“Very disappointing.”

Ranked #1 of 3 Thornbury B&B and Inns
Wrexham
“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I booked this at the last minute for a business trip for me and 2 colleagues. I arrived at 8.10pm to be greeted by a lovely but stressed "receptionist" who wanted to go home - he explained that the Clubhouse would be closing shortly and we should go into Thornbury for something to eat. This was disappointing after a 4 hour drive.

The Lodge was covered in Wet Paint signs with masking tape all over the entrance hall and a smell of paint - very shabby. The room was tired with curtains which were hanging off and
mould around the bath. And no hot water in the morning for any of us.

The Lodge building is impressive, but the quality of service and the facilities was very poor - I would not recommend to a business traveller.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Levercliff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We booked this hotel without realising it was located at the centre of a gold course, in a beautifully converted farm house. Its location meant it was far away from any traffic noise among a small grove of trees.

Breakfast was served in the large, well appointed club house so we were not troubled by the golfers getting ready for a competion.

Only grumble was the noisy bathroom fan hardwired to the bathroom door. Enter the bathroom at night and the fan rumbled away for the next 30 minutes. Small detail that did not detract from otherwise excellent accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed here for a business trip. The quality of the accommodation was appalling. I could not use the shower as the shower head kept falling off the wall.There were cracks on the walls and the ceiling. The remote control in the room did not work. The breakfast is expensive and poor choice. I travel a lot with my work and this has to be the worst accommodation l have stayed in for a number of years.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Irishmale13
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

the hotel is in a beautiful setting, obviously golf is the theme, the staff were brilliant, the room was above my expectations, the bar is only open if the volume of customers warrants this, so if quiet the bar shuts early. I had the gourmet burger which was quality, so a pleasant nights stay overall. would I stay again? yes.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Oxford
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have just returned from a wedding at the Golf Centre, which was absolutely lovely, beautifully catered, well looked after by the events coordinator, Cate, and the event on the whole was a roaring success!

However, I sadly cannot say the same for the Golf Lodge accommodation; at £70 for B&B, which was roughly the same price as the Premier Inn down the road (a bit tired on the outside, but Premier Inn on the inside, with lovely views over the cricket pitch), I was expecting at least Premier Inn standards; so, comfortable, clean, modern, with the basics like fresh towels, shower gel, TV and tea/coffee making facilities; my wife and I stayed in room 11, which was the end room of the downstairs extension to the original Lodge building.

The picture on this review shows the Lodge in a great light and, on approach, it is a characterful, old building, but that is where the interest ends... the entrance hall and hallway has an uncanny resemblence to "The Hotel" (for those of you who watched the Channel 4 documentary) , but let me get onto my room and some of the others I looked into... all of the rooms suffered from the same ailments, so I'll address those first... there were several patches of paintless walls; mouldy bathroom tiles; black, mouldy edging to the lino in the bathroom, which was peeling away from the bath, walls and toilets; cobwebs over the ceilings and light fittings in the 4 rooms I looked in (rooms 1, 2, 6 and 11).

In our room (room 11), the twin beds were pushed together and made up as a large double, but unfortunately, one of the beds was about 1.5cm higher than the other, so really, we might as well have had the beds left apart, as it was impossible to sleep across the two; there was a musty smell which lingered in our room only and didn't dissipate during our stay, even with windows open while the room was occupied; as mentioned above, the walls were covered in marks, sections of paint were missing, an old water damage mark occupied the corner above the left hand bed... all of these are things that leads me to believe that management very rarely inspect the rooms as these are all ailments that can be rectified with some paint!! All this said, the sheets and towels were clean and the room served it's purpose.

Room 2 was the only other room worthy of particular note, as it sported a broken window, which inconveniently allowed the wind to whistle in, a large stain on the carpet and a shower that was very small, which is very ironic if you see the huge size of the bathroom; the room was also subject to of the same ailments listed above.

I'd like to make is on the Golf Lodge hotel-style welcome book made me laugh, as the note in the front, written and signed by the manager, closed by stating that they hoped we would enjoy the 4* experience of staying in the Golf Lodge... someone really should either update the letter, or get into the rooms and make them worthy of the promise.

A couple major positives on the accommodation is the bridal suite, which the happy couple stayed in on their wedding night and reported it to be very impressive and of course the vicinity to the wedding reception venue in the Clubhouse.

