“A special place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
UK
“A special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

We have a 9 month old son and were delighted to find Cowley Manor extremely child friendly, we stayed in an exceptional room in the stable block (room 8) loved the room which had huge bed, seperate lounge area and mezzanine bathroom. Cowley Manor is a stunning country manor with a uber cool contemporary interior with the most amazing grounds & beautiful lake to wander round. The spa is gorgeous too an indoor and heated outdoor pool (no restrictions on what time you can swim with your children) we both enjoyed the hot stone massage which was wonderful. We really loved it here and a short drive to the pretty villages of the Cotswolds makes this an ideal getaway.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Broadway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

With my wifes maternity leave due to end we decided to have a short break at Cowley. My wife arrived early and spent the Friday in the Spa and I arrived in the evening after dropping the children off at my parents.

We had room No.4 which is in the converted coach house, it is like a mini townhouse on several floors and has been designed to fit within the existing structure. It is a comfortable well appointed room although it is dark and has a limited outlook. We enjoyed staying there although next time I would try out a room in the main house.

The service and straff well ok, although not top notch although I would guess that this reflects the informal nature of the hotel and the family orientation.

The house and grounds are great and there are plenty of places to get away and relax although, I can imagine that during school holidays it is probably full of rampaging kids - which is fine but dont expect to chill out.

The Spa was great as well, but once again - not relaxing if full of children.

Food and service was very good.

Would defininitly go again although I would choose when quire carefully to avoid the school holidays and popular weekends.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the main house will have the best views of the parkland and there are very...
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Exceptional service made our stay. The staff were excellent as was our balcony lake view room. We ate dinner at the restaurant and had very good wine. Our package included dinner and we were free to order whatever we liked only paying for drinks. The grounds are gorgeous helped even more by the lovely Autumn colours.
The spa was great, very clean and the outdoor heated pool was lovely. I just wish they had a hot tub or jacuzzi. That really would.be my only negative point but its a v picky point to make.
We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2011
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We were feeling a little bit jaded and in need of some absolute chill time in cool surroundings with character and Cowley turned out to be just the ticket..

The Positives:

Hospitality was attentive, descreet and unpretentious (ie: perfect)
The room (open plan room was ultimately chosen over one of the 3 story in stables) was great, bath with a veiw plus wonderful walk in wet room etc, mini bar suitably equipped..

The Spa, the treatments, the gym, both pools, snacks, all fantastic, couldn't fault anything vs. "Small boutique hotels of the world" comparision.. the "relaxing facilities" in a nutshell are right up there with the best, globally (imvho)..

The food & drink was amazing and easily comparible with the UK's best restaurants, the quality of the (locally sourced) ingredients really shone through, I couldn't fault anything including breakfast ..my only niggle, the wine list was extensive but light on new world and too much old fashioned french for my taste, At between £22 & £80 p/b I'd say the wine's were fairly priced for what was on offer.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having a few really specific things i use to mentally benchmark a hotel against my favorite places and for me this is how Cowley stacked up on my checklist vs. other 4-5 star boutique hotels..

* Mojito - Wowsers!!..fantastic, seriously a big 10/10 on this 'easy to make badly' drink..
* Bread - organic dense soda bread, perfect..
* fries - triple fried, I know.. eating fries at a spa is so wrong but these blew me away, 11/10..!
* Manhattan (sweet) - 11/10.. Litterally the best I've ever had, and I've had a few.. ;0)
* speed of (evening meal) service, perfectly paced & served with care, 10/10..

The Cons:

We moved rooms as the 3 story room in stable was tired but I noted that room next door was being redecorated during our stay so assume by time this is posted this will be the case with all 3 story rooms? very happy with other room in stable block.

That's it.. I cannot tell you how much we needed a short break and how refreshed we felt after just 1 day & night staying here, yes there are expectant parents staying and also (shock horror!!) Children visible in the daytime!! For me that just underpinned the warm, friendly, unpretentious and relaxed feel of this place and added to the cosy vibe, we loved it - thankyou Cowley!!

1 Thank hugwort
Windsor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

This place re-defines the term country retreat and is a must for anybody with a creative or decorative mind. The first thing that strikes you is the abundance of classic, iconic and challenging furniture and artwork all under one roof.

Both indoors and outdoors (weather permitting) it’s a great place to just wonder around and offers the opportunity for complete relaxation, with attentive and friendly service topped off by quality food and drinks.

Not all of the rooms are in the main building but they are so close, and well contained that this isn’t really an issue. Stable block rooms in particular are split over three floors – small lounge on the bottom, bathroom in the middle, bedroom at the top, negotiating all of the steps can be tricky if you’ve overdone it at the bar or in the gym, but the rooms are well appointed with quality accessories and products.

This is a very easy place to relax and let the hours pass by, I would certainly recommend it for a long weekend.

Room Tip: Forget the upgrades - book treatments instead.
2 Thank roughrob
St Ives, Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed at Cowley after our own season had finished in Cornwall and was absolutley spent. I could hardly put on foot in front of the other. Had possible the best mango smoothie I have ever had after a great welcome... We were out of season so the hotel seemed quiet, but the welcome and staff great. Ended up in the outdoor pool gazing at the stars. The water was boiling and after a DVD which I never saw more than 10 mins due to the comfy bed wiped out.
Great brekkie followed by a spa massage and facial and I was floating all the way home a new man..... enjoy !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stayed a few days ago with my partner for 2 nights. It was just the break we needed. The spa facilities were minimal but everything you needed was there.
The therapists were all very nice and really attentive to your needs (obviously not in the way I've just made it sound!)

We ate in the bar for the first night as we wanted to venture out into cheltenham so didn't want to be too full etc. I had the Steak sandwich and my partner had the wild mushroom risotto. Was just the right amount and my steak was cooked to perfection. Although it was only a sandwich so technically its nothing to rave about, you don't get a lot of places nowadays who'll cook your steak to perfection.
We went out to Cheltenham and decided we wanted to come back for cocktails. The cocktails were just the most delightful end to the first night.

We came down for breakfast around 9:30am the next day and surprisingly it was very busy. There only seemed to be one member of staff on at the front so we went straight for the buffet just so we could give her a bit of time to catch up.

As soon as we'd sat down with our food, she was straight over with a big smile despite the restaurant being swamped and offered us tea and coffee. She apologised for the delay (although there was no delay really) and continued to serve us all morning with a big smile.
The buffet selection was marvellous. Cereals, granola, muesli, fresh fruit and lots of fresh juices, was just amazing. When the hot food came out, my god the portions were huge! We didn't manage to eat it all (and we felt terrible for it as we don't like wasting food) but it was just a bit too much for us to handle. Tasted delicious though.
Once the guests had seemed to stop coming down, the lovely Cristina/kristina (Not sure on the spelling!) made the time and effort to go around and speak to all the guests which was a lovely touch.

We ended up going out again for the second night and again, we came back in the evening for cocktails. All in all, this experience has been a massive thumbs up and we will definitely be returning. And we hope to see all the lovely bar staff and Cristina/kristina again when we revisit.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the gardens. Beautiful views.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#5 of 6 in Broadway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,169 reviews

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!