“Good pub” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Golden Heart Inn

The Golden Heart Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Birdlip
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A 16th Century traditional Cotswold country inn with a roaring log fire, a restful and charming atmosphere, with a large garden overlooking a beautiful valley.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Good pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

A good pub offering real ale and good food. Located on a main road between Cheltenahm and Cirencester, this does not detract too much. The service is good with a wide ranging menu when we visited.

Visited December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting food, good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I'd organised a family get together for 24 people, ranging from 1 to 93. I booked the Golden Heart for lunch on the way. Unlike previous years (at other pubs) we couldn't choose our food in advance because they change their blackboard menu so rapidly. But that turned out to be an advantage - everyone was most impressed by the imaginative menu. Then as we got drinks everyone marvelled at how reasonable the prices were. I saw that a Berberana wine I'd bought retail for over £7 was on the wine list at £12.95, a very modest markup. When the food came it was all good quality, plentiful and interesting and the staff were ultra helpful. I had the job of collecting the money for the main bill and people must have been impressed - with everyone just putting in what they reckoned they owed there was enough for a good tip. If we hadn't had a big breakfast the next day at the hotel down the hill we'd have gone back for lunch on our way back. So they did very well with a big party and there was enough room for us all, in the room up the stairs past the kitchen.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Very happy with the accommodation and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This inn is slighthy off the Cotswold Way, so you either have to walk the trail to Birdlip and then add another 1-1.5miles to get to the inn, or take a detour at Seven Springs and use a picturesque public path across the fields.

We were allocated a room in the converted barn which was lovely. The bed was a joined-together twin bed, but very comfy. Bathroom was tiny, but clean, with a powershower.

We booked a table in the inn and it was quite busy due to Easter weekend. There is no table service so you have to order at the bar. What we liked was the fact that you could open a tab and all drinks and food were charged to it and you pay for everything when you check-out. The restaurant has a large selection of dishes, including exotic meats. My fiance ordered Wagyou beef burger which he liked and I ordered a fillet steak which turned out to be a massive piece of meat I would never get it London for the same price. It all tasted lovely.

The next morning we came for breakfast and were the only ones in. Scrambled eggs with salmon was great.

Worth recommending!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nagabunda
Glos
“Disappointed by available menu”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We decided to visit the Golden Heart to my husband's 70th birthday, based on the menu on the Golden Heart's website. However we were rather disappointed at the choices available to us. The Golden Heart has a reputation locally for unusual meats but nothing out of the ordinary was on the menu that evening. I was also looking forward to having Banoffi pie, but this too was not on the menu. We asked at the bar about this and the young lady said that the website menu was "only a sample menu" and "we get a lot of people asking for banoffi pie". Well if you advertise it and a lot of people ask for it why don't you have it on the menu!!!

My husband had a steak which was rather grissly and my son and I had the steak and vegetable pie with dauphinoise potatoes. The pie looked rather like a bought in pie and the potatoes were just a block of tepid potatoes which looked rather unappetising. All in all a rather disappointing experience.

The pub itself is very nice though and I would go there for a drink but I wouldn't go there for a meal again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The beer at The Golden Heart Inn was very good. The roast beef was average the roast potatoes were cold the veg was microwaved so at least hot.
You had to order at the bar would have liked table service the 2 waitresses were rushed off their feet which could account for them being so miserable.
I had high expectations of this pub and felt sadly let down.
Very average.
They could improve customer service just by being more welcoming.

1 Thank Ann B