“Two happy people and one very happy dog!”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birdlip
Carmarthenshire
“Two happy people and one very happy dog!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We spent two nights in the Royal
George from May 11th and it was great. The room was ideal with our dog as it had a little fenced patio leading off from the French doors in the bedroom. We were able to access the woodlands from here. Beautiful countryside all round.
The staff in the hotel are lovely, so welcoming and our dog gained quite a fan club and he lapped up all the attention!
Super breakfasts and the meal on the first night was delicious but unfortunately not so good on the second night, reheated tough potatoes and peas!. However we decided to try the ice cream sundae afterwards and that was truly delicious.
We will hopefully be able to have another visit later in the year and I can't wait! We loved it.
The only negative was that we could hear people above us going to the toilet which wasn't very pleasant!! Thank goodness we have a sense of humour!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your fantastic review, I have shared your lovely comments with all my team and we hope we can all welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
skipton north yorks
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have just stayed for 2 nights in a family room (32) The room was good and the beds very comfy, the towels were large which was lovely, the shower was a bit tricky as it was right on the beam but the bath was good. There was a shortage of plug sockets, only 2 behind the TV and one in the side of the wardrobe which was a bit strange. Reception was good and friendly. However on our first night we returned to the hotel at 10.40pm to be told the bar was closed and a sulky girl went to get the manager to see if we could have a drink, now comes the bad part, his attitude was appauling and very rude, and I was really embarrassed for the people we were staying there with as I had booked it for us all. I really was quite shocked how bad he was. Anyway breakfast was lovely the next morning and we had a very good waitress, then breakfast on the second morning arriving down at 9.30am the orange juice had run out, there was a tiny bit of fruit left and we had to clear our own table and there was not waitress to be seen for the first five minutes. The juice was replenished when we asked, but every table was waiting to be cleared, we also had dirty cutlery and cups. I would have stayed here again but the attitude of the manager really spoilt our stay.

Room Tip: I would go for a family room as they are away from the rest which are all down a long narrow corrido...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sally41
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your review, the hotel will be having a full refurbishment in September this year which will address all the points you have raised. I have shared your review with all my team and we hope we can welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.
London, UK
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just off the Cotswold Way so ideal for walkers, as we were. After a mammoth (for us) 15 mile day anywhere would have done for the night, but the Royal George was very welcoming and relaxing, quite quiet the night we were there so plenty of room to relax in the bar in my slippers! The hotel's decor is a bit shabby but that didn't bother us too much. The menu is generic Old English Inns fyre, but better cooked that at the Rising Sun down the road. However the day we were there it took us an hour to get breakfast, possibly as they were under-staffed. Omelettes were great when they arrived though.

1 Thank TameAnimal
Thank you for taking the time to offer your review, I have shared your lovely comments with all my team. We all hope to welcome you back again in the future. Michael and all the team.
Armidale, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for 1 night during our walk of the Cotswold Way in April. The Royal George was everything we could want at the end of a days walk. We were given a lovely large room with a four poster bed, sitting area and large ensuite bathroom. We enjoyed drinks in the bar before a delicious meal in the dining room.

Service was excellent, check-in was very quick and efficient and the staff in the bar and restaurant very friendly. Carol Jones was particularly helpful as I had emailed her a number of times before our arrival about the booking. We had a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for you truly fantastic review, I have shared it with all my team and Carol felt very proud that you gave her a special mention. We all very much hope we can welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We booked two rooms for two nights at The George and I have had to give it a 3 rating as I like to be honest when I review places. This is a lovely hotel, the staff were really friendly even when we arrived on a busy Sunday afternoon. The rooms we had were spotlessly clean but unfortunately were a bit tired, the door was missing from one wardrobe and the wallpaper was peeling away from our wall, they could do with a bit if TLC, the walls are thin and in the morning we didn't need to turn our TV on as we could clearly hear the one in the next room, however the beds were huge and very comfortable.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and decided on the roast as it was Sunday, we should have guessed that it wasn't going to be great when the waitress came back to tell us they had run out of a couple of the meats they offer, she also looked knackered and said it had been really busy. The food arrived and was edible but not great, the other food that was coming out looked good so we probably should have ordered something different. Breakfast made up for the evening meal as it was really well cooked and presented, the cooked English breakfast was lovely as was the cold buffet of cereals, pastries etc. The waiting staff were the same as the night before and could have done with the morning off as they were just going through the motions.
To sum up this is a lovely hotel in a great location and the price we paid for two nights with breakfast was excellent so all in all a good experience. I would have given it a four rating if it wasn't for the rooms and the evening meal.

Room Tip: If you want a wardrobe with two doors then beware of room 25.
1 Thank davenich85
Thank you for taking the time to offer your review, I offer my sincere apologies that the food was not up to our usual quality. The hotel will be having a full refurbishment in Sept 2014, this will address some of the points you raise. I have shared your lovely comments about my team with them directly and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future. Michael and the team.
Benalmadena, Spain
Reviewed 11 April 2014

From the check in to the departure this was a 100 % hotel.
location was chosen by the route we were on so cant comment on the surroundings,
Check-in was quick and professional,
Room was spot on, all you needed with complimentary toiletries.
Breakfast was really good with a really well cooked English.
On arrival back home i realised i had left my electric shaver and toiletries bag in the bathroom, So I rang the hotel and they said they would be happy to send it on but due to it having some medication in it they could not,
I arranged my own courier to collect and they wrapped it up ready to be collected,
I would recommend this place without hesitation, Joe

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your fantastic review I have shared it with all my team and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.
Blisland, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a really good Hotel in an excellent location. We had a really nice room overlooking the garden. All the staff are very friendly and made us feel welcome at all times. The Bar area was very welcoming, as was the resteraunt where we where treated to a lovely breakfast. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birdlip
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
The Rising Sun Hotel
The Rising Sun Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cleeve Hill

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!