“A bit tired”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
Crewe, United Kingdom
“A bit tired”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here for just one night, it's a lovely old building and the downstairs areas are full of character, however the room I was in was very tired in terms of decor and fixtures/ fittings etc, but was a good size.

Staff were nice, if a little disorganised ( didn't have a record of my booking and then couldn't find the key to my room ), didn't use the restaurant, but breakfast was OK.

I like older hotels and don't mind a bit of faded glory, but this was just a bit beyond that.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gordonrgs37
Mark F, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank – you for your feedback, we have refurbished the downstairs lounge and bar which look lovely. We are working through refurbishing the bedrooms and tidying them up as an ongoing project. I am sorry for the check in experience and we have retrained the team. Many thanks for your comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel with lots of character about 15 mintues from Stonehouse Station. The staff were superb but, the hotel is in need of some further TLC modernisation which is work in progress. Location not so good for getting into Cheltenham, although traffic is the big problem. The rooms were good value though. I can see this hotel will improve further as extra modernisation takes place, so could be a future jewel. Worth considering for future visit.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank – you for your feedback, we have refurbished the downstairs lounge and bar which look lovely. We are working through refurbishing the bedrooms and tidying them up as an ongoing project. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks for your comments
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed at the Hotel following a friend's wedding. The Wedding was lovely and the staff friendly and helpful. On checking in quickly to ensure I did not miss any of my friends big day, I woke up the following morning and was extremely dissatisfied with the room (47) I was in. The room was very dated and extremely dirty. There was dust on the headboard, mud or other dirt staining on the carpet in various places. The TV was old (at least 10 years old and not flat screen type) and was set low down on a small table so that it could not be seen easily from the bed if I had wanted to watch it. The bedroom windows which are double glazed need replacing, with condensation having built up between the glazing. The bathroom like the bedroom was dated and unsightly. There was mould staining on the tiles and rust around the plug hole. The shower was part of the baths mixer taps which generated very little power. Breakfast the following morning was standard. There were no plates initially to put breakfast on and just a scraping of baked beans left. Having to ask twice for more things to be bought out is too much for a guest who is meant to be enjoying them self. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and the hotel should deliver so much more in the other areas of its business. The receptionist when I complained was very helpful and polite. There were no issues about asking me how much I expected to pay which was eventually £70 rather than £100. I can't help but think that room 47 is an overspill room when the hotel is busy, which is why it was so easy to get some money back and why the room was so very poor. I have seen other reviews picking up on double glazing and outdated rooms. Why is this not corrected?

Room Tip: Avoid room 47.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Ryan T
Thank – you for your feedback, we have refurbished the downstairs lounge and bar which look lovely. We are working through refurbishing the bedrooms and tidying them up as an ongoing project. I am sorry for the cleanliness of the room and the wait for items at breakfast. We have focused our team on to more attention to detail and on the guest experience. Many thanks for your comments
Plazac, France
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our daughter’s wedding. As a venue for a wedding it couldn’t be faulted.

The wedding was inside as the weather was not the warmest – to be expected in March. A lovely ceremony, well organised and with plenty of staff on hand to help. The wedding breakfast was good, served quickly and the food hot. Hard to do with a large party.

The public parts of the hotel are also good, clean and as to be expected for a ‘Bespoke Hotel’ and one of that period. The ambient lighting in the lounge in the evening whilst lovely made it a little difficult to read the menu and it was the same in the dining room, in fact we had to leave our table and stand under the main light so that we could read it. We weren’t the only guests having the same problem. A torch would be handy! We found both the dinner and breakfast fine.

The staff, throughout the hotel, were always polite and helpful - even at 3 am in the morning!

Our problem with the hotel, and it was a big problem, were the bedrooms. We can only speak for the main house of course. The first bedroom (No: 3 ) that we were shown to was a wonderful size as was the en suite that went with it. On entering the room we were hit with an overpowering smell of bleach but ignored that thinking at least the room would be clean. How wrong we were. Two light bulbs were not working in the bedroom, one was out in the bathroom and the one lighting the wardrobe (actually a cupboard) was also not working. The valance on the bottom of the bed was dirty and we suspected that it hadn’t been changed from the previous guests. There were cobwebs waving from the walls in the bedroom and bathroom. The wonderful bay window was very damp with mould on the glass, the brickwork crumbling and the paintwork beneath flaking. There were flakes of paint, bits of concrete and concrete dust from the window on the carpet. The carpets obviously hadn’t been hovered as there was hair from the previous occupant on the carpet too. The walls were filthy with hand prints, water stains from a leak from the room above and what looked like someone’s dinner that had been thrown against the wall and just wiped off. It was as we were looking at all this that a smell arrived from the bathroom. We didn’t know what it was but now understood the reason for the use of bleach.

We went to the reception and asked to see the Manager. The Manager did not arrive in our room but the wedding planner did. He looked at the room and declared it ‘unfit for human habitation’, thanked us for bringing it to his attention and said that he would close the room down. It was with a wry smile we noticed someone else had been moved into the room not some three hours later.

We were then shown to room 11. Cleanliness was again a problem but this time there was an added joy. There were large flakes of paint hanging down from the bathroom ceiling and an electric light fitting had come out of the ceiling only a few inches away from the shower head. We declined this room and were shown to room 12.

