“One of the best, go for it!”
Review of Cowley Manor

Cowley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Reviewed 18 December 2011

One of the best hotels I've stayed in anywhere!
We had a great room, very comfortable, great fusion of old and modern.
Great food, lovely ambiance.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommended.

Room Tip: All I can say is a 'great ' room is great!
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theporsche911

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I wanted a glamorous evening with a friend as a break from children and domestic drudgery and I've always fancied this hotel so booked at the last minute and got a room rate of £285 B&B on a 'better' standard room.

First impressions were good, a smiley receptionist took me to my room, which was in the stable block. As someone else has mentioned, the layout of these rooms is odd: the door opens onto a narrow living room, behind which are stairs to the 1st floor bathroom. The shower and loo are behind 2 separate doors but the whole bathroom is open plan so you can hear someone speaking from the bedroom on the mezzanine floor above. The shower room floor is made of wood and I'd have much preferred tiles from a cleanliness point of view, wood just can't have been cleaned in the same way.

The thing I most disliked though was a note next to the toiletries which said "If you would like to purchase Green and Spring products please visit The Village Shop, C Side or ask at reception. Bottles taken from your room will be added to your bill after departure." The bottles were normal shampoo bottle sized. And plastic. And not discernibly containing gold or anything.

Now, One Aldwych doesn't do this, neither does The Haymarket Hotel or Hotel Tresanton, to mention just a few decent hotels with similar room rates. They factor it in to their prices and their toiletries, while in smaller bottles, are absolutely for you to use and take home with you. It's just penny pinching and mean as a policy and made me want to tip it all down the sink in a fit of pique (I didn't though).

Anyway, that aside, the room was ok given that I was staying on my own although the wi-fi didn't work at all while I was there. When I asked they said the router had just been re set (this was Saturday night) but it still didn't work on Sunday morning so I gave up in the end.

There are good things about the hotel: the bar is glamorous and our Cosmopolitans were good. But the service was slack and we had to ask for another drink because nobody noticed we'd finished, even though it was early and they weren't busy. And our dinner in the restaurant was lovely with nice service from a sweet smiley waitress although we were surrounded by couples because it's that kind of place.

The setting and building are stunning too but you really do pay a Cotswold premium for it: the final bill, for 1 night B&B in a 'better' room - which is one up from standard in Cowley Manor speak - dinner for 2 of us (friend joined me for dinner but didn't stay), two bottles of £26 a bottle wine, 4 Cosmopolitans (£10 each drink), and a few coffees and soft drinks was £490. That was without using the mini bar or spa and although we had a lovely time that's a lot of money for a slightly gloomy room, a stern note about toiletries and mostly average service.

And because of this I won't bother going back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank wickedwaterwitch
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed at Cowley many times when we used to live in the Cotswolds...and where huge fans of the chic rooms, amazing spa, the purple pool table, the huge swing in the garden and the amazing spa..

We thought after three years we would rekindle some great memories and return. Their Website is and will remain one of my favorites..but what had they done to the rooms?? although they had changed the decor this did not put us off returning and we duly booked one of the courtyard rooms.

As before the wellies were still at the front door and the welcome was wonderful. We did'nt go to our room immediately but chilled in the bar sipping a well deserved martini.Perfect! Nothing had changed, the staff were chilled and at ease and my favorite board game was still on the shelf in the lounge (like it had never been moved)..

When we eventually went to our room, was we in for a shock..Where was the contemporary design, the simple colours , the wonderful furniture. Gone! instead somebody has been let lose with a paint brush and some of the most lurid paint I have ever seen. None of the colours matched and throws and curtains just added insult to the beautiful furniture. I'm no interior designer but these boys must of been colour blind. A plus point was the bathroom was still wonderful and memories of talking from the bath to downstairs was rekindled.

I could write for hours on the Spa although three words sum it up. Sumptous, Wonderful, Chilled. Need I say more!! If we lived nearer I would be in there everyday

Overall a good weekend. Chilled service, Wow food and our batteries recharged..shame about the room..if they are to refurb perhaps somebody needs to press the rewind button. Still debating if we will return. Perhaps!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank LBarrett-Scott
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The SPA is very good: I enjoyed the treatments and the open air pool is something special.
Hotels grounds are magical, and the service was excellent.
I did not like the rooms. I've stayed in a so called great room, and the decor was dated and...well lets just say its not my taste. The layout is just ridiculous: narrow living room on the ground floor, bath, toilets and main light switches are on the 1st, and the bed is on the second floor. I appreciate that its an old existing building, but the architects and interior designers should have given it a bit more thought.
The restaurant is expensive and the food is just ok. Ask for the "all day menu" which is better priced.
Wifi reception in my room was inconsistent.There was no mobile phone reception and the landline was 3 times more expensive then what I pay at home.
All in all I have enjoyed my time at Cowley, but at these prices they should seriously consider renovating and improving the place.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AntonLF
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My Partner & I took two nights at Cowley MAnor Hotel. we're no strangers to hotels or quality service.

We were greeted with a welcome that relaxed us from the minute we walked through the main door and found the cheerful, confident atmosphere was kept right up to the moment we left.

Our room was spacious with a beautiful view overlooking the lovely small lake and panoramic tree lined hills which we explored with enthusiasm and our hopes of a peaceful and interesting walk were met with ease.

Room service was rapid and courtious with a smile.

The choice and quality of the food at any time was memorable for all the right reasons, we were offered a wide spread of times for meals which meant whatever our schedule, the meals slotted in nicely.

Attention to detail is obviously a priority to the staff as nothing seemed left to chance.

To summarise : Comfort, quality, space, elegance, peace & quiet. Even the price met with our approval and I guarantee another visit by us in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view will always be preferable and certainly room 24 has all you could need.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Thanks to our friends who can't seem to stay away, me and my wife were optimistic and excited to to find what wonders awaited us at Cowley Manor, following our long journey from Nottingham. We were attending a birthday celebration hosted at the hotel for one of our afore mentioned friends, and made sure we arrived in plenty of time to soak up everything Cowley had to offer before every one else arrived.

Upon arrival we weren't dissapointed, the grounds were beautiful and the reception was welcoming. We settled in by enjoying lunch at the hotel before exploring the local area. There Menu was home to an ample selection, and we left the dining area pleased with our choices.

The party was held in an elegant function room, in which the atmosphere was busy and jovial. As we anticipated after our lunch, the food was fantastic and I struggled not to get carried away with the superb wine that was on offer.

What really made our trip worth while though, was the excellent service we received from the staff at Cowley Manor. We were made to feel welcome all day, but the service at the party was absolutely second to none. The staff were efficient, friendly, and didn't leave us wanting for anything the whole night, meaning we could enjoy our company and surroundings all the more. Unfortunately I can only remeber one name, Christina who's smile and personality were infectious, but a big well done to all the staff involved.

If you are looking for a short break or somewhere to celebrate then I would definitely recommend Cowley Manor.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Returned to Cowley with our 2 year old for 1 night mid week and had a great time. Benefited from an off peak rate but still had a lovely room ( same one we stayed in before). Staff were great but waiting staff in restaurant could have known what they were serving. We guessed at the cheese but would have been nice to have been told.

• Stayed: November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#5 of 6 in Broadway
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!