“Absolute bliss!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Wales
“Absolute bliss!”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Unlike the previous reviewers experiences, the place was almost child free for our visit this week. There were a few small children there, and they were loud, but it was relatively child free and full of couples (relived, as it's clearly a couples place and I could not understand why families with small kids would be there).
From the moment we arrived it was absolutely wonderful. Quite low key and relaxed but so chic and delightfully designed just as seen on the web site. It was our anniversary and we were really looked after. We had an exquisite room with balcony. The views were amazing. The rooms for relaxing were so well designed and contemporary. We found that the day menu was very reasonably priced and so varied.
Walking through the grounds is a must do. You can spend hours exploring the landscape and waterways. We brought a picnic to enjoy. The spa was quiet and peaceful. Just a couple of adults there each time, but it was mid week. We swam outdoors which was a real treat. Such a beautiful addition to the place. The spa building will blow you away.
Our evening meal was amazing. One of the best we've had in a hotel. And the dining room setting is so elegant. Breakfast was just as delightful.
I've stayed in many of the best hotels in the world and for me this was up there with the best. Especially in the UK. The staff were all v good too. Chic and relaxing were the order of the day.

I would be put off if the weekends were different here and full of kids, so I'm hoping that's a one off as midweek it was quiet and perfect and we've returned feeling so relaxed. I can't wait to go again.
The only improvements I can think of are - tea making in the rooms is essential for me and there was none. - based on the other reviewers experiences, I'd prefer this to be an adults only retreat so I can be confident to book a weekend next time.
Thanks to all the team at cowley - we will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisegirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I think i must have been there the same weekend as the reviewer below! Kids everywhere, running round, screaming, in their PJs in the bar at night!! Really spoilt it for us. Such a shame!! Beautiful place though i do disagree with below in that I had a great massage but again spa facilities were ruined by children bombing in and out of the sauna and steam room!! If it hadn't been for the kids I would have rated it 5 but as they have no polices against discouraging child takeover and no rules to enforce any areas that are out of bounds at any time for children I'd be nervous to recommend this place unless you are particularly ok with having children on a couples retreat weekend! Though perhaps what is even sadder is the lack of control of the children shown by the parents who allowed their kids to spoil it for the rest of us!

Room Tip: We stayed in the stable block and the rooms were very stylish and unique.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reccy_10
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Children overwhelm this weekend retreat. One pool for all guests means adults looking for a quiet relaxation do not stand a chance. Difficult to understand how this spa is award winning. This was my second visit and things have not gotten any better. Spa staff are very nice but in desperate need of training. Both the massage and the pedicure were truly terrible. Good food/menu. Movie selection superb but in need of an update ...2011/12 films are needed. This is no Babbington House.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 10mungbean
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

...go here! We were lucky enough to travel here on a sunny bank holiday so we could enjoy the stunning grounds and pool area. This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in. We had a room in the stable block, which had 3 floors (not sure if they all do?) and everything you could want and more. But the grounds, pool and spa are what I found incredible. The gardens are like something out of a Jane Austen novel, the outdoor pool and spa however is very modern but equally special. We sat drinking Pimms by the pool and felt as though we were in San Tropez! My boyfriend paid for me to get a full body massage, but I don't think he was expecting it to be a hunky young man called Xavier??

Room Tip: Stable block does not have views but we were not disappointed. It's something a little bit diffe...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Along with my sister I spent months planning a surprise for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary in which we arrived at Cowley Manor by helicopter for Sunday lunch on the terrace. I can't rate the staff highly enough; they were quick to respond to emails, advised on the best way of scheduling everything and arranged lots of little details (such as being met with champagne),exactly as I'd asked. They were attentive, appeared to be almost as excited as we were and made sure the whole experience ran like clockwork. In addition the waiting staff were fantastic, the service impeccable and the food and wine delicious. My parents were completely overwhelmed. I'll definitely be going back and would highly recommend a visit to this fabulous venue.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay at Cowley after reading some great reviews. The concept is great: old Englisg manor house with modern interior. The staff are simpy superb. Very friendly and helpful. I read a lot beforehand about the noise in the hotel. This is a legitimate concern. It is a converted manor house so not acoustically the best. We stayed on the first level above reception and there is a lot of evening noise from reception. I'm not sure what you can do about this except take ear plugs with you. The rooms are also getting slightly dated. The owners will need will need to dig deep to keep up standards and do an upgrade in a year or two. The furniture in the rooms is getting scratched and the concept of the bathrooms (this semi rustic nordic scene) is nice but it is getting old. The grounds, however, are amazing. If you want a piece of Cotswold countryside, you can't do better. The spa is also lovely but thrnot up to the level of what you would normally experience jn a top Asian or Australian spa resort. Overall, a great place.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Go to Cowley Manor for long weekend every year. Just a great place to relax with staff there when you need them rather than fawning over you, food is good and honest with a great fry up at breakfast.
Great deals outside the fri / sat.

Room Tip: The basic rooms are great in themselves
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sion35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#5 of 6 in Broadway
Barnsley House
Barnsley House
#1 of 1 in Barnsley

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!