“Country cool”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Windsor
“Country cool”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

This place re-defines the term country retreat and is a must for anybody with a creative or decorative mind. The first thing that strikes you is the abundance of classic, iconic and challenging furniture and artwork all under one roof.

Both indoors and outdoors (weather permitting) it’s a great place to just wonder around and offers the opportunity for complete relaxation, with attentive and friendly service topped off by quality food and drinks.

Not all of the rooms are in the main building but they are so close, and well contained that this isn’t really an issue. Stable block rooms in particular are split over three floors – small lounge on the bottom, bathroom in the middle, bedroom at the top, negotiating all of the steps can be tricky if you’ve overdone it at the bar or in the gym, but the rooms are well appointed with quality accessories and products.

This is a very easy place to relax and let the hours pass by, I would certainly recommend it for a long weekend.

Room Tip: Forget the upgrades - book treatments instead.
2 Thank roughrob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
St Ives, Cornwall
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed at Cowley after our own season had finished in Cornwall and was absolutley spent. I could hardly put on foot in front of the other. Had possible the best mango smoothie I have ever had after a great welcome... We were out of season so the hotel seemed quiet, but the welcome and staff great. Ended up in the outdoor pool gazing at the stars. The water was boiling and after a DVD which I never saw more than 10 mins due to the comfy bed wiped out.
Great brekkie followed by a spa massage and facial and I was floating all the way home a new man..... enjoy !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stayed a few days ago with my partner for 2 nights. It was just the break we needed. The spa facilities were minimal but everything you needed was there.
The therapists were all very nice and really attentive to your needs (obviously not in the way I've just made it sound!)

We ate in the bar for the first night as we wanted to venture out into cheltenham so didn't want to be too full etc. I had the Steak sandwich and my partner had the wild mushroom risotto. Was just the right amount and my steak was cooked to perfection. Although it was only a sandwich so technically its nothing to rave about, you don't get a lot of places nowadays who'll cook your steak to perfection.
We went out to Cheltenham and decided we wanted to come back for cocktails. The cocktails were just the most delightful end to the first night.

We came down for breakfast around 9:30am the next day and surprisingly it was very busy. There only seemed to be one member of staff on at the front so we went straight for the buffet just so we could give her a bit of time to catch up.

As soon as we'd sat down with our food, she was straight over with a big smile despite the restaurant being swamped and offered us tea and coffee. She apologised for the delay (although there was no delay really) and continued to serve us all morning with a big smile.
The buffet selection was marvellous. Cereals, granola, muesli, fresh fruit and lots of fresh juices, was just amazing. When the hot food came out, my god the portions were huge! We didn't manage to eat it all (and we felt terrible for it as we don't like wasting food) but it was just a bit too much for us to handle. Tasted delicious though.
Once the guests had seemed to stop coming down, the lovely Cristina/kristina (Not sure on the spelling!) made the time and effort to go around and speak to all the guests which was a lovely touch.

We ended up going out again for the second night and again, we came back in the evening for cocktails. All in all, this experience has been a massive thumbs up and we will definitely be returning. And we hope to see all the lovely bar staff and Cristina/kristina again when we revisit.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the gardens. Beautiful views.
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We have visited this hotel many times, and we love it. The staff are great, they like kids and they can swim whenever they want in the fantastic pool. The food has always been great, and they have catered for a big group for dinner with no problems, and a real willingness to help. Great place.

• Stayed May 2011
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I recently stayed at Cowley with my wife for 1 night... I speak for both of us when I say we wish we could have stayed for a week at least! The grounds are amazing, even on a murky overcast day! had a really good look around and then enjoyed some chill out time in the room which was funky and so relaxing, the bathroom was luxurius and massive. Then we had some dinner in the restaurant, the food was brilliant, I wasn't too keen on the amuse bouche which was alittle bland but after that the meal just kept getting better and better! The service was impeccable, couldn't fault it at all. We had a good nights sleep in the comfy bed and then enjoyed an absolutely huge breakfast (the cowley breakfast) again service was great. The place is lovely, the staff are great- special thanks to Kristina (restaurant supervisor) who served us at dinner, her knowledge and hospitality was lovely. Will definately return and recommend the place to anyone! Thank you Cowley Manor.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

I went to the cowley manor for the bank holiday in August 2010 and someone stole my jewelry from my suitcase!!!! the safety box wasn't working so I kept my jewelry in my suitcase, someone (probably from staff) went into the room, opened my suitcase and stole all my jewelry! i only realised when i got back to london, i phoned them they said they were on the case (and that i was not the only person complaining about a theft over that week end!!) and they did NOTHING! their insurance company didnt pay me back despite asking me to get them all the purchase certificates (which i did !!) and the hotel didn't even offer me a week end or anything! so i woulnd't go back at all despite their gardens being stunning! but i'd rather go to a safer place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank zinz83
London
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed for a night in September for a wedding. A lovely setting amongst lakes and rolling fields.

My wife is 8 months pregnant and the staff went out of their way to make everything as comfortable as possible, from the special pillow to the gift pack of Mum to Be bath oils. A great touch that completely makes your stay at a hotel.

We had one of the split level rooms where the bathroom is upstairs on a mezzanine type level, which although unusual, is very nicely done.

My wife had used the spa which was wonderful. My breakfast was first class.

We look forward to returning for a weekend away in the Cotswolds.

Looking at the standard prices, its expensive, but in line with expectations of a 5 star place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!