Someone had at some point crow barred the door open – we found this somewhat disconcerting. The bathroom ceiling had obviously had a problem that had been repaired. A shame no one thought to paint the ceiling to hide the fact.
There was a hole in the window where the lead was missing, other bits were held in with putty which had unfortunately run down the window and there was mould over the glass. The shower unit had a tile missing behind the control unit, there was mould on the sealant and the wooden frame had signs of rot. The toilet appeared to be brand new although it was fitted with a second hand delaminated toilet seat.There was also an air freshener that was wired into the electrical system that puffed out very noisily every half hour all day and all night. It didn’t make for easy sleeping.

But for the fact it was our daughter’s wedding we would not have stayed at this hotel.

We took room 12 thinking it the lesser of all evils. Unfortunately we were woken at 3 am on the morning of our daughter’s wedding as a spring on the bed had broken and the metal was sticking through the mattress. We were offered yet another room but asked instead for bolt cutters to cut the offending piece of metal off. The night porter was extremely apologetic, very helpful and removed the offending metal. We did indeed receive a good discount as compensation but it did not make up for what should have been a special stay.

We also noted on the stairway up to rooms 11 and 12 that the window sill was ‘well decorated’ with cobwebs and dead flies. The staircase and finials were dirty and scuffed and what we thought was missing paint on the finial turned out to be months of dirt and grime embedded on the paintwork.

Someone has spent a good deal on money putting roll top baths into the bathrooms of the main house to try and make the hotel special. This hotel needs to get back to basics. A good lick of paint and a good clean would serve the owners better.

Would we recommend this hotel …. As a wedding venue – yes, as overnight accommodation –NO!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Felix1622
Thank – you for your feedback, we are pleased your daughter had a delightful day at her wedding and glad everyone enjoyed it. The feedback we have had has been tremendous from her party.

We have refurbished the downstairs lounge and bar which look lovely. We are working through refurbishing the bedrooms and tidying them up as an ongoing project. I am sorry for the cleanliness of the room and the shortfalls within it. We are now repainting and refurbishing the room you checked into and are working on improving the cleanliness and repairs to the other rooms you stayed in. Many thanks for your comments
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I recently visited Stonehouse court hotel, in stroud as a quest at a friends wedding, and I must say that it was a delight to be there, not only due to the amazing building itself but to be welcomed with open arms by all members of staff, the wedding service was fantastic! Food was great and the hospitality that the staff presented towards all of us and thunominal, especially the bar staff of the night, "Ollie&Nicole"- thank you for a great night, we enjoyed your company, your energy and you were a fantastic host! "Marian,Nicola&Siobhan" - thank you for setting such a high standard in the wedding, your really should be proud of yourselves and your team! Fantastic all round!

Susan&Carlos.(wedding guests)

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your feedback we are delighted you really enjoyed your friends special day and the team appreciate your kind comments
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed in one of the rooms in the new wing. There was a fabulous view over the garden, across the canal and onto the hills beyond. Really spectacular. The room iteself was very badly proportioned though. The bathroom was too big and the living area too small and cramped. The desk area was very small and both electrical sockets were in use for the TV and tuner, which meant stretching a laptop power cable across the room. I might as well have not bothered, though, because the interent connection was like something from the mid 90s. It took Google about 5 mins to load and anyting else was unworkable. I had a room service meal in the evening which was pretty good, but I had to wait nearly an hour for it to arrive. In the morning, I showered, but half way through the shower simply stopped. There was nothing I could do to get it back on again! I had to revert to running a bath, which was working fine. Breakfast was average, neither good nor bad. All the staff I spoke to were very pleasant and welcoming and, to be honest, I didn't really feel like kicking up a fuss about the shortfalls in the room. I was there on business and the hotel was a means to an end.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank – you for your feedback, we have refurbished the downstairs lounge and bar which look lovely. We are working through refurbishing the bedrooms and tidying them up as an ongoing project. I am sorry for the problems you experienced and are working with the team to resolve the issues highlighted. Many thanks for your kind comments on our team
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Recently stayed for 4 nights as working locally.

Positives - lovely location; main building handsome; staff young but friendly, always smiling; food good (bar and restaurant)

Negatives - couldn't see the view to the canal and beyond because the double glazing was badly blown; room very tatty, both superficially and overall, for example carpet badly stained, as previous reviews black mould on sealant in the bathroom, dirty cushions on the bed, I could list more; ceilings are very thin so I could hear people walking around above me, even going to the bathroom (but solid walls);all the building is in a poor state of repair including restaurant; breakfast advertised for 7am is hit and miss, finally out and coffee served at 7.15am one day - great if you're on holiday not if you have to go to work.

Neutral - gym small but enough for short stays, busy Monday evenings, deserted other evenings.

I was asked if I'd enjoyed my stay and when I commented on the room I was told its was on the list - wonder why you'd put someone staying 4 nights in that room, unless all the rooms are on the list?

Room Tip: Find another hotel??
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonehouse
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
Cotswold Grange Hotel
Cotswold Grange Hotel
#4 of 22 in Cheltenham
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!