“Lunch nothing special”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Lunch nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Today was our 6th visit for lunch and we took a couple of friends and a 1 year old. Ventured out to the lovely terrace and we just love the views over the lake and beyond. Service always friendly but always sooooo slow, despite it being quiet. I opted for bean burger and chips: it was very dry, tasteless and the bun stale. It really needed a side of coleslaw/relish. We asked for bread straight away for the toddler and after chasing 30 mins later, we eventually got 4 stale pieces of an average loaf and got charged. We find it is always style over sustanance here but lured back with the spectacular views!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I arrived on a gloriously sunny Sunday afternoon. Lucky for us this meant we could relax in the sun loungers on our suite balcony which overlooked the fabulous grounds. The rest of the room was lovely: enormous bed, the latest gadgets, cute seating area with flat screen tv etc. The bathroom was huge! The bath could easily fit two plus there was a separate shower enclosure and double sinks.

The friendly staff were happy to provide an ice bucket & flutes for our BYO champagne which we enjoyed on the balcony. We went for a short stroll around the gorgeous gardens and ate dinner in the restaurant. We found the food and service first class.

After a peaceful & restful nights sleep we woke up to a full English breakfast which we again had the fortune to enjoy on the balcony in the sunshine. We then spent the day at the spa where we lazed on loungers right by the heated outdoor pool. I had of the best full body massages I have ever had. All the spa staff were great too - a special thanks to Manager Gilly who went to great lengths to help return an item I forgot at the spa!

Overall a fantastic experience and I would not hesitate to return. The place has a nice attitude to children too.

Cowley provides top class service and yet it's not stuffy or overbearingly formal like many 5 star hotels today.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank fragal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed for the one night 'spa and stay' special offer - it was such a treat, we wished we could have afforded to stay longer.

Hotel - Faultless. The service was impeccable, and all the staff we met were thoughtful, polite and cheerful. The hotel interior was beautiful and the grounds stunning - we particularly enjoyed resting in the hammocks and looking out onto the lovely lake. Our room was very large and sunny, with gorgeous views. The room had everything we could want - the Green and Spring products are lovely, and we were especially pleased with the coffee maker.

Restaurant - Excellent. Really top quality food and service, and a wonderful view out onto the grounds. The breakfast buffet was particularly impressive.

Spa - Lovely, but a few niggles. Everything was clean and light, and the pools were very large, so great for swimming lengths - particularly the indoor one, which was surrounded by windows and light. But I was a bit surprised at the lack of imagination here. The pools, sauna, steam room and treatment rooms were great, but I would have liked some of the other hydrotherapy and thermal experiences that other modern luxury spas offer. And the changing room is surprisingly small. Being served drinks and food by the pool was lovely, although the lack of shade was a bit difficult in the afternoon (there's a shade for each pair of sunbeds, but it's not big enough to cover both). And the very loud children and music detracted from the relaxing atmosphere a bit!

Room Tip: Room 31 in the main building was fantastic - enormous, quiet, with views on three sides.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We luckily choose a really hot summer's day and we had a fantastic time.

The only thing that disappoints was the food. Totally unimaginative - the caesur salad was just salad leaves covered in mayonnaise. So much so the lettuce was wilting. When I showed the staff - they said it was meant to be like that!!! Heaven knows what the rest of the food is like.
Not impressed at all and not 5 star. More like little chef experience.

Back to the spa. Really friendly happy staff and it was a very enjoyable day.

Room Tip: Didn't stay - n/a
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I have stayed here about 4 or 5 times, and we love it. The house is beautiful, the gardens great for walking through, and the food delicious. The staff do change from year to year, but we have found them all to be helpful and friendly.
I haven't used the spa, but the swimming pool is just heaven.
Don't change Cowley Manor. We love you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I've delayed writing this as I thought I was just being stingy

But having stayed in a couple of other hotels recently I still think this hotel is very poor value.

We paid £350 per room for one night in march. The room was shabby, boutique yes but very much in need of a lick of paint, the waiters and staff were so new to the job we had to help them out, the whole place smelt of drains and the spa was very second rate. The food was ok to good.

The pool however was fantastic.

And of course the setting and view are idyllic - I can't help but think it's that alone that is keeping the price so high.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank ladyfromwestlondon
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Cowley Manor is THE perfect place to stay. My 'girl' friends and i find it the loveliest place to spend a couple of days away for total relaxation and enjoyment. We adore the idyllic setting, the yummy food, the friendly helpful staff, and the overall Cowley experience - which is second to none. We always stay in 'Great Room', number 31, which is very spacious and has views to 3 sides of the house. The breakfast buffet has been relocated (since our last visit) from the dining room into the adjoining room - and this works very well indeed. There is an excellent array of delicious items which are the perfect adjunct to the wonderful Cowley hot breakfast dishes. As a Full English aficionado, I can state with confidence that Cowley's version is sublime. We enjoyed all of our meals very much - and I even tried pigeon breast (rather tentatively) and found it to be delicious! We were again blessed with scorching weather, and spent time relaxing at the pool and wandering around the grounds - and eating! It's so lovely to be able to eat on the terrace with the beautiful vista stretching out before you. Heaven! There was a last-day sale in the on-site shop,(it's being re-furbished) and I bought a funky birchwood Christmas tree and my friend bought reindeers - not something we expected to be doing on the hottest day of the summer! I can't wait for my next visit. LOVE IT!

Room Tip: A friend stayed in (Good) Room 28, which had some noise from the car park and the entrance at the fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#5 of 6 in Broadway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,161 reviews

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!