“Excellent English Cooking of a High Order”
Review of Corse Lawn House

Corse Lawn House
Reserve with OpenTable
Corse Lawn House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Corse Lawn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We visited Corse Lawn Restaurant for lunch together with some friends, using a special offer deal which made the whole experience outstanding value for money at around less than half price.

The Hotel and Restaurant were very quiet when we visited it being mid week and well out of season. The reception person was very warm and friendly and surprisingly calm given that a hotel guest had left a bath tap running and there was water coming through the ceiling in one of the lounges! One had a sense of impeccable unflappability as the problem was dealt with!

The food was different in the sense that it actually resembled what the menu said it was. Every course of the tasting menu was cooked very well using good quality ingredients and we all agreed at the end that it had been a most enjoyable and pleasant experience and one that we would certainly repeat even being happy to pay the full amount next time.

I would happily recommend Corse Lawn restaurant and I am looking forward to visiting again for dinner one evening soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed at Corse Lawn House Hotel and eat in the bistro for dinner. The decor is tired and dated and the old grandfather clock in the corner stopped at 11 o'clock sums up the restaurant. For all aspects, time stood still at some point in the late 1970s early 1980s here.

Being unsure of the place we eat from the set menu at £15 for two courses. The food was bland and uninspiring and the menu caters for the older clientele. The service was polite, stiff and pretentious, with uniforms harking back to another era. The bread was tasteless and too our bemusement was given its own padded stool to sit on - as if it had joined us for dinner. The bread was also pretty tasteless. The wine list was poor, if you wanted only a glass, and the Grenache we had was of the palette stripping variety that was served far too warm.

The whole dining experience was surreal.

The stay at the hotel is reviewed separately.

3  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The rooms here are larger than most hotels, traditionally furnished and very comfortable. Lovely, super deep, enamel bath for a luxurious soak, great toiletries, fluffy towels and dressing gowns. Proper tea and coffee with fresh fruit and scrumptious home made biscuits are supplied in the room with fresh milk and water in a fridge. All of the staff are welcoming, polite and trained to provide a very high standard of service.
The food is amazing, simply perfect! Breakfast was incredible, fresh croissants a highlight! I loved the afternoon tea, a real treat with beautiful, light scones, lashings of clotted cream and the corse lawn strawberry jam. Dinner was a triumph with a really rich potato gratin served with my salmon main course that was amazing! My husband couldn't find anything to complain about with his meal either and enjoyed every morsel! The grenache noir 2011 went down a bit too well as well!
Being at the corse lawn hotel feels like visiting a very indulgent good friend, you feel well looked after, completely relaxed and totally pampered. I can't wait to book another stay!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Totally unplanned, we stopped at this hotel for lunch - I'd been there before in a wedding party, as it has nice grounds and it’s in a rural setting, but I had never been on my own accord.

We spontaneously decided to eat, and am I glad we did. It was a few weeks ago but I recall it was the 1st day of sunshine this year so everybody else that was present were all still sat indoors & we were the only people outside.

For starters we both had the Wild Garlic & Crouton Soup - Unbelievable, even the croutons were homemade and (I'm not a lover of garlic) but it was handpicked from the woods surrounding the hotel, and you could tell, resulting in a soup I could have bathed in lol.

We both then had the Smoked Salmon. Now the menu doesn't do this (or any) dish justice at all. It failed to mention it was smoked in their own smoker, and probably the best Sweet Salmon you'll ever have. And it didn't even give a nod to the Almond encrusted Potato Rostie that was baked to golden perfection, or what I think was the sculpted or carved Courgette that accompanied it. All this was on a gorgeous bed of Crushed Peas (believe me it makes a difference), with a hint of Mint, and topped with Cucumber spaghetti strands and drizzled in a Beurre Blanc sauce with Chives & Garlic.

Simply worth having.

Now, all this easily wiped out any small gripes or grumbles with anything else, like the dirty fork or the wait for our drinks, so if you're around and it's sunny - go and try it. Not quite Downton Abbey, but a million miles from than ANY oven-pingged pub grub you normally get when out & about these days.

Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Service less than friendly and food very average. Seems the place has rested on its laurels over the years and needs refreshing in my opinion.