“Great Place”

Railway
Ranked #16 of 80 Restaurants in Witham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Looking at the outside of this Establishment you would be forgiven for thinking "Oh, just another Pub." But step inside and you enter a different age. The blackened timber frame and Olde Worlde nature inside transports you back in time and you half expect to see william Shakespeare qiuliing his latest play on one side of the bar ,Samuel Pepys writing up his diaries on the other and Nell Gwynn entertaining a group of men at the bar.
The food on offer here is fresh home - cooked and awesome. No microwaves here. If you fancy something not on the menu, just ask and you will be accomodated as far as possible...it is not a case of if it is not on the menu you cannot have it...if Chef has it, she will cook it.
The beer is welll kept by a Landlord who obviously knows his trade. Each pint is poured excellence and the smile you get with each pint is warm and welcoming.
A great plce not to be missed.

• Visited June 2014

“Birthday meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Went to the Railway yesterday evening for my husbands birthday and weren't disappointed. Fueille Epinard for starters with Steak and Ale pie and sweet potato and red pepper burger to follow - absolutely gorgeous!! Will definitely go back oh and a special mention to our waitress Jemma who looked after us a treat thank you!!

Visited June 2014
Witham, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal - thank you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Visited today with my husband, daughter and my parents for a Fathers Day meal. We all chose to have a roast dinner and all enjoyed this thoroughly. The roast potatoes were lovely (could have happily eaten a plate load of them!). The waitress was polite, friendly and extremely helpful. All in all a lovely meal and would happily recommend to others.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tresta M
sylvia d, General Manager at Railway, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Good Afternoon, The railway team are very happy to hear you enjoyed your time at The Railway yesterday. We thank you for your kind words on trip advisor and hope to see you again soon.

Many Thanks
Sylvia Davidson
“Unimpressive and expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We popped in for tea thinking they were running the two for one menu but this wasn't the case so we enquired what the soup of the day was we didn't get an answer and pub ,manager didn't know.we were then passed over to a waitress with a dirty serving jacket on ,and ordered the fish and chips for my vegetarian 9 yr old,,oh sorry NO FISH , OK IF I KNEW THIS I WOULD HAVE LEFT EARLIER,,So i opted for a prawn sandwich which arrived with warm prawns,,my daughter had cheesy chips which were frozen fluffy crispy offerings ,,my partner had the steak which was ok,,i probably wont eat here again as there are nicer places to eat that are the same price and the food is fresher,and cooked as oppose to reheated,,shame really as i think this could be a gem as its right next to the station

Visited June 2014
2 Thank STUBEX
sylvia d, General Manager at Railway, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Good Afternoon, I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations on your previous visit to us. Unfortunately due to high demand we had sold out of the fish and chips but we did offer you alternatives on the day. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with you, could I ask that you contact me on 01376 500200 or therailwaywitham@gmail.com

Many Thanks
Sylvia Davidson
“Disappointing 2nd visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

After having had a lovely meal here from the main menu and seeing the reviews on here I decided to take my 7yr old for Sunday lunch. First we were told that the choices were beef or pork - we both wanted beef - then 5 minutes later told apologies it is pork or turkey. We both decided to have turkey. Then 10 minutes after that another lady came to tell us that there had been a mix up with the butchers and all they had was pork. Neither of us particularly like roast pork so I said don't worry (thinking we could go somewhere else or just go get something from Morrisons) but she offered to do breast of chicken - as my daughter was quite hungry we agreed. Well over 20 minutes later the food was brought out and I wish I had gone somewhere else. The potatoes were very crunchy on the outside had to use the gravy to soften them, the chicken was tough and the cauliflower was very al dente in parts. I cut approx. a third off the chicken as I'm really fussy and my daughter struggled to cut hers up. All in all I was very disappointed with the food which is such a shame as we had such a nice meal previously and only living down the road it would have been great to have somewhere to go for sunday lunch. I also didn't expect to have to wait nearly 40 minutes for food especially as we were at the time the only people eating and was glad I had brought a pad and pen for my daughter to entertain herself with - she is very polite and well behaved when we go out but even she would have been bored if I hadn't.

• Visited May 2014