“Wonderful”

Cowley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at Cowley Manor in January 2014 with my Husband for three nights; the hotel was superb. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful stay. We ate at the hotel one evening and were not disappointed, the food was lovely. Breakfast is very good with a great choice from the menu.

What I rate most about Cowley is it's peace and quiet, admittedly we stayed here midweek so there were few children and the hotel did not appear particularly busy - however given the limited rooms, I cannot see this hotel ever being particularly noisy or crowded.

The spa was a real treat with it's outdoor poor; swimming under the stars outiside in the rain was simply perfect and very relaxing after a day of walking in the Cotswolds. This place is great for a short relaxing break and is the best hotel we have stayed at in the Cotswolds and one of the best we have stayed at in the UK. Would highly recommend to anybody, especially those keen in using the spa and pool facilities. There are lots of highly rated hotels in the Cotswolds but Cowley Manor is just one step ahead in service and class.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
London
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at Cowley Manor for 3 nights in February half term. The hotel is in beautiful grounds with lovely views across a small lake which runs down to a lower pond. We stayed in room 19 (first floor main building) and it was a lovely bright room with a large balcony overlooking the lake. It would be perfect in the summer. The bathroom and shower were large and the room had 2 chairs and a table as well as a dressing table and plenty of storage, mini bar and safe. The kids stayed in room 20 opposite (room 19 and 20 are in there own corridor) and this was smaller with a view of the car park but with a splendid art deco bathroom (bright green) with huge bath and amazing round shower. The only fault I can find with room 19 is the fact that the footstep noise from the room above is loud. I think this is due to the age of the building - the floors creak - and we only noticed it in the evening once we went to bed - luckily you cannot here any voices, only the creaking floor. The spa/pool is excellent. We swam in the outdoor and indoor pools which are both heated perfectly. It is lovely to swim outdoors in winter with the steam whirling around you! The pools are large and there was always a lounger free. The steam rom was excellent too. I had a facial - very good- and my husband had a massage which he enjoyed too. In the summer the pool are would be a fantastic sun trap and they appear to have a poolside service available in the summer months. We ate in the bar area twice - both excellent meals and delicious cocktails. There is a wide range of food options in the bar/lounge area and the staff are good. We ate in the restaurant once (the formal wood panelled room where breakfast is served) and this was ok - not amazing but not bad either. I might stick to the bar menu in future. The breakfast was very good - both the buffet options and the hot food to order. The usual things are available and the cooked breakfast came quickly and was hot and high quality. I really like the modern style furnishings and bright colours used and the lounge seating is spacious and comfortable. The seating in the bar area is low! Maybe a bit too low! The lighting is also very moody and low in there too (and in fact in the rooms as well - no overhead lighting in our rooms). These would be my only gripes. Other reviewers have mentioned the number of kids running around the hotel - we were there at half term and it was mostly families with kids - aged from babies to teenagers and they were all perfectly well behaved. I think this may be a luck of the draw thing but we did not have any issues with screaming brats (we had two twelve year old girls with us). This is a lovely hotel for a break with excellent pool facilities in lovely surroundings with friendly staff - I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in main building room 19 - great room. I did not see the barn rooms closer to the pool are...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OJ
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Recently married, my Wife and I decided to go skiing for our honeymoon. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) our hotel burned down! So we had a few short days to find an alternative and decided to stay in the UK. We found Cowley Manor through Mr & Mrs Smith and decided to book for 5 nights.

So we packed up the car, dog and all, and headed for the Cotswold's. From the moment we arrived we felt at home. We were upgraded free of charge and given a lovely gift of Green and Spring products, which is made by the company which own the hotel. Along with a nicely chilled bottle of Prosseco. Just what we needed after a long drive.

We stayed in the Stable block which is separate to the main building, as dogs are allowed. The room was great and had everything we needed. The bathroom is on a mezzanine level above the bed which works surprisingly well. The shower is by far the best I've had in a hotel. There is also a lovely sun room spanning the width of the entire room. Admittedly there wasn't much sun during our stay but it's a fantastic space. There are also some very nice touches like complimentary magazines for him & her, a free and easy to use safe. A Bose speaker system with free iPod, a host of DVD's, complmentary Green & Spring products and a lot more.

