“Very oldy worldy but loved it”

Corse Lawn House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corse Lawn
Reviewed 13 September 2007

I stayed here in April 2005 but felt compelled to write about this hotel as it has some very happy memories associated with it. We were recommended this hotel by my husband’s boss at the time as a romantic getaway which it certainly was! We stayed here for one night in the early stages of our relationship and remember thinking when we got into our room how very old and traditional everything was and I was wondering why I was going out with a guy that had such different taste to me! Turns out he thought the same as me! Sure we poked fun at the oldy worldliness of the room but I learnt to appreciate the décor and in fact it is very suited to the hotel. The fresh milk, the biscuit tin and fruit bowl did it for me, you just don’t get things like that in hotels these days. The room was huge, the bathroom could’ve fitted a double bed within it too I’m sure!

Being in the middle of the no where, we splurged at this hotel, having breakfast in bed and a lovely meal in the restaurant. It was all quite expensive but worth every penny.

I haven’t stayed at the hotel since as it was so expensive but we did go back last year for a meal in the restaurant on Valentine’s day. We left the hotel that night engaged to be married! I’m really looking forward to staying again – it’s one to save for that special occasion!

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2007

Arrived for a one night stay on business. The hotel is in a quiet rural location - very pleasant - but I couldn't get a signal on my mobile which was an unexpected nuisance. In addition they didn't have a note of my booking though fortunately had a spare room - so I ended up with a large bedroom which they kindly charged me only a single room rate for.

I ate in the bistro on the evening - the food was excellent, as was breakfast the next day - good quality products, beautifully prepared and served.

I liked the fact that my room had not just the usual hotel-style tea and coffee facilities - but rather proper tea and coffee (plus cafetiere), home made biscuits amd a bottle of fresh milk in the fridge.

Service was good though I have to say I found the proprietress, Baba Hine, a bit intimidating - I'm sure that wasn't her intention and more regular patrons seemed to get on very well with her !

The decor and furniture was very traditional - good quality and generally in good condition (the soft furnishings in my room all looked quite recent, including chair and sofa upholstery).

I found it difficult to make my mind up about the hotel. It has a lot going for it (eg the garden flower display was beautiful) but somehow it wasn't quite what I had expected and I found it impossible to feel 'at home'. Probably a lot better suited to couples and families than single travellers.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed 17 October 2006

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 September 2006

Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Noel Arms Hotel
Noel Arms Hotel
#3 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Corse Lawn House Hotel? Share your experiences!