“Lovely Country Retreat - Top Class Service”

Corse Lawn House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corse Lawn
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Country Retreat - Top Class Service”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here for one night mid week whilst in the area. The hotel itself is a beautiful building set in wonderful grounds.

Our welcome was nothing but warm & extremely professional. We were showed to our room (Eldersfield) a spacious ground floor room with period furniture, seating area, desk; etc.

The bathroom was also of large proportions with a 4 piece suite & shower over with an abundance of hot water although could do with a little attention on the cosmetic front.

We dined as part of a private party in the Garden Room choosing from a set course menu and accompanying wine. I personally had Roast Chicken Breast with Lentils and Madeira Sauce for main & Warm Chocolate Brownie with Clotted Cream for dessert. Both of which was lovely & full of flavour.

My only negative element of the stay - the rooms were warm and unfortunately I am a light sleeper so the noise coming from the heating pipes did keep me a wake for a considerable amount of the night.

Breakfast was well cooked to order and very traditional - I wasn't offered any condiments and missed the baked beans!! But it was filling and the orange juice was gorgeous!

Baba and her accomplished team do well and the service received is second to none. If you are looking for a modern sleek looking country house hotel then this isn't for you. If you prefer good old fashion silver service, a house hotel full of family antiques along with all the charms that an old building brings then this is the place for you.

We would happily return again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheWarnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Beautiful hotel, old fashioned interior, home made shortbread biscuits in your room, loose tea and and real coffee. Fantastic food and lovely people. Highly recommend it. We had a travelzoo voucher for a 7 course taster menu. We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Don032
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

You can just tell quality when you see and feel it and that sums up our experiences at The Corse Lawn House Hotel. You can tell that the staff have been professionally trained from the moment you walk in until you check out, it is good old fashioned service.
The food was also excellent, fresh ingredients, prepared, cooked and served well. There was a wide choice on the menu and the corresponding wine list, both of which have been put together by people who know what they are talking about. I can recommend the home made marmalade and I don't like marmalade, but this is excellent. It was so nice just to see so much care had been taken over the food and alot of the fresh ingredients used from the garden and the fruit trees in the grounds.

Room Tip: This hotel is set in a quiet location, so traffic noise is not a problem. The room we had was large...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pat c
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After getting married in the Caribbean last month we decided to have a blessing and 'reception' upon our return with our family and friends as we went to the Caribbean on our own. My parents, without hesitation knew where the perfect place would be.........my favourite local hotel, Corse Lawn House Hotel.
The initial meeting was with Callum and we discussed menus, wine, numbers and where we'd dine. Initially we were booked to have the luncheon in the Garden Room (28 people on 3 separate tables) but as the party was potentially going to be for 30 people and I wanted to be on one long table they moved it into the dining room which was just superb!. They really did push the boat out for us and gave me the BEST 'wedding' day I dreamed of growing up.
The night before, I took centre pieces, favours, table decorations and a seating plan. I handed everything over to Giles and he took great care to make notes of what I wanted everything to look like. I'm not sure if all brides get so stressed out at last minute things and attention to detail but I know that Giles made me feel confident and at ease that everything would be fine. The nice thing also, I believed him!. I highly recommend this hotel for a wedding breakfast, luncheon or any important day, they really do know how to do their jobs and they know how to do them properly. That's a rarity in some hotels now!.
The day was perfect, we arrived had prosecco and canapés in the lounge with the open fire roaring away, the waiters always made sure our glasses were full, the children and non drinkers had Elderflower Presse. I went into the dining room to have a look at my table and WOW, I cried, it was better than I imagined. I was so pleased!. We were early for our lunch so we asked if it could be brought forward, which it was (where do you get service like that for a big party?) so we were all seated 45 mins before initially planned. The starter was a Smoked Chicken and Avocado Salad, Main course was Lamb with a Madeira Sauce and dessert was Warm Chocolate Brownie with Ice Cream finished off with coffee and Petit Fours. Service was efficient but not rushed. Everybody was perfectly happy and enjoyed their meal. One person out of 29 asked for their Lamb to be cooked a bit more (one of those people who like well done red meat), the Lamb was taken away and cooked a bit more. This was down to personal taste and nothing negative about the hotel because everybody else said it was beautiful and extremely tasty. I didn't hear one person say anything remotely negative about the hotel, everybody really enjoyed themselves. We had all ages there, from 4 years old upto 80 years old. That says a lot!!.
There is absolutely nothing I would change about the luncheon at Corse Lawn House Hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel for any bride. I didn't have to worry about a single thing and everything was better than I imagined. I would do it all again tomorrow!!.
Thank you to each and everyone at Corse Lawn House Hotel x

