“Lovely old fashioned but with excellent modern food”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Arlingham
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Lovely old fashioned but with excellent modern food”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Food was perfectly cooked (salmon on Mediterranean vegetables) was a busy Friday night and we popped in unexpectedly despite how busy it was we had good service and great food. We were asked if everything was ok because it was so busy. Considering we had never been there before I was surprised, but the lady (I am guessing who was in charge) explained that she worries when they are so busy. Had a lovely village pub feel, with lots of 'locals'. Would go back and recommend.

• Visited July 2014
nick w, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Am very glad you enjoyed your meal here last Friday night. We like to make sure the tables receive the service they should expect and more. We look forward to seeing you return and sample more of the food and drinks we have to offer.
Thank you again for your review.

Gloucestershire UK
“Good Beer and Food”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Eaten four times over the last 6 months and never been disappointed. Good standard menu supplemented by specials board. Recommend the curry and fish dishes. Wide selection of excellent local beers.
Starter portions are very generous so best shared, if you want to leave room for a pudding.
Good value for money

Visited July 2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Better but still room for improvement.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having lived near the village for over 20 years i was really looking forward to visiting now the pub has been bought by members of the village. On going back for the first time around Christmas i was really surprised by the new interior, it looks great and has just got the right balance between modern and village pub. We came for a family meal as a table of around 10 and placed our starter orders a few weeks in advance by phone to make life easier however when we were seated we were told we should not have done this and would have to re-order our starters. This wasn't a problem however the way in which we were told made us feel like it was our mistake and a really big issue. The main meal was a set menu which was a roast dinner which was up to standard however on the menu there was no mention of gravy and all of the meals came swimming, not a problem for most but one of the people on our table did not want gravy. He pointed out that it was not mentioned on the menu and once again was met with a response as if it was his problem. We went away from the meal slightly disappointed but willing to give it another go. On my second visit there were just two of us out for an evening birthday meal. We ordered two starters but only one turned up, on bringing this up with the waitress she was very friendly but brought back a bowl of olives when the starter was olives and bread. For a main course I had cod and 'triple fried' chips which was served as a huge quantity but was poor to say the least with the chips certainly not tasting like they were 'triple fried'. Once again we left very disappointed and in future will only be visiting for drinks. One thing I would add having read other reviews is that a few people have mention it was cold and the tables and chairs are scruffy, i would agree with both of theses comments, why spend thousands of pounds renovating a pub just to leave the old tables? Finally i was very surprised when the chef came out from the kitchen, poured himself half a pint of lager and walked back into the kitchen, he did this a few times in the space of the two hours that we were there. I find this highly unprofessional and think he should spend more time cooking so people don't have to wait so long for their food.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Stuart M
nick w, Director of Sales at The Red Lion, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
"Dear Stuart M,

Very many thanks for your review. Although there are some positive messages in your review I am sorry that we didn't hit every nail on the head. We do take feedback seriously and review it with a view to continually improving our service and customer experience. Until recently we had received positive feedback so I regret that our record has been broken.

It has taken me longer than I'd like to respond to you due to being away and then needing to discuss your comments with our chef.

I hope you're happy if I respond to a few of your points.

Your comment about the gravy is welcome. It underlines the decision we've implemented to serve gravy separate to the meal. We recognised that people may prefer this.

We didn't retain the old furniture we inherited with the pub. It wasn't adequate in terms of quality or quantity. We have a mix of new items and ones we've refurbished. Using older furniture in pubs like ours is in keeping with the building and atmosphere but does come with issues in terms of maintenance and upkeep. We'll certainly look at it following your comments and if needs be deal with any further repairs, refurbishment or replacements.

Dealing with any issues that arise with customers is a difficult thing and I'm sorry that we didn't get this right for you. I am in the process of arranging some quality training for our staff where this and other customer care matters will be dealt with. I sincerely hope that if you dine with us again you have no issues but if you do I hope that it will be dealt with in a positive way and to your satisfaction.

I specifically took up your final comment with our manager/chef. He explained that the drinks that were taken from the bar were for the fish batter and assures me it was not for himself. Whilst entirely professional in my experience, to prevent any mis-perceptions in the future I have asked him to ensure that a jug is used for the purpose moving forwards.

Finally, I would hope that we can tempt you back for a 3rd time to eat under the assurance that we will strive to ensure you leave with an entirely positive experience. Perhaps you could drop me a line personally if you would like to take up this offer and I will personally meet with you at the time. Yours sincerely, Edward Davies (chair of the board of directors)."
Dursley, United Kingdom
“Family meal”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went for a meal at the red lion last night,on arriving the first imprecion nice bar friendly service. Ordered drinks then we're shown to our table , this was a bit of a disappointment a bit like sitting in a garage .ordered food one belly pork ,1steak and ale pie and 1fish and chips. Waited a fair time and our food arrived, my burger was very good chips a disappointment no way were they triple cooked steak ale pie looked good and was liked The belly pork was off putting as was the fish and chips due to the size massive . Why do people think that pilling food on a plate makes for a good meal . Quality is the key. We skipped a pudding couldn't face the site of more masses of food. On leaving the pub it felt a bit scruffy tatty tables let it down. This pub has been transformed from what it was but it could still be improved

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank cliff315970
Painswick, United Kingdom
“Arlingham's secret!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We dined there last Thursday week and it was as good as we have become used to. My fillet steak was as excellent as it was last time, please do not change your butcher.

Nick and his staff are doing a great job and should be congratulated along with the Villagers who had the foresight and courage to purchase a dud pub a year ago and transform it - well done everyone.

Phil.