“Delightful Oasis in the Cotswolds”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Blockley B&B and Inns
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Delightful Oasis in the Cotswolds”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had never heard of Blockley until I was introduced by an offer for an overnight stay.
On contacting the Hotel, Lisa could not have been more helpful and accommodating,as my wife is recovering from an illness and arranged a room(12) near to reception.
In keeping with the Village and the Hotel itself ,the room although not large had a lovely rustic charm and atmosphere.
Our party of four decided to eat at the hotel and we all enjoyed not only the food in the comfortable bar ,but also chatting to Jan who had looked after our every need. From the Czech Republic,his English along with his manner was very commendable and a credit to the hotel, as were all the staff we encountered.
Although having stayed in far more luxurious, and expensive establishments over the years ,without a doubt we will remember the "Crown Hotel" with Fondness.

Stuart P
Hinckley

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stuart P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
manchester
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in march 2014 excellent value for the money we paid, on arrival very friendly receptionist.Room was very good decent size for what we paid .Very nice bar area friendly bar manager .Fish and chips i had for dinner was a let down very greasy batter and tiny fish fillet,breakfast was ok mushrooms not fresh as stated ,would stay again on an offer .

2 Thank biburybill
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

attentive staff, excellent food and clean rooms.

A groupon promotion which we will be repeating this Summer.

No pool or fitness suite

Only downside, which the staff cannot remedy is the number of stairs to bar and bedroom

1 Thank 69elaine
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights on a Groupon voucher on a B&B basis. On approaching the hotel you have to go down a morrow street which has parked cars down one side, then negotiate a tight turn through the arch to get to the car park. Checked in with no problems and shown straight to our room which was 25 as this is a dog friendly room. Was a bit worried about it been dog friendly as my other half is allergic to animals, (our pouch is a Cockapoo which is hypoallergenic) but no need to worry as the room was spotless. The lounge area and bed area was open plan and on two levels which was really pleasant. The washroom was if the bedroom. The hotel looks as though it has had a complete refurbish as all the carpets and decorating looked new? The room had a large flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facility's with "Bronte" biscuits. On the first night we ate in the resteraunt which was a little expensive for what you got. Breakfast was very nice with branded cereals, fresh fruit and fruit juice available to start with and full English breakfast to complete it off. All the staff were very friendly and helpfull. The following night we ate out at the Maharaja Indian resteraunt in Chipping Camden which is well worth a visit. If I was going to hotel in the Cotwolds again, I would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheRealTyke
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our daughters treated us to a weekend at the Crown at Blockley as a Xmas present. We stayed at the weekend of 14/15th February and had a wonderful time. It was a chilly weekend, but our room was warm and cosy. The breakfasts were delicious as were the evening meals we had in the restaurant on both nights. I would advise booking a table to avoid disappointment. The staff were very courteous and friendly. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa H
Shenley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel if thats what you call it last friday 21st -23rd March. I too like so many others did this via a groupon deal and paid an additional £40 a night to upgrade to the four poster room. I really don't know where some of the reviewers stayed that have given really great reviews because it doesn't appear to be the same hotel that we were staying at!
I did come back from our stay feeling totally let down as this was supposed to be a romantic break for my partner & I. I felt inclined to email a letter addressing it to the manager , this I did on monday 24th March and as yet had no reply.
I've copied & pasted the letter I wrote which I attached some pictures. Decide for yourselves if this is somewhere you would choose to say. As yet Kevin & his team who normally replies to negative reviews in a very rude manner via Trip advisor has yet to respond to my what I thought was a polite letter:
----
I booked a stay at The Crown, Blockley from 21st through to the 23rd (we checked out on this Sunday 23rd)
I booked this via Groupon, early part of this year, it was part of my partners Birthday gift to him & I wanted it to be extra special so I paid an extra £40 per night for an upgrade to the 4 poster bed room, like I said I wanted It to be special. I did my usual homework prior to booking and went on Trip advisor as I always do & read the reviews and they appeared to be positive overall?
On arrival we were greeted by Lisa who was very polite and saw us to our Room, my personal first impression of our room was not good. The Carpet was grubby as we entered and you could see the rest was in need of a good steam clean., I let this pass. After Lisa left us and we began to unpack we noticed that there was a damp patch on the ceiling above by the Window again we didn’t allow this to deter our stay. As we began to unpack I proceeding into the bathroom where I lifted the Toilet Seat and the site that was before me was not good to say the least. I immediately went to reception where I asked Lisa if she could come to our Room. I showed her all of the above mentioned and she agreed that this was not acceptable and could not be more apologetic, she ensured us that housekeeping had not made her aware of the unsightly damp patch and that the toilet cleanliness would be reported. She said she could move us to the Premier suite just down the corridor however this did not have a 4 poster bed but did have a small lounge area, (Thank god for that small TV in the lounge area as the main TV in the Bedroom had no signal what so ever during our stay)
Anyway, Lisa showed us the Premier suite, it was just a normal Room with a tiny TV area separate from the bedroom, nothing special to warrant an additional £40 a night.

We was determined to enjoy our stay so accepted this room without wanting to make any further fuss. Again the room itself was tired looking and in need of freshening up, maybe freshening up is putting it mildly, we were advised that the room was decorated not that long ago, really??
We later noticed that around the room there were cobwebs obviously been there a good while & the room was not as clean as you would expect from any hotel at any star rating. Ive attached some pictures. We felt we had to say something and we did very politely. The gentleman manning reception again was very apologetic, and offered to get the Room cleaned again.
We decided to go for a walk and when we returned the young man mentioned that room had been cleaned and hoped it was ok this time. He offered us a complementary bottle of wine at dinner, we were booked 7.30. I would like to say that we could have gone for the most expensive bottle offered on the wine list but instead we asked for white Pino Gregio one of the cheapest if not the cheapest on them menu.
Please note, The pictures attached were taken after the room had been re cleaned???
On a positive note The Crown is manned by very good and hardworking front of house staff and acted upon all our queries. There seemed to be the same staff on duty during the our whole stay, day and night?
This whole experience was ruined for us for what should have been a relaxing romantic break away in the Cotswolds.
Housekeeping need a serious talking too and so does management.
I don’t often find myself complaining, I always look forward to our trips away and am naturally a laid back person my comments on trip advisor have never been derogatory unless I feel it justified hence this email.

2 Thank acs1960
Kevin B, Previous Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hello,
Just to let you know I Kevin Bracha the previous manager of The Crown Hotel have nothing to do with the running of the hotel, I left the hotel employment back in September last year, sorry to disappoint you for one of my famous responses!!!

Kevin.

Travellers are raving about these Blockley hotels

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked via a Group On promotion a two night stay to celebrate our 35th Wedding anniversary, staying in room 15. We had a four poster bedroom suite which contained a bouquet of flowers on our arrival.

The staff were welcoming and attentive when required. The bar is in traditional English style and cosy.

We had a meal in the main restaurant which was superbly cooked for both our differing requirements.

The WiFi enabled us to keep in touch with the world (when we needing too).

We were made to be comfortable in this stone build Cotswold Inn and found the village with its mill and pretty cottages and the Arboretum 8 minutes drive away very relaxing.

This is a great place to stay and unwind in beautiful countryside.

Room Tip: The Crown Inn is in the upper part of the village in what is essentially a Cul d Sac. e.g one way in...