“Relaxing break”

Cowley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
“Relaxing break”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We took advantage of the three nights for the price of two, and weren't disappointed.
The hotel has a relaxed atmosphere which suited us, the food was excellent and the grounds lovely to stroll in.
Personally it doesn't bother me having to wait a few minutes for staff to take an order etc, as I prefer to be left to chill ! Only gripe is lack of tea making facilities in the room.
Would definately pay a return visit

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank travelhead-32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Derbyshire
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My wife and I spent two days at the Cowley Manor in October 2010. The grounds were quite spectacular, although for the price we paid, I probably expected so much more.
Our room was in the old stable complex and overlooked a very bland, gravel-filled courtyard. The room was ... ok, but again, for the money, we both expected a much higher standard. The reception area in the main building had quite an intense smell of sooty smoke about it, which maybe for some guests brought back memories of bygone days - I just thought that the chimney could have done with an urgent sweep. Breakfast was good with spectacular views from the dining room. Food at all other times was average for this type of hotel. All in all, a nice couple of days, but not at that price.

Room Tip: The main building might prove to be a better choice when booking a room.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Excellent services in general if you travel on your own or with your partnr. Definitely not a family oriented hotel. Room service staff stretched and overworked were able to provide a fair &timely service. However not 5* Spa filthy. Rip off prices.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank duck2009_11
Nottingham
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We had a fab weekend here back in December. It was all snow and log fires. The room wasn't that amazing for the price really, but the bath was lovely and views pretty. We has massages and facial which were excellent and enjoyed the pool. The grounds are really beautiful and a good chance to walk off dinner. I don't remember the dinner being amazing and bar service was slow but breakfast and Sunday papers in bed was heaven! A bit overpriced I would say, but if we were able to I'd love to go back.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2011

When you drive up to Cowley Manor, you know you're in for a very special treat from the moment the tyres hit the gravel as you stop in the courtyard.
It's a manor in the true sense of the word.
And yet form the moment you enter and feel the weight of history, there is a very modern
twist to the decor. This juxtaposition of old and new is mirrored throughout as the architecture of the building is counterbalanced by discreet and modern decor. Inside, marvelous rooms with splendid views out to the lake, serene as it sits in the middle of rolling fields. A meandering walk outside is very gratifying and relaxing, as you stroll round, followed discreetly by swans, one's gaze is pulled back to the majesty of the building across the lake, all columns and giant windows. The service is impeccable, discreet and yet friendly and the food - well if you like traditional English breakfast in pannelled great room, all wood and history and see this remarkable view, you'd be writing this review!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samaroha
wales
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago. The room was better than the last time and I think of a same cost. We had a private balcony, bath in the room etc. the bar and food were very nice. Only down point was a noticeable difference in the standard of service. We had to chase staff for butter and drinks at breakfast. They were a bit mean with the portions of butter and toast. No tea and coffee in room.
However, the value for money was very good for a mid week stay. We went shopping in Cheltenham which was very nice. Also went to The Champignon Sauvage 2 star Michelin Restaurant, only a 10 min taxi ride away.

Room Tip: We had an excellent room - their category
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sazoscar
UK
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband surprised me with a trip to Cowley Manor for my birthday. Knowing that I love to spa, he selected this after much research, and when I found out where we were heading I was suitably excited. The drive up to the manor was truly stunning and we received a warm welcome from the staff, including a shot of lemonade and a cold towel to refresh us. We were given a brief tour in order to find our bearings, which was appreciated as there are quite a few communal rooms/eating areas, and then shown to our room. We stayed in Room 1, which I think falls under their "better" category. It was absolutely lovely, split over two floors, with a lovely big bath in the bedroom area. The bed was very comfy and the room came with all the trimmings you'd expect-except for an iron but this was delivered to the room on request.

We spent our afternoon in the spa area, which comprises of an outside pool (it's described as heated but it was quite cold), an inside pool, a steam room and a sauna. I am a bit of spa goer, so wasn't really overwhelmed by the faciltiies, but they were perfectly pleasant. My major gripe were the screaming children dive bombing in the pool despite the signs stating not to. My issue wasn't so much with them, but their parents that seemed to think that just because they had to put up with the noise, so did we. And didn't really seem to care that their beloved chiddler was about to smash it's head open on the slate pool floor. The reviews on here state that the place is family friendly and indeed that is true. It's just not child free couple friendly. Despite this, we did manage to enjoy ourselves between the wails and screams. I also had a 90 minute scrub treatment
which was lovely. The therapist explained that they use the local spring to make the "nearly all natural" products, and presented me with a choice of music for the treatment which was a lovely touch. My only issue was having to use the communal shower in the changing room to wash my scrub off, which kind of took the relaxation out of the end of the treatment. Maybe they should invest in a shower for the treatment clients. Or not charge so much.

We had cocktails in the bar before dinner, which were nice, and felt like there was plenty of space available for us to enjoy ourselves alone without feeling on top of other guests. Same for dinner in the restaurant, we were allowed to choose our own table and the staff sensitively placed people around the room so that everyone had their privacy. The meal was gorgeous, I had pigeon starter which was juicy and perfectly portioned, followed by pollock with samphire, and a cheese board for afters. My husband chose the ham hock, his only issue was a lack of pickle/anything sweet to off set the saltiness, followed by the pork belly which he described as perfect and home made ice cream for pudding. The wine list was decent, with a good range of affordable bottles, as well as plenty of unaffordable ones.

We both slept brilliantly, the bed was creaky but so comfy. We chose to have room service for breakfast and were both overwhelmed with our Cowley Breakfasts, all the trimmings and expertly sourced. The black pudding was particularly special.

On check out we were advised that we were welcome to use the spa for the day, so after a really lovely walk of the grounds, we headed back for another attempt at relaxation. The children were mainly out by the outside pool. and the couple that were inside were easier to ignore than the previous day, but still egregious in their yelling, screaming and general desire to ensure that a small siesta was not going to happen.

All in all, I would go back, but having gone on a Monday in the non-school holiday period, I would do so with slight trepidation of having to deal with children. I'm sure all the family people out there are shuddering at this review, but please respect that we don't all choose to have children, and some of us also like to relax.

Room Tip: Look at the last minute deals on the web site, they are very good
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dubtrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!