Royal George Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cowley Manor(Cowley)
View Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel(Upton St Leonards)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsold english innswedding venuegood sizefull englishevening mealeggs benedictfish and chipsenjoyable staysuperior roomlovely hotelthe pubroom was largenight breakfour postershort breakstayed for two nightsbiscuits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked here because we wanted to walk the Cotswolds way. From Trip Advisor we knew it was in need of refurbishment but left it too late to change as it was Bank Holiday weekend and everywhere else was full (this should have been a sign!) Shabby doesn't even cover it. I would have thought it would have been more economic for them to close the hotel until the refurb and not lose so much business with non returners/poor ratings! I will say, however, the bed was very comfortable
My only other suggestion is staff training. At one point we were told by a female member of staff, standing by the reception, she couldn't give us our room key and to 'read the sign' on the desk! When we questioned our bill on leaving the receptionist was very hostile and kept repeating the same thing over and over in an ever increasing exasperated voice. A note to management: when a guest has a question it is not acceptable to treat them like idiots
On the whole the lads (they were all young) working there were very accommodation and smiling however, with one exception (a young waitress at breakfast), all the female staff where surly and unhelpful.

1  Thank SD1957
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a substantial premises considering its location, in a quiet tucked away village. I have a childhood memory of this being on the main route to Gloucester from the east, vehicles having problems travelling up and down Birdlip hill. Gloucester being the first crossing point of the river Seven on route to Wales, prior to M4 and the bridges.
The George belongs to Old English Inns being part of the Greene King Group. As such is restricted by the corporate central purchasing limitations, nevertheless the rooms are good, clean, and spacious. The food is standard pub food, adequate but lacking imagination, bearing these facts in mind you get value for money in a charming building for £75 per room, bed and breakfast. I recommend

Room Tip: Ask for room as far away from the bar as possible unless you want to join in some possible revelry.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked this hotel in jan to stay in may and asked for a ground floor QUIET room?
When i arrived i went to reception and was told simply"YOUR ROOM WILL BE READY IN 20 TO 30 MINUTES" after telling me this simply turned away and ignored me!I had just driven for 3 and a half hours with my wife and son and thought this a very poor reception.I went and sat in a near deserted restarant and thought this a bit strange for a sunday lunchtime?I went back to reception after half an hour to be given a room over a wedding reception a hall on the THIRD FLOOR.As i was only paying £60 pounds a night i did not complain YET!.I booked a table in the restarant a week earlier expecting it to be busy(bank holiday weekend) .I ordered a simple meal beef and ale pie with veg.The food was awful the pie looked like it been warmed over far too many times(cardboard) and the veg was microwaved and very cruntchy.When we went to bed we were greeted for the rest of the evening to thud,thud,thud of dance music to twelve. I was very angry at this but too tired too complain and thought as it was only two nights did`nt want to cause a seen(especialy at someones wedding reception).The next morning went to breakfast in the restarant,ordered full english.Food bad again sausages were hard like the had been left out to dryout.All this and i did not complain.
I asked for a piece of bread to be brought out to me to have with my breakfast and halfway through eating it found GREEN MOULD growing on it.
I had spent £170.00 including sunday lunch at this place and at this point took the person who said he was in charge of the restarant out to have a quiet word .
I made all these points known(as wriiten above).
I did not point out the DANGEROUS LIGHT FITTINGS OR POOR DECOR OF THE ROOM.
I still felt very sorry for the young lad who had to stand in the hall outside the restarant with me pointing out so many faultsI lost count of how many times he said sorry.
I have never complained so much about a hotel EVER.
I had read several complaints about this place on tripadvisor before i booked but there were some positive comments there aswell so based on cheap and cheerfull i booked it.
I think a hostel is cheap and cheerful, but i booked a HOTEL
This place is not a good place to stay some of the staff are very good but it is not a good team and the restarant should have a council inspection or be shut down.
Unfortunatley i would not recommend this hotel if you take my advise with a pinch of salt as i did others you only have yourself to blame when you complain
This hotel has a 3 star AA rating I am staggered to see that on their reception wall i cant beleive it is valid based on my experience here.
I expect to get a response similar to the others given by the hotel ,if you want to do that i,m afriad saying sorry won,t cut it i can only accept a full refund as an apoligy.
How could i have booked such a place 3 months in advance and so much go wrong?
The food was so bad that although we had breakfasted included in our stay on the next day we drove 7 minutes to a local hungryhorse restarant and paid for it there after the green mould incident would you eat there?

Room Tip: stay somewhere else(premier inn 10 minutes away)theres no point asking for specifics i gave them 3 months to contact me and they still did`nt bother
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent two nights at the Royal George and thought it was a good area to launch ourselves off from to visit nearby attractions. Not sure at first about a fairly noisy wedding party on the first night as I'm not keen on large noisy parties, but realise that quiet out of the way hotels have to cater for various things to be successful and viable. Hotel clean and comfortable, plentiful breakfast and middle of the road pub style food otherwise. Seemed quite popular with walkers as the hotel was very close to the Cotswold Way and there were spectacular views a short distance away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review, the hotel does cater for Weddings however we always do our upmost to ensure other guests staying in the hotel are not disturbed. Thank you once again for your review, Michael Jeffries, General Manager.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Perfectly positioned on the Cotswold Way, an old building with character, bedrooms were clean and reasonable size, but a little tired, we had an evening meal and the food was of reasonable quality but the staff seemed to have their own conversations at the front of their mind, kept on disappearing, and not focused the client. Service was very slow with other tables being served after we came in, they did not bring the drinks we ordered so I went to the Bar and bought them to our table my self two of the Beers on draft had run out. The Drinks were included in the bill, and a revised bill agreed. Breakfast was of good quality, service a little better, but serial, orders taken one course at a time. Overall as we had booked in advance and obtained discounts on the £95/room it was reasonable value, otherwise it would not have been worth the £95. Attention to detail would have made the stay much better.

Room Tip: Book in advance to obtain the discounts
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies with regards to the slow service, you comments have been shared with my team and action will be taken to improve those areas moving forward. Thank you for taking the time to offer your review. Michael Jeffries, General Manager