“Another wonderful stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
Schull Ireland
“Another wonderful stay”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was our fourth stay in the Stonehouse Court Hotel , it is one of our favorite places to stay when in this area , we just love the warmth , beauty and character of this manor house , the garden and grounds are beautifully kept , Our room was very quite, clean, bright and warm had four great nights sleep , the only negative was the TV only had one channel working and my husband likes to get the news in the mornings .
We had dinner the first night of our stay the food was lovely , very relaxing with great service , breakfast had plenty of choice ( kippers were super ) .
The staff were very helpful and courteous , thank you for another lovely stay .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel 6-7 Dec for a two night stay. Booked through Groupon, I'd spoken with the hotel to arrange a real booking. Then we were told there was a Saturday supplement stay so it ended up being a far more pricey break. They emailed me on Tuesday prior to arrival to say they only had 6.30pm or 9.30pm reservation left in the restaurant, for the Saturday.
We arrived and went to the bar for a drink. £10 for two drinks, rather steep.
I went to use the shower and the hot water wouldnt work. The receptionist said I could use another bathroom in another free room, but this wasnt ideal. We asked that it would be fixed for our return that evening. Apparently the thermostat had gone, and another was not available until Monday so we were given a different key to use for the bathroom, two floors below us so not ideal. Room 21, a hideous bathroom, with a showerhead and water spurting from seven different directions. The water wouldnt get hot, then wouldnt go cold, so obviously a bigger issue.

Breakfast was served by polite and helpful staff, but there was obviously a mix up in the kitchen as I overheard two tables saying their plated hot breakfasts were not what they had asked for. There were two wait staff on the Saturday, and service was slow - when in all honesty, there were not that many people. Juices weren't restocked and there was rubbish on the tables.

The restaurant reservation was at 9pm but we were asked our choices prior. We ordered from the Festive menu as the normal menu was unavailable. We both had soup, which was not served with a bread roll which I found quite odd. As we finished, the waiter came to collect the side plate and knife - and I said it was the first time in my life, in a fine dining restaurant of all places, where I had not had a bread roll served alongside soup. He said this was an optional extra, and a £3.00 cost but we werent even asked if we wanted bread.

The meal itself was lovely. Lamb was cooked nicely and the Chocolate Tart was also good. I had ordered an apple juice from the bar and as it was served, a gloopy creamy texture was sitting in the glass. By the looks of it, the carton had been open too long. The young lady replaced it, however I do wonder if stock control or any controls are used in the bar area.

Unfortunately, the parties brought in over this period seemed to have priority. Reserved signs in the bar for a xmas party, a wedding in one room. It didnt seem welcomnig for us and we went back to our room. Although in the garden room out of the main buidling, the music blaring from the wedding party was so loud, it felt like you were next to the party but not able to join. I was unable to sleep until that stopped at 12.30am. As there wasnt really a bar area for normal hotel residents, it was a bit of a let down.

We had the cream tea on the Sunday and it was lovely. The young staff working were obviously not at fault and did try to accomodate the issues. But I wonder if any such issues should arise in a lovely hotel like so, competing in a high quality manner.

We were discounted a mere £20, the Saturday supplement - which I didnt argue with, but with no bathroom facility I do wonder if that was even substantial after the amount we spent on the weekend stay.

A hotel - lovely building, interior (main build reception area), setting - but with some major flaws. Get it right, treat the customer how you want to be perceived and get the basics right first before trying to do too much.

Room Tip: NOT ROOM 21 - a single room with an awful 70's bathroom Room 30 - lovely views and I'm su...
2 Thank N_31644
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

As frequent travellers, my partner & I, have had many an interesting experience with hotels & restaurants, we've developed an almost fatalistic approach to our visits away, Bourne out of disappointment & good experiences.
stonehouse court, is a beautiful looking manor house, set within stunning gardens, on entering you are met by a huge stone fire place, oak paneling on the walls, setting the scene for a romantic night ahead.
The comedy begins; having made a dinner reservation earlier in the week, on booking in, were told, they had no such booking, so we had to eat at a time convenient to them ! The receptionist speaking in a monotone voice, didn't quite get the annoyance emanating from me, although i held it together as to not spoil the romantic ambiance I was hoping to foster. Said young lady on the desk then directed us to our room, using mannerisms that led us to believe she thought we were deaf, old or had a slight learning difficulty, bless her.
Off we toddled to our room with a wry smile on our faces, the fatalistic gene now kicking in.
Our room, small pleasant enough, but looking tired & a little dated, was comfortable. Making our way to the small " cocktail bar" for a drink, we were met by the bar person, who almost broke into a smile, while serving us, more of her later. There was a wedding party going on at the same time, so we made our excuses & left.
Act two, scene I, comedy of errors; an appretife was in order prior to dinner, we made our way to the cocktail bar, now devoid of any staff, patrons already there said " you'll be lucky to be served" obviously their wait for service too long, our old friend returned, still no smile, we now thinking her vocation in the service industry, a little misplaced. She took our drinks orders, & got them wrong, Twice ! Then tried to charge us for the extra drinks, while comedy was turning into farce, another member of staff appeared at the bar only to drop a whole try of glasses right in front of us. Pure genius for timing as other guest were coming in. At this point, we did seriously consider cancelling our dinner reservation. Luckily the professionalism of the restaurant manager saved the day, seeing us in the lounge drinking our gin, he quickly made himself known, allowing us to look at the menu before taking our orders & allowing our wine to breath at the table, we were shown to our table,& enjoyed a fine dining experience with the help of the staff, on top of their game, the ambience created by them & the sumptuously decorated room.
Let this be a lesson to all hoteliers, your front of house staff, are the first impression one gets when staying, all other things, the food, state of the rooms really all come second, it's all about what you communicate to the public, luckily your restaurant staff, saved the day, not all customers are forgiving as we.

