“Day visit to the Spa”
Review of Cowley Manor

Cowley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We luckily choose a really hot summer's day and we had a fantastic time.

The only thing that disappoints was the food. Totally unimaginative - the caesur salad was just salad leaves covered in mayonnaise. So much so the lettuce was wilting. When I showed the staff - they said it was meant to be like that!!! Heaven knows what the rest of the food is like.
Not impressed at all and not 5 star. More like little chef experience.

Back to the spa. Really friendly happy staff and it was a very enjoyable day.

Room Tip: Didn't stay - n/a
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Cowley Manor

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed here about 4 or 5 times, and we love it. The house is beautiful, the gardens great for walking through, and the food delicious. The staff do change from year to year, but we have found them all to be helpful and friendly.
I haven't used the spa, but the swimming pool is just heaven.
Don't change Cowley Manor. We love you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I've delayed writing this as I thought I was just being stingy

But having stayed in a couple of other hotels recently I still think this hotel is very poor value.

We paid £350 per room for one night in march. The room was shabby, boutique yes but very much in need of a lick of paint, the waiters and staff were so new to the job we had to help them out, the whole place smelt of drains and the spa was very second rate. The food was ok to good.

The pool however was fantastic.

And of course the setting and view are idyllic - I can't help but think it's that alone that is keeping the price so high.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank ladyfromwestlondon
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Cowley Manor is THE perfect place to stay. My 'girl' friends and i find it the loveliest place to spend a couple of days away for total relaxation and enjoyment. We adore the idyllic setting, the yummy food, the friendly helpful staff, and the overall Cowley experience - which is second to none. We always stay in 'Great Room', number 31, which is very spacious and has views to 3 sides of the house. The breakfast buffet has been relocated (since our last visit) from the dining room into the adjoining room - and this works very well indeed. There is an excellent array of delicious items which are the perfect adjunct to the wonderful Cowley hot breakfast dishes. As a Full English aficionado, I can state with confidence that Cowley's version is sublime. We enjoyed all of our meals very much - and I even tried pigeon breast (rather tentatively) and found it to be delicious! We were again blessed with scorching weather, and spent time relaxing at the pool and wandering around the grounds - and eating! It's so lovely to be able to eat on the terrace with the beautiful vista stretching out before you. Heaven! There was a last-day sale in the on-site shop,(it's being re-furbished) and I bought a funky birchwood Christmas tree and my friend bought reindeers - not something we expected to be doing on the hottest day of the summer! I can't wait for my next visit. LOVE IT!

Room Tip: A friend stayed in (Good) Room 28, which had some noise from the car park and the entrance at the fr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I love Cowley. This was our second visit and we returned because we love the setting, the design of the common areas (and the bedrooms) and, most of all, the well-equipped gym and wellness area. The way it snugs into the manor house grounds is perfect - the two pools, one inside, one open air, are also great. Breakfast quality has gone up since last year, that's a plus as well.

The lovely park is worth exploring, and there are loads of excellent restaurants within less than 20 minutes drive. We didn't try Cowley's own restaurant this year, but last year we were rather disappointed by the quality and taste of the meals there.

All in all, I would always come back.

Room Tip: Be aware that in summer the rooms can get fairly hot, in particular the beautiful rooms in the main...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ralf H
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My breakfast black pudding was a bit dry, and on one occasion they brought my wife Earl Grey rather than English breakfast tea as ordered. Other than that (!), flawless.

The room was excellent, huge and well equipped; the food and wine were excellent and the staff were lovely as well. I think they must have refurbished relatively recently because the decor throughout is very attractive, being a well-executed blend of old and new. If the weather will bear it, eat on the terrace overlooking the gardens, for a fantastically civilised English country house experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This two day break was courtesy of our son Philip. It was a 50th wedding anniversary gift. It proved to be a very delightful experience for both of us.
The staff were a credit to the hotel management, friendly and helpful. The rooms were large, contemporary, spotless, with comfortable beds, and the views from the balcony were stunning. The room we recommend is room 19, an exceptional room.
The spa looked very good too, we didn't partake in any treatments, we were still feeling relaxed.
The food was so eloquently delivered, and very fresh, cooked to order. A bottle of bubbly, courtesy of the management , was in our room on arrival, much appreciated, thank you.
All in all we would recommend this hotel and spa for a pleasant and quiet getaway.

Room Tip: The Exceptional room we were in, is on the second floor. Some of the Exceptional rooms are also in t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!