The main hotel is beautiful. The contrast of old and new is balanced perfectly. The character of the old house is still there and the modern twist enhances it rather than detracting from it which so often happens. The food, where do i start! It's without doubt the best I've ever had anywhere. Whether it's mac and cheese in the bar or the 5 course Valentine's night dinner, you are treated to a culinary delight! I actually read another review on TA saying it wasn't anything special, couldn't be further from the truth. I, like most people, love my food and we didn't have a single bad meal. I could dedicate an entire review on the food alone and not say a single bad thing. We took the opportunity to visit friends in Frome while we were staying here and they are members of Babbington House. We had lunch there and it was nowhere near the standard of Cowley Manor's.

We also took full advantage of the spa, would have been rude not to really! Again, first class. The only thing missing is a jacuzzi.

Only two things could have made our stay a little bit better. Firstly dogs aren't permitted in the main building. We were allowed to bring her into a private room but you feel cut-off from everything else. A lounge area where dogs are welcome would have been great. The other is wifi in the Stable block. We had no phone signal or wifi in our room but then it does motivate you to go to the main hotel and enjoy the wonderful views out to the gardens so maybe it's intentional!

We had a memorable time in Cowley. The grounds are amazing and the dog never tired of running around them! The staff are great, especially Matara who made us feel so welcome. We are already planning a weekend in the summer. The owners also have a hotel in Amsterdam, in the beautiful Jordaan which we plan on staying in as we visit The Hague a couple of times a year to see friends.

In summary we had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stay here. The cocktails were none too shabby either.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Shanghai
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It was recommended to us by our sister in law who is in general really into artsy, designer boutique hotels. The Cowley Manor is the popular getaway for the hip Londoners, we were told. And we could see why. The overall design was quirky with lots of fun art objects dotted around, the whole property was set in a beautiful estate with lush green foliage, lotus ponds with swans swimming leisurely around. We had a picnic which was carefully packed and organised with glasses, silver and napkins etc.. Also a fridge locked up under the big tree...quite cute.

But the first room they put us in was right above the back of the kitchen where they stored the large dumpsters. At evening closing, the wait staff would be dumping all the empty bottles etc into the dumpster making lots of noise and we could also hear the chatter of the kitchen staff that went on all night till they finished the shift. Our room was subsequently changed. All the rooms were artfully decorated with some innovative features. If you are into really quirky design-y type of modern luxury then you would definitely find appeal in the room interior.

We also dined in in the restaurant one night. The food was beautifully presented and tasted great. The service was reasonable.

Overall the experience was good and I'd recommend it for any urban young couples who are into modern designer boutique hotels.

Room Tip: Choose your room wisely. Check out the rooms before you accept them.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MillyBShanghai
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was lucky enough to receive a voucher for the day spa at Cowley Manor. The facilities and service was great, I had an amazing body massage and the lunch was excellent. I would have awarded the spa five stars but I was so disappointed to find that children are allowed in to the swimming pool between 9am and 5pm. I was relaxing on the loungers by the pool after my massage and swim and was constantly disturbed by toddlers screaming and splashing in the pool. While I was having lunch there were two little girls, one was crying as her ice cream had melted, so a disturbed lunch.

I have nothing against children but £125 spa day is all about relaxing, peace, time to myself away from the stresses of my daily life. I didn't feel that I got this and will not return, even though everything else was perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Petra W
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I ve stayed at Cowley lots of times, with my girlfriends recently and also with my husband and its a great experience with both. I have to strongly disagree with a previous reviewer about the criticism of the evening food. Im not easy to please and the food was some of the best food I ve ever tasted. The service was friendly and presentation was creative and beautiful. All the staff were brilliant and made us feel very welcome.
We ll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elaine C
Whitton
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was bought a trip to the hotel for Xmas, we really enjoyed our stay.
We used the willies available (which were a must in Jan) to have a walk around the grounds and local village.
The staff were lovely and very accommodating, we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.
We were however quite disappointed with the evening food, we dinned in the restaurant the first evening, and considering the food isn't cheap we were quite disappointed, we were given some gorgeous mini fishcakes when we sat down, I thought we were in for a proper treat, however the rest wasn't so good.
We didn't dine in the restaurant for the other 2 nights.

Room was lovely and comfortable, the bathroom was lovely, the bath was huge !
The spa area was nice and the treatments were lovely, would have been nice to have a Jacuzzi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouLouWhitton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#5 of 6 in Broadway
Barnsley House
Barnsley House
#1 of 1 in Barnsley

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!