“Characteristic and Qurky”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corse Lawn
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Characteristic and Qurky”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Love staying at Corse Lawns Hotel it's full of character and very quirky, where else would you stay where there's fresh tea coffee and fruit in the rooms, no sachets here, yes sure the decor in some of the rooms looks a little tired, curtains faded etc but it doesn't matter here, service is good and "Baba" the owner cooks breakfast for you. We stayed after brothers 50th wedding Anniversay, food was lovely service good, relaxed atmosphere. Look forward to returning again. Marian Ovey and Tony Barnes

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank MarianOvey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Oswestry
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I can understand why some of the negative comments have been left by some people. Those who normally stay in modern purpose built, glass and plastic hotels may well think this place a little dated but that’s just the nature of the beast. It has been described as in a ‘time warp’ by which I assume the reviewer means ‘old fashioned’ well, what’s wrong with that provided it’s done well?

Stuff an old Queen Ann building with modern IKEA style furniture and it would be totally incongruous and frankly, a little daft. I can only assume the complainers did not take the trouble to read anything about the Corse Lawn before they booked or they would have seen the hotels own web site clearly says the rooms are filled with ‘Hine family antiques’! If you can’t be bothered to read the description, don’t complain. Yes, old buildings do get a few cob-webs regardless how often they are removed and keep in mind it’s a three star hotel so don’t expect the Ritz Carlton.

I was greatly looking forward to meeting the, and I quote, ‘Extremely Unpleasant Owner’ also referred to as ‘Ghastly lady’. Baba Hine turned out to be nothing but gracious, courteous and interesting to talk with, mark you I engaged her in a conversation rather than a heated complaint, in fact all the staff with whom I interacted were friendly, helpful and polite.

It’s fair to say Baba could be described as an English eccentric but when did that suddenly become a negative? We need more eccentrics in this country or we will become a nation of, as Billy Connolly would say, ‘beige people’.

The food has been described as ‘dated’ yet a very trendy main of beef cheek was on the menu and the two meals my wife and I enjoyed were well cooked, well presented, reasonably priced and as one would expect in a restaurant that has AA two rosette plates all over the place, including one for 2012-2013.

Breakfast service the first morning was ‘relaxed’, any more so and it would have been horizontal! The one young lad on duty was working very hard but not very smart, with too many trips to and from the kitchen with only one item, I felt like giving him a hand at one stage. The food was fine though and as we were in no hurry we found it rather amusing

All in all a very pleasant and relaxing stay with good food, good wine and some good company. An ideal hotel for those who hanker for and appreciate the way good hotels used to be.

1 Thank FoodieOswestry
Willaston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My parents and husband took us to there favourite restaurant, they have been going there for years. The food and service was excellent. The owner and the staff were very chatty and helpful.
We arrived after dark, but would love to go on a summers day, beautiful setting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2013

To be totally honest I'm not sure my wife and I have been the same hotel as some other reviewers...the rooms do have character and the view of the duck pond is very pretty but the rooms are shabby the food dated and the swimming pool a disgrace a hotel can have old world charm and quirky without being left to fall apart Valium was a very nice guy I'm not trying to be rude but please freshen the hotel up it could be a little gem

2 Thank mark w
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Room very large with large bathroom, sofa, fridge with fresh milk for tea and coffee plus fresh fruit. Very comfortable large bed. Food was excellent - could not fault anything. Would definitely stay again.

1 Thank v8sheila
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We booked the hotel as travelling up from Southampton to the Malvern Show. We stopped on the Friday and Saturday evenings and had a lovely experience. Our room was large and comfortable. Like others, we enjoyed the little extras in the room. The staff were very good and balanced professional with friendly in exactly right proportions in our opinion.
We ate in the Bistro on the first evening as the restaurant was full and found the food and service extremely good. The Saturday night we ate in the restaurant which gave a wider menu and larger tables but actually the food was just as good in either room. You don't book a time you book the table and arrive whenever you are ready. I had lobster thermador on Saturday and it was absolutely delicious.
The breakfast was good and everything cooked to order - nothing buffet style. I asked for sauce at breakfast because I had read other reviews re brown sauce and could'nt resist!! There was only tomato - fine by me but if I had desperately wanted brown sauce I would have taken my own. We had such a lovely time I wouldn't dream of knocking off a star - if you are reading the reviews it just a tiny idiosyncrasy of a really nice hotel.
The duck pond is pretty with plenty of tables around the edge. The photos don't seem to do it justice, probably due to the time of the year. This weekend everything was colourful and lush in gardens.
We would definately go back if we where visiting that part of the country again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor room on the left hand side (as you look at the entrance) It overlooked...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Merlot2007
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My sister husband and I had a wonderful stay of one night with the special 7course tasting menu .I can only say that from the moment we arrived and were greeted by the lovely Kate' and taken to our room's which we're charming, we had a fabulous time. This really is home from home, but better. We loved the little touches with the fresh ground coffee, fresh milk in the fridge, home made biscuits and even hot water bottles in the drawer if required. The tasting menu was delicious and presented no problem when we asked to change one dish. My only regret was not being able to stay longer. Dina and Robert

Room Tip: Our rooms were of a good size on the first floor and overlooked the back. The lighting was generous...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Shurdington
Hatherley Manor
Hatherley Manor
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley

Been to Corse Lawn House Hotel? Share your experiences!