen from a set menu prior to arrival), but the biggest hit was breakfast as there was such a good choice - cereal, fruit, yoghurts, pastries, pancakes, full english!
Everyone slept pretty well too.
The only things we picked up on in our rooms was one of the showers was a little weak, but that could have just been because we were all showering at the same time. One of the rooms didnt have a hairdryer and one of the others was a little tempremental and someone found a tea bag behind there bin!
But to be honest everthing else was so good that these things didnt matter, as were just enjoying each others company.
My friend had a lovely time and that was the main thing :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Becky C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Came for afternoon tea and to use the spa. Afternoon tea was nice but not a big selection, had better afternoon tea elsewhere and the spa it is certainly not a spa! Not a relaxing atmosphere, got into the jacuzzi and tried to make it work..waited 15 mins to get someone's attention who then turned it on. Round the pool is dirty and dated. Would t recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank charlottetyler89
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed at The Rivenhall Hotel for one night for business last night. I was really worried about staying here because of the negative reviews, but I don't have anything negative to say.
Arrived at 9.25pm, restaurant last orders were 9.30pm, but the staff were really nice and allowed us to order.
Checked in by a nice receptionist and went off to our rooms. I stayed in room 555. Quirky place, like a 70s style motel. Room was warm and clean. A little dated but that added to the character. Crisp white sheets on the bed and lots of towels.
Went back to the restaurant to have our meal - it was superb and the waiting staff were fab!
Had a good nights sleep, only heard slight traffic from nearby road from about 6.30am.
Breakfast was also superb. Lots of fresh fruit and pastries. Best scrambled egg I have ever had!
I would definitely recommend staying here. Please don't let the negative reviews put you off.

Room Tip: Ask for room 555
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Louloubelle81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witham
Pontlands Park
#1 of 3 in Feering
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Rivenhall Hotel? Share your experiences!