“Lovely Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Lovely Getaway”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Cowley Manor and had a relaxing and wonderful stay. This was the perfect place for an autumn escape to the country. We loved the old world charm of the exterior combined with the modern chic design of the interior. The grounds are breathtaking and I took the opportunity to explore them on two different occasions - really beautiful and serene.

Our room was one of the "Good" rooms and was tucked away on the side of the manor. Upon our booking I had been disappointed we couldn't afford to splash out on a room with a balcony but in the end our room was all we needed! The room was attractive with it's bright colors and modern decor. Everything was clean and appeared fresh. The bathroom was large with an amazing shower (great water pressure!). And being on the 2nd floor, the windows gave us a view over the treetops to the countryside.

The spa! We loved the spa and the ladies who took care of us! They were very attentive and kind and quick to make sure we had what we needed and were getting what we wanted. We enjoyed many different treatments during our stay that were all wonderfully done. We were helped by 3 different ladies, all of whom we would recommend. Unfortunately we can only remember the name of the one who was consistently with one of us for all our treatments - Lizzie. She's incredibly professional and caring.

The accomodations, the grounds, the spa...all lovely and worth going back for. This leaves only the dining. Unfortunately it was the one area in which we left discouraged. We had breakfast there all three mornings and we dined in the restaurant 2 of the 3 evenings we were there. We cancelled our 3rd evenings reservations due to the previous two nights experience and chose to eat in the bar instead only to be undewhelmed ther. The ambience and the food were excellent. It was the service that disappointed us. We were always greeted warmly and shown our table promptely (breakfast and dinner) but then it seemed as if we became insivisible. It was discouraging to watch as other tables were waited on more promptly and with more warmth than us and to see others who came after us leave before us. With all the extra time waiting between courses and trying to catch someones attention we began to imagine all the ways our fellow diners could be VIPs or of more importance than us.

During my last spa treatment our experiences in the restaurant came up in conversation and the woman helping me that day was outraged and said I should complain. I hesitated at the idea and she said she was going to do so for me, which she did. That was very kind of her to look out for us and I thought maybe the Manor staff would then make a point of apologizing to us or perhaps treat us to a bottle of wine or something. As I said, we then chose to have our 3rd nights dinner in the bar (more accurately the lounge area just off the bar). Unfortunately we were met with the same inattention there. And never any acknowledgement from the Manor/restaurant staff as to our less than stellar dining service.

One last thing...the website (and other reviews) talk about a walk that can be taken through the countryside beyond the property. I eagerly sought information on that and was given written directions to follow. It was obvious by just reading them before setting out that they lacked enough specifics and I risked getting lost. The girls at the desk had never actually taken the walk so couldn't help me with specifics. I set out anyway - with my trusty iPhone and its map feature - which I ended up relying on heavily. The walk/hike was beautiful although I'm almost certain there were times I ended up on private property.

I would just recommend to the staff that someone actually take the walk and write more specific directions.

Overall, we really did have a lovely time. Incredibly relaxing and peaceful amidst much beauty.

1 Thank sophi8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I recently spent 2 nights at Cowley Manor with my husband and our Great Dane, Stanley.

There are 2 dog rooms available to book at Cowley. We were made to feel most welcome with our dog.

The rooms were comfortable and spacious and decorated with a retro feel. I felt they offered good value for money especially compared to new up and coming hotels, which while maybe slightly more stylish are extremely pricey.

We both had 2 treatments on 2 days at Cowley. I had the Cloud massage with a female therapist on the Friday and a sports massage with the male therapist on the Satruday. Both were great but the male therapist was truly exceptional. I'd urge you to request him.

The food in the restaurant was lovely both for breakfast and dinner.

The grounds are beautiful and staff are most welcoming and friendly. There is no air of snobbiness at this hotel yet everyone is very professional and there are a good mixture of guests.

I'd recommend it to anyone if you are looking for a getaway.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We have stayed a number of times with and without our kids and will return but feel the hotel is overdue some refurbishment. The staff are friendly but make lots of mistakes and the menu hardly changes. The spa is very mediocre although the pool is great. Cowley needs to pull it's socks up if it wants to compete with the likes of Babington House and Limewood.

1 Thank Fussfield
London
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We spent a night at Cowley Manor in half term.

Best bits were :
- excellent attentive service
- kids menu and meal times with proper hand made chicken nuggets
- great spa
- good layout of hotel made it very sociable
- fab decor
- rack of hunter wellies that you could take for a walk around extensive grounds

Reviewed 18 October 2011

After just spending a night at Cowley Manor I felt obliged to write a review, more so on the spa than the hotel.
On arrival of the spa the outside looked more like a bunker than "England's best spa". We checked in at reception letting them know we were there, then asked if my boyfriend when having a couples treatment would like a male or female maseuse, he went for female, which was total ignored when we did finally get into the room. This is definitly not somewhere to relax, after checking in we were left to just sit in the cold dinning area, then called through without consultation of what we would like or what oils will be used, something that most spas would do. The treatment room again was freezing and not properly cleaned from previous guest as I found bikini bottoms in the shower. The treatment was ok however with my boyfriend not getting the masseuse he ask for made his massage anything but relaxing. Again with no consultation after the treatment we were left to gather our clothes and head to the changing rooms. We then had some food and a swim, neither exceptional due to the whole place being freezing and coming across people complaining. The thing that finished it off for me was when asking for slippers ( which I thought was standard in spas ) got told they only had flip flops, I said ok yet after 15 mins gave up as the lady that went to go get them was just sat behind reception, Im not too sure if they had run out or she just forgot!!
This place is more like a rush in, rush out spa, not somewhere I would pay again to "relax".

ross on wye england
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We have visited Cowley Manor many times, it is our 'bolt hole' from our lovely family. One of the reasons we keep coming back is that it is reasonably close to where we live so we don't waste hours of our precious time off getting to our destination, but the other reasons are that we consistently get what we are looking for in a luxury hotel break.
We have been staying at CM since it opened, and it has changed a bit over the years. The staff wear more formal clothes these days - personally I preferred the old uniforms- but it doesn't really matter, they are all very pleasant and helpful anyway ( with the exception of one rather scary waitress! ) The rooms are lovely, we prefer the ones in the main hotel but each has it's charm. We held a family event at CM last December and booked 5 rooms, the staff went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful time, and our whole party was delighted with their stay. The food is good- not spectacular, but very edible, and quite reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel. I can recommend lunch at Cowley very highly as it takes a lot of beating especially if you take it on the terrace over-looking the gardens.
The grounds are magnificent, and the Spa is literally second to none- it just won Best UK hotel spa in Conde Nast mag. The indoor pool is the best I have swum in in a hotel in the UK. I think Cowley Manor's combination of easy going, relaxed, family-friendly luxury is very hard to beat, and if you go mid-week there is usually a deal to be done on the room price.
I don't hesitate to recommend it to my friends, family and to all of you too.

Room Tip: Rooms 18 and 19 have balconies and the most incredible views over the lake
UK
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We have a 9 month old son and were delighted to find Cowley Manor extremely child friendly, we stayed in an exceptional room in the stable block (room 8) loved the room which had huge bed, seperate lounge area and mezzanine bathroom. Cowley Manor is a stunning country manor with a uber cool contemporary interior with the most amazing grounds & beautiful lake to wander round. The spa is gorgeous too an indoor and heated outdoor pool (no restrictions on what time you can swim with your children) we both enjoyed the hot stone massage which was wonderful. We really loved it here and a short drive to the pretty villages of the Cotswolds makes this an ideal getaway.

• Stayed September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!