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SazO79
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

A bit concerned with all the flood warnings - but we got through with no problem. The hotel (Nikki) was just great and e-mailed a few days ahead to warn of which roads were closed. Also our babysitter was not available and in a panic I e-mailed the hotel about their dog policy. An immediate response was that Rosie was most welcome! How to make your worries disappear. When I booked I was told it was the last room available and I did wonder if it would be up to what we are used to. No problem there. Lovely spacious room on ground floor and lovely large bed. The fresh biscuits tea and coffee in the room are welcome - as is the whole bottle of milk in the fridge. We were there for the 7 course gourmet dinner, bed and breakfast. Although there were not many of us I understand they had a busy night - the night before. Lovely canapies pre dinner - obviously home made. Very nice dinner and lovely bottle of wine - not over priced. Coffee in one of the sitting rooms by a roaring log fire and served with some petit fois - not sure of spelling - but delightful little home made choc delights with a nice liquer. It is a family friendly hotel, warm, welcoming and comfortable. Expect warm welcome, friendly and attentive and cannot do enough for you whatever you want. It is family and pet friendly and has lots of open fires so yes there will be some dust. If you want pristine - then this is not you. If you want character and warmth ad comfort - then yes it has it all. Sadly their little swimming pool was out of service. We were pre-warned it was only small in a glass poly-tunnel but - that was not a concern. Shame it was closed - but how many of us really want to go swimming in January.? The breakfast made up and was lovely. Never rushed or pestered. We loved our visit and were so grateful that they allowed dogs for our stay. Everyone made as much fuss of her as they did of us. Room was lovely. Make allowances if ground floor - it is an old building and -do get clunks and knocks in the old pipework and from bathroom above ours which do carryon through the night. We live in a very old house and so understand these things are part of the character - it would be sad to rip out the old radiators!!! Huge delightful bath with shower over. I am a bath person so I was well pleased to relax in this lovely tub!!!! They also have a Bistro for more casual dining but you can dress up for the main dining room and they also have a private dining room for separate parties. Seriously thinking of going back with fellow Directors from work for our Annual dinner away and overnight. Quite sure that we would be well looked after. Must have a good reputation as they have a heli-pad outside for the helicopters arriving with guests for dinner
.Well done Corse Lawn you made our mid-week birthday retreat a real pleasure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank H. K
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We visited during the floods of January 2014. Some guests had cancelled but we had no difficulty in getting there, though on a day out the road to Gloucester was not passable. This is an excellent hotel. From the moment of arrival the place felt warm and welcoming. The room was spacious and spotless. As it happened we were the only people there for two nights and were treated like royalty. Blazing log fire, intimate and cosy lounge, wonderful menu with the food beautifully presented and prepared. The staff were very friendly and cheerful and very ready to help in any way. They loved working there in this family run hotel. Surely that says a lot about it. It was a happy place. We stayed after the busy-ness of Christmas and left feeling refreshed and restored. Don't miss it! We would certainly go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tebrown229
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel with a Groupon Voucher. We were given the Forthampton Room on the 1st floor which provided a lovely view over the pond in the front. We had a four-poster bed and were pleased with the homemade biscuits, lots of tea and coffee with fresh milk in the fridge (not a sachet in sight!). Really enjoyed the 3-course meal and breakfast. An excellent stay in a lovely quiet country hotel and would recommend.

Room Tip: If you have long hair, you may want to take your own hairdryer as the hotels one is no very powerful
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Shurdington
Hatherley Manor
Hatherley Manor
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley

Been to Corse Lawn House Hotel? Share your experiences!