“No sleep.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Blockley B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“No sleep.”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Myself, husband and dog stayed here for two nights at the end of May. We were looking forward to a relaxing break away. I am 5 months pregnant. We were put in a tiny room, paper thin walls, but was adequate enough was quite quirky. Me and husband have travelled around loads and have stayed in hostels to five star hotels. But I am sad to say that this was probably the worst place we have stayed. We could deal with the small room, very average evening food, grumpy staff and not the cleanest of rooms. But the one thing we cannot cope with and that's a sleepless night! Our room was underneath an attic room (rm 7) The first night the guests upstairs must have had an early night as we didn't hear them much, but on the Saturday it was terrible. The guests were only walking about their room so it was no fault of them, but it sounded as though the ceiling was going to give way it was soooo noisy and this went until 2.30am. We were all unsettled including the dog. I have never stayed in a place where I have had the most awrful nights sleep and we have stayed in some dodgy places!! I am sure we are not the first to complain about this as there is no getting away from that noise.
A further complaint we had was with the cleaning service. Rooms are cleaned everyday, but towels and sheets are only changed if needed. We used a towel to clean something up in the floor. So we placed the dirty towels on the floor by the door to request clean towels. But when we returned, the dirty towels were back in the bathroom.
The evening food is very standard and quite bland, we got charged extra to have cream with desert and my apple wasn't warmed through. I complained about the cold pie, but they still charged for the pie even though I could not finish it. breakfast was however quite good and plentiful.
The only thing really going for this place is the location. The village is lovely, quaint and pretty and a good spot to visit other parts of the Cotswolds,, but sadly we would not stay in this hotel again.

When checking out we spoke to a member of staff about the room, but were told that the hotel is old and floor boards are creaky and that was that!! We understand that the hotel is old, however this was more than creaky floor boards, it was incredibly loud. This should be highlighted to other customers that are staying in this room. This was not the relaxing break we were hoping for!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank June J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I waited 10 minutes to be checked in, then when a woman came out she said she couldn't do check ins and that I'd have to wait for another member of staff. She didn't go and alert them and I waited another 5 minutes before anyone showed up. Breakfast doesn't start til 8.30am which is not much use to people staying on business. I asked if I could perhaps get some cereal earlier but when I went along before 8.30am then next day the waiter told me breakfast wasn't open. I was put out in an annex with no wifi and a very small bathroom. I would not recommend the hotel to business travellers. Overall grumpy staff who didn't care how my stay was. The room was clean. I didn't eat at the hotel in the evening so cannot comment on the food.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in rooms 26-29 unless you don't mind the isolation and lack of wifi.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Doggri
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed here for three nights with my wife on a cheap deal. Its the type of place you would expect to bump into Miss Marple sitting across from you at breakfast. The room was fairly clean, bright and comfortable. Bedding and towels immaculate. The staff were ok and one of them spoke English. On the first night we chose a bar meal from the menu in our room but when we went down to order found none of the meals we wanted were available so we had to choose again. Cant remember what I had but it must have been ok. The breakfast was very good, the wi-fi was ok because our room was over the reception, so overall not bad.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is one of the worst if not the worst place I have stayed, I was staying for business purposes and this does not meet the standards in which I experience at other hotels. The room was booked by my PA so a lot of blame sits with her but..... No room service, no air con, staff was quite miserable, 6ft 2" and placed in the loft hitting my head feeling like a hobbit! The room had a sample menu for both bar and restaurant, i read the menu and took a fancy to the warm grilled chicken breast salad, only to find out that there was not one item on either menu that tallied up. No salad options at all! No wifi even though advertised as having wifi, no mobile connection unless I hang out the window at a certain angle, toilet did not flush properly, shower look to disgusting to use and being in the loft I was fortunate to have a water tank trickling above my head all night. Apart from that perfect!! Fair to say that If my PA tries to book me here again,I will be sleeping my car.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MrB711

Travellers are raving about these Blockley hotels

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Oh dear, locked in room as it had a dodgy lock, the second rooms shower head was the most disgusting thing I've seen in a while and a cupboard signed fire door Keep locked was open and it was storing Archive documents with people's names and addresses on them. The kitchen and waiting staff had a row which was heard in the coffee lounge (language so appalling I can't repeat and Peter the barman was also the waiter, maintenance, waiter,receptionist. No management was seen in 3 days/2nights and the general cleanliness needs to be looked into. the car park was full of rubbish, but other than that for somewhere to lay your head was ok. I have photos and would love to share them!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here with a coupon, which made it good value for money. Room was cosy and I slept well with no problems with noise.
If wifi, and even mobile phone connection is important this is not the hotel for you. The only place the wifi worked for me is in the reception area of the hotel. Couldn't get it in the bar so my plan of dinner in the bar and doing some research for next part of trip was thwarted.
Staff were helpful, even allowing me to checkout late as I was very jet lagged so I really appreciated their kindness. Food was okay - not memorable but edible.
If you have a big bag you may have to carry it down steep driveway - I just put a few things from this into my smaller bag for the night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Shanara1
exeter
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very nice hotel in a lovely cotswold village, not a lot happens here, ideal for those looking for a tranquill break, clean, comfortable, nice breakfast although not available untill 8.30 and the bar closes at regular pub hours, luckily we had an annexe and found a pub down the road serving a late one with a bit more going on.

Room Tip: get the annexe then you can get in late
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank frank575
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blockley
White Hart Royal Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!