“clientel”

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Witham, United Kingdom
“clientel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This pub is peculiar. It seems to get good ratings, but a pub where you cannot get to the bar because a clique is standing there and shouting and swearing at each other, is not my idea of a family venue.

If it wants to be a family pub, it needs to drop the toughies who like everyone else in the place to know how good they are at appearing tough.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Lesmond P

Coggeshall, United Kingdom
“Super Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

So, my friend and I decided to try out the Red Lion. The small version was plenty for us and the food was delicious. We received a warm welcome and the pub was quite busy, serving lunches. The general ambience was good. We will definitely be returning.
28.04.2013

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Julia F
Witham, United Kingdom
“Favourite Sunday Lunch Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

My favourite place in Witham for a Sunday lunch, always spot on. Make sure to have the large portion, the small one is more like a kids meal. And dont arrive to late, normally all out by late afternoon. And its very cheap!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Andrew W
Essex In The UK
“Not as good as mums, but close enough.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Id heard good things about The Red Lions Sunday roasts and seeing as i couldn't be bothered cooking one this Easter weekend we decided to take a walk into town.

They had all the usual choice of meats you would expect. We decided on pork as they promised crackling. I ordered myself a large roast and my other half opted for a small. They also let you choose what vegetables you could have, which helps with picky eaters (like my other half). I couldn't believe the price, £12 for two roasts and drinks!

I was pleasantly surprised when the gravy was brought out, as it had bits of meat in, which is always a good sign that its homemade proper gravy and it also was nice and thick. There was plenty of meat on my plate and it was lovely and tender, tho disappointingly the crackling was left on the meat, which i can understand as there probably wouldn't be enough to go around, and despite the gravy it stayed crunchy. You could also tell the broccoli and cauliflower was fresh and also hadn't been over cooked. Personally I like my roast potato to have a crunchy outside which these didn't.

I would have preferred more (who doesn't with roasts), but for the price it couldn't be knocked. We'll definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank mitze90

Been to Red Lion? Share your experiences!