“Simply amazing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clearwell
Darwin, Australia
“Simply amazing”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

From the moment i arrived to the moment I left - amazing is the only word to describe my experience. I arrived later in the day and had requested ground floor because of mobility issues -
and was immediately upgraded to a room that was closer to reception / dining area. I had parked the car (not in the car park) but near reception and was told it was fine to leave it there - people could get past and if I needed to move it they would come and get me..
Evening meal was at a predetermined time with only a few in the dining room early. The meal was just wonderful - and because i had work to do that nite - they arranged to bring my dessert to my room
If I had to put on my critique hat - I would comment about the tele that went off after about an hour and i couldnt get it work again .. but that wasnt an issue for me. . . and you could also hear other guests .. but again - it didnt cause any concern for me at all.
The really important things for me - parking, good reliable (free) WIFI, and great brekky were certainly well and truly met - and the whole experience exceeded expectations with can do attitude and great evening meal..
Will certainly try and find an excuse to come back ..just wonderful.. thank you

Room Tip: I only saw Room 22 and can certainly recommend that
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SDDarwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

As an anniversary treat we booked the summer break which included 2 nights bed, breakfast and dinner. We had booked one of the less expensive rooms but on arrival were given a free upgrade to room 22. This is a lovely room with a spectacular bathroom and the thickest towels I've ever seen. Other nice touches were fresh milk in the fridge and home made biccies in a jar ( we could of eaten twice as many of those bad boys). Dinner started with a glass of prosecco with nuts an olives in the lounge before proceeding to the pretty dining room for a lovely meal. We slept well on a very comfortable bed and barely noticed any noise from upstairs. Breakfast was part buffet and part cooked to order. How lovely not to face one of those hotel toast machines!
There is lots to do in the area. We visited Tintern Abbey and took a boat trip from Symond's Yat. .
All in all a lovely break. Not cheap but well worth it.

Overall a lovely treat. Not cheap but well worth it.

part cooked to order. How lovely not to face one of those toast machines that produces either off

white or charcoaled bread. I treated my self to porridge with cream and honey as well as delicious scrambled eggs. Everything was lovely including the friendly and helpful staff.
The setting of the hotel and the area in general is picturesque and tranquil. We visited Tintern Abbey and had a boat trip from Symond's Yat (We saw a snake swimming across the river) and on the following day visited Clearwell Caves. There are lots of lovely walks in the area too.
All in all we had a lovely break. Not cheap but we were looking for a special treat and we certainly found it at the Tudor Farmhouse.

Room Tip: Room 22 is lovely. I can't comment on the other rooms.
1 Thank Trudiesw
Mollington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is fantastic, the rooms are immaculate with ever facility including a Nespresso coffee machine, sheer heaven. All the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, especially Lara in reception, nothing is too much trouble, even for demanding people like me. The breakfast choice, service and presentation is superb and the evening meal was beautifully cooked and served, but for me personally un peu trop nouvelles, a dish of vegetables would have been very much appreciated, but this is a personal observation, and the bucket of home made bread almost compensated

Room Tip: Pay for a lightly better room than basic, it is worth the cost
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2015
Dear David D
Thank you for reviewing your stay last your and I'm sorry its taken such a long time to reply.
I'm delighted you had such an enjoyable visit and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best
Cardiff
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding in nearby Clearwell Castle. We booked directly with the hotel and the whole process was seamless. They checked with us the day before we arrived if there was anything else we required and looked forward to seeing us. A nice touch indeed. The hotel is lovely, set in the Forest of Dean, with a main building and numerous lodges. We stayed in what appeared to be a converted barn which was full of character. The room was well appointed, clean and extremely comfortable. The staff were welcoming and couldn't do enough to make our stay so enjoyable. We ate breakfast on the morning of departure which was sourced from local ingredients and was superb. If ever we're in the locality again we will definitely return and will be recommending the Tudor Farmhouse to friends.

1 Thank Mike E
Dear Mark E
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay last year. Please accent my apologies for the slow response.
I'm delighted you had such a good stay and hope to see you again in the future.
Very best wishes
South Wales (UK)
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent one night after a wedding at Clearwell castle near by. The place is brilliant! Not only it has lovely rooms, beautiful surroundings and breakfast to die for; they were so accomodating and full of lovely touches. They let us have access to the room although it wasn't ready just so we could get ready in time for the wedding. The room had lovely, big umrellas we could borrow. They had been in touch before to check about possible allergies and check in times. All the staff was lovely, friendly and very helpful. We definately recommend it if you are in the area.

1 Thank SarahBubble
Dear SarahBubble
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay last year and I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to reply.
I'm delighted you had such a good stay and would thoroughly recommend re-visiting this beautiful area in the future when you'll have a bit more time to explore.
Kind regards
NORTHANTS
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely break here to celebrate s special birthday, hence we booked the superior room 7, I was a bit disappointed as the room seemed rather small and for £170 a night I think was overpriced. Other than your own front door and Jacuzzi facility in the bath we didn't feel there wasn't anything to justify the amount charged. We would stay again but opt for a standard room. The breakfast was very good and so was the evening meal. We visited symonds yat rock and the views were stunning, also Ross on Wye was a great stop off for shopping and restaurants. Overall would give the hotel 4* but would choose a cheaper room next time .

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JOJO46
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us and please accept my apologies for the slow response.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and meals as well as making the most that this beautiful area has to offer.
While our Ciderhouse Rooms are a bit more expensive that the standard rooms we feel that they are quite competitively priced compared with similar rooms elsewhere. I'm sorry you did not feel it represented value for money and am delighted to hear you would consider staying again in another room.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Best wishes
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fundamentally this is a good hotel with the rooms decorated and kitted out to a high standard. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food good.

However, the room is by no means cheap and so I therefore have an expectation of a good restful nights sleep which I actually didn't completely get:

The mattress was very firm in our room and I woke several times on the first night with aching bones but, after mentioning this to reception in the morning, they put a mattress topper on the bed which sorted the problem out for the second night. They also said that no one had mentioned this before, so perhaps it's just me.

But much more of an issue for us was the noise form the garden tables and chairs in the courtyard garden just outside our room. It's a lovely picturesque garden and the outdoor seating is perfect for aperitifs etc before going into dinner. However, people also used these tables into the late evening and were talking and laughing until 11.30, keeping us awake long after we'd have ideally wanted to be asleep. Perhaps, again, other people might not be as sensitive to this as I am

Anyway, we had a great break in the Forest of Dean and will return to the area again, although probably not to this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JudyH008
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and apologies for the time taken to respond.
I'm sorry you found the mattress uncomfortable on the first night. This is very much an area where its difficult to cater for personal preference and this is the only instance that I'm aware of that anyone has found our pocket sprung mattresses uncomfortable. I'm glad to hear this problem was resolved by fitting a mattress topper for the second night.
Apologies also that noise from the garden kept you awake until 11.30pm. We are on the whole lucky to have considerate guests and it is unusual to receive any complaints.
I hope on reflection you might consider returning again. Our newly refurbished rooms in the Farmhouse are beyond earshot of the garden and have been fitted out to the same high standard as the Ciderhouse Rooms with roll top baths and monsoon showers.
Best wishes
Colin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwell
The Speech House Hotel
Best Western Royal George Hotel
Glewstone Court
Glewstone Court
#1 of 13 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Tudor Farmhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!