Room Tip: Choose a room within the old manor house itself, not the new extension.
1 Thank GunnerGriffiths
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had a dinner reservation booked , we had made the booking 4 months ago. The evening before our reservation at 945 pm we received a call to say they were cancelling our booking because they were full with residents. This was a Christmas meal with friends who we don't see very often which is why it was pre booked so far in advance. How was I supposed to get another booking for a Saturday night 2 weeks before Christmas. I was offered a night between Monday and Thursday, which was no good to any of us.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Patricia P
Mark F, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
I am sorry your reservation was postponed to another day, we were full with our residents in the restaurant as priority bookings and we were unable to accommodate the 50% discount meal vouchers on a busy night
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We found the hotel beautiful, warm, cosy and friendly. Staff very helpful, friendly but professional. We stayed in a garden room which had lovely views over the garden and was perfectly appointed.
We certainly hope to return when the weather is a bit better so we can take full advantage of the surroundings.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay
Wiltshire
Reviewed 2 December 2013

oh dear it all started to go wrong after we were welcomed and given the room key.... Only to find the room hadn't been cleaned after the previous occupants!
we were offered drinks and sandwiches in the bar while we waited for the room..
afternoon tea was delicious ... But dinner in the restaurant a disaster!! see previous review!!
The waiting staff seemed clueless, and the poor restaurant manager spent the evening trying to make amends....food was mediocre...!
the temperature everywhere in the hotel was tropical... So sadly not a very comfortable stay

• Stayed November 2013
Mark F, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your feedback. I am sorry for the problems you experienced and shortfall in standards you had

Its disappointing to hear of the mix up over the room key

As mentioned in response to the comments below unfortunately the electronic ordering and till system that sends the food orders to the kitchen and wine orders to the bar crashed and we lost the checks within the system and couldn't be recovered

This caused us horrendous problems in co coordinating the delivery of food and put us under a lot of pressure with orders and tables backing up hence the delays and mix up in food and wine

We have since rectified the system and got everything back on track

Once again I am sorry for the problems you experienced
Thurrock, Essex
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

My OH booked a DBB deal via Travelzoo and extended it to 2 nights. We Arrived Friday late evening due to traffic and work. We missed our dinner booking (we made sure we called ahead to advise we would be late - something the hotel should note). Unfortunately they could not keep the kitchen open so we enjoyed sandwiches and wraps in the bar.

Our room was snug and very 70s in style. I decided to have a quick shower before bed but there was no hot water from either the shower or bath, so thought I would try in the morning - no change. We told reception and we're advised that a new room would be available within a couple of hours. Our sleep was comfortable with high thread cotton linen.

After an enjoyable breakfast we went for a walk long along the canal. Went to our new room, much better decor and scalding hot water. (Too hot and quite dangerous to be honest). This room along with the rest of the hotel was boiling hot.

We were booked in the restaurant at 8.30 for dinner, so went down early to have a drink in the bar. My OH asked for a Bloody Mary - the bar tender ( who we later found out to be the hotel manager) did not have a clue how to make this mystery drink!

At 8.45 we were given a menu and our choices noted down, by 9.10 we asked what the delay, only to be met with 'oh sorry.....' And not much else. Shortly after we were shown to our table, as soon as out bottoms touched the seat a main course was delivered to us. However not ours! A few moments later out starter arrived, I asked for some bread and was told ' that will be 2.50' my OH politely told her after waiting 50 minutes for our table without explanation or even an olive they ought to waiver this.

25 minutes and 4 requests later the bread arrived! I had to shout across the room to get the restaurant managers attention. We asked why everything was such a mess, he explained that the computer system had gone down and confused problems. I suggested that he should have explained this earlier and perhaps offered all those inconvenienced a drink - instead the situation had escalated and all those in the restaurant were grumbling and moaning. Throughout this the restaurant manager was running about trying to make amends the general manager was no where to be seen - perhaps he was looking up the recipe to Bloody Mary's rather than ensuring his clientele were happy

The food was nice, my lamb was far too salty. When the cheeses were brought to the table the waiter was very happy in remembering I wanted digestives - I didn't, so back off to the kitchen he went!

At almost 11pm we left the restaurant and returned to our room which now smelt really musty - even with the bathroom window left open.

We had a poor nights sleep as the room was too hot and the bed poor. When I tried to open a window it was broken and the entire thing fell on to me, thankfully I was able to support it. I advised reception of this when we checked out but got the generic 'oh I am sorry'

We had high hopes for this hotel, so pretty and perfect location, so a real shame - Bespoke hotels - more like total joke hotel!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lovehols4

We are working through the rooms refurbishing them and bringing them up to date. We are investigating the issues on the showers and have engineers looking into it

Unfortunately the electronic ordering and till system that sends the food orders to the kitchen and wine orders to the bar crashed and we lost the checks within the system and couldn't be recovered

We have since rectified the system and got everything back on track

I am sorry I forget your Bloody Mary order in the heat of resolving the problems we had. Later during my time working in reception, lounge, bar and looking after the function next door would happily have spoken to you again

Once again I am sorry for the problems you experienced
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonehouse
The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Cotswold Grange Hotel
Cotswold Grange Hotel
#4 of 22 in Cheltenham
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!