Breakfast was included as part of the room rate, which was served in the main club-house; service at breakfast was excellent, with a decent selection of cereals, toast, tea/coffee and cooked breakfast items, which were made to order. I was disappointed, however, with the sausages, as they were what I consider as "cheap" sausages as opposed to the sausages that are found in most B&Bs, including Premier Inn, which are meaty and tasty. The other breakfast item I'd like to warn other guests off is the scrambled eggs, which were unfortunately over-cooked on both mornings despite two different chefs being on duty. All in all though I enjoyed the breakfast and the two points above are probably personal preferences.

The final straw was upon check-out, where I told the lady behind the desk that I would like to check-out; she asked my name, looked up the details, asked me for £140 and said 'goodbye'. I wasn't asked if I had enjoyed my stay and I certainly wasn't thanked for my custom. I know it's a golf course and the primary function is golf, but you're operating an 11 bedroom guest house too!!

Overall, I am disappointed with my stay at the Lodge and would have preferred to have stayed at the Premier Inn, which is a few minutes down the road; for £70 per night I do expect at least a Premier Inn standard of room and my advice to the management is to either lower the price of the accommodation or bring the standard up to something worthy of the price paid.

Room Tip: Unless you're in the bridal suite, stay in the Premier Inn down the road!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I genuinely wanted to contradict those reviews giving terrible feedback but - sadly - it was not to be.

Stayed one night on business and arrived at around 19.00 and asked if there was a restaurant - response was "kind of, but you'd better be quick as last orders are at 19.30". Went off to the room for a quick change - entering the room (5) it was a depressing affair and whilst I can accept that on a fine summers evening it may be idyllic to sip a glass of wine on the patio, you wouldn't want to spend much time in this room at any time of year.

Not an ornament, picture or any semblance of decent furniture to be seen, no valence on either of the twin (single) beds, a dim centre light and curtains that would barely cover the window.

Gloomy to say the very least.

It was then that I noticed that the flat screen tv was chained to the wall, notices behind the door extolled guests not to bring golf trolleys into their room and (as a final straw) a notice by the hospitality tray warned of dire consequences if any guest damaged the room !! - just what kind of clientele frequented this place ?

Dashed over to the cafeteria where a very lonely bored bar staff advised that that was the only food they were serving and that the bar would close at 09.00 - or earlier if nobody came in - nice !.

The menu was very basic and really catered to the needs of the daytime golfers - mostly snack and sandwiches. I chose a burger ( if you can't cook that then give up!). Burger came absolutely dripping in cheese, sat on a paper serviette, with a bowl of obviously reheated and overcooked chips - it was disgusting !!

The cafeteria was gloomy and very unwelcoming , a few more stragglers came in to watch the football but I never saw any food being ordered. Returned to 'the lodge"- to be greeted at the entrance by a gentleman in his singlet, boxer shorts and heavily tattooed smoking and talking loudly on his cell phone ( it was drizzling, foggy and mild - and no way was I going to ask why he was there !)

Whilst the room and sheets / duvet were clean, the duvet itself barely covered a single bed and was most uncomfortable.

The morning came and .......... Despite the room having been akin to a sauna .... No hot water of any kind !!!

Breakfast was served in the cafeteria and was most disappointing - how anyone can call a black, burned sausage, a fried egg, a rasher of bacon , a very small hash brown and an equally small spoon of beans wonderful is beyond me. The pot of tea was luke warm and I had to get my own milk, the breakfast took ages to be served and there was no mention of any cereals being on offer.

To be fair, they did knock off £10.00 for having no hot water when I checked out - but to be honest £64.00 for a lousy nights sleep with grotty food in less than salubrious surroundings is a pretty high price to pay !

The Thornbury Lodge is probably great for golf, wedding receptions and corporate functions, but its not a hotel (no restaurant, room service or reasonable opening hours) and to be blunt - struggles to come up to scratch as a B & B - I can only comment on my experience - whereby I found the entire place depressing and drab, lacking any semblance of a warm greeting or remotely decent food.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank W0mbat
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Booked a room based upon reviews. Good choice, lovely surroundings, very pleasant staff. Allowed kids in the room at no extra charge, and included a breakfast for them as well. Had a bit of a wait for breakfast as they had a wedding party in at the same time.
Room was very quiet as the lodge is away from the main golf club.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Days Inn Michaelwood M5
Days Inn Michaelwood M5
#1 of 1 in Lower Wick
Travelodge Bristol Severn View M48

Been to Thornbury Golf Lodge? Share your experiences!