“Fabulous Food in Friendly Village pub”
Review of The Butchers Arms

The Butchers Arms
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Clearwell
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A very warm welcome to the Butchers Arms. One of the oldest pubs in the Forest of Dean, we have been welcoming locals and visitors alike since 1802. Our menu combines signature 'Butchers' dishes with traditional British favourites, our modern recipes and grills are all prepared by Head Chef Matt Wheeler and his team from the freshest ingredients. Wherever possible we will endeavour to provide produce from local suppliers so you can truly have a taste of the Forest of Dean. We pride ourselves in providing good quality food, excellent service and a relaxed atmosphere. All our food is cooked fresh to order, so please allow a little time for service. We look forward to seeing you. Matt and Scott Directors
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I had dinner at The Butchers Arms whilst staying next door at The Tudor Farmhouse. The welcome and warmth of the pub was evident from when we stepped inside the door. The restaurant was full of a mixture of tourists and locals.
We were served by two friendly and knowledgeable staff. I asked for a starter portion of one of the main courses and this was no problem. For our mains, we both ordered steak, which was cooked wonderfully, I am a stickler for very rare steak and it was lovely. Sides were also tasty and generous.
I found out as we were leaving they have recently started doing accommodation. so hopefully we will return soon for a couple of nights as there is so much to see and explore in the local area.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My family and i ate here over the weekend and the food turely was wonderful!

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My family and I ate here over the weekend it pub was very busy nice to see consdering the resection! I had the char-grilled chicken brest with chips and salad and it really was lovely, my parnter had the steak pie again this was really really good top gravy, my son had the childs chicken nuggets and my daughter had the amazingly good lasangne. The staff where very friendly and couldnt do enought for us. Overall a wonderful meal!

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We came here on the last night of our jubilee holiday to Clearwell and it was so much better than another restaurant in the village that we had eaten in the night before. It has a lovely atmosphere and is 'olde worlde' with some contemporary touches. The waitress, the chef and the bar staff were all very friendly and helpful and even allowed us to eat in the 'snug' with our dog. The food was top quality and we each had a 3 course meal for under £15pp (a midweek deal). On top of this, we got a 20% discount on our food bill as we stayed at The Old Bakery - a self catering cottage just down the road. A number of interesting vegetarian dishes were on the menu and the wines were all very reasonably priced. It really made our last night special and we wouldn't eat anywhere else if we were to visit Clearwell again!

1  Thank Amanda_rich25
Matt W, Owner at The Butchers Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Hello

Thank you for leaving a review, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that it rounded off what sounded like a fantastic weekend. Thank you very much for the compliments on our restaurant, food and the service. We hope to see you soon.

Many Thanks

Matt Wheeler
Head Chef and Director

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Made a reservation to visit with a group of friends, food took an eternity to arrive and portion sizes were inconsistent. Have had good meals here in the past but I've never been able to say that it's consistently good.

Hello

I am sorry to hear that you have had inconsistent experiences with us in the past, this is not acceptable we will always endeavor to provide good quality service and excellent food. Please call, ask for me and I would be more than happy to discuss the issues in greater depth. We would like to thank you for your considered and valuable feedback. i look forward to hearing from you

Many Thanks