“Even better than we expected!”

Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
London
“Even better than we expected!”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We stayed at Thornbury Castle for one night with my girlfriend. It was a romantic surprise for her and the castle certainly didn't dissapoint. I was worried that the castle might be run down, and that the room would not be as impressive as it is in the website photos, but I was way wrong. In fact, the room was even more spectacular than I thought it would be. My girlfriend was actually jumping up and down with joy. We stayed in the Howard room, which I think is one of the most "authentic" rooms in the castle. It has two fireplaces, three windows, stone walls and a magnificent four poster bed. We had a chance to view 2 more rooms which are adjacent to the Howard, Woodstock and Plantagenet. Both are lovely and similar, but I thibk that the Howard is the best. I think that the magnificent ceiling makes the difference. An important thing to note is that you go to a hotel like that for the character. And it has plenty. People who expect the service and the facilities of a top London hotel may be dissapointed, but character is what Thornbury is all about.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Internet photos make this castle seem larger than it is. It's lovely, and the gardens are beautiful in spring, but there were subtle reminders that we really were staying in a chain hotel, not the castle of our fantasy. I had a lovely room, but my friend was in a room with no windows and a door opening onto a very unkempt balcony, so be careful to note what you're really booking. Sherry, water in a glass bottle, and an apple in my room were nice touches. Full tea in the library was fun and very nice. At 75 pounds, we declined dinner. Breakfast was good, but not exceptional. Service was adequate, but that's about all.

Room Tip: Request a clear description of your room!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Have just returned from Thornbury Castle after a lovely weekend for my girlfriends 30th Birthday. I was looking for something a little unusual and something that would give her some special memories.
From arrival to departure our stay was just perfect. I have to say the staff are a credit to the hotel, all are very friendly and polite.
We ate in the hotel 2 nights, the food was just superb with a fantastic wine list to support it!
I had arranged a birthday cake and it came out of the kitchen with all the staff around it singing happy birthday to my girlfriend. Just wonderful.
I have to say a big thanks to Julie who arranged a few little surprises during our stay and again all were arranged perfectly and with little fuss.

The castle has so much history, its interior is just special and being part of it for our relatively short stay was a joy.

We stayed in the Tower suite, room is just lovely stunning views and with the spiral staircase taking you up and down just adds to the experience.

We had a fantastic stay and cannot give this hotel enough praise, I would highly recommend for those special occasions. Obviously the hotel is not cheap so for us normal folk its only for those special life moments. I hope to return one day

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BuckLanders
philadelphia
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We wanted to stay in a castle somwehere between our stay in Lyme Regis and Liverpool, and this was perfect...Our kids are 9 and 13 so were able to enjoy the activities like archery, chess and falconry very much. We stayed in the Tower Suite on the top floor (76 steps up a spiral staircase) for 2 nights...its expensive but I would do it again, maybe for 1 night. The restaurant was very formal and the service was excellent - Pepe was a pleasure to talk to! Breakfast was lovely and combined a buffet and a la carte. The town is walking distance. We didn't drive anywhere else but could have.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Wow what an amazing place, I was take away by my fiance to celebrate my 40th Birthday and he could not have chosen a better place. I have always wanted to stay in a castle. The venue, food, service was exceptional, and I truly felt like a princess. A weekend full of magic and romance ..priceless

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We have just spent a weekend at Thornbury to celebrate my sister and brother-in laws surprise golden wedding anniversary and birthday. What an amazing time we have all had. There were 17 of us in the party ages ranging from 72 to 9 months, and we were all catered for to perfection.
All the bedrooms we used were to die for including the Dukes Bedchamber with massive fourposter bed and log fire which my sister and b-in-law were lucky enough to spend the night in.
Everything about the weekend was superb, and attention to detail was second to none. The evening meal was delicious, as was the breakfast.. All the staff were extremely friendly and professional.
My sister and b-in-law were just blown away with everything about the weekend, as was everyone in the party. I would thoroughly recommend staying at Thornbury especially if you want a extremely special time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank vaaehlelts
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2011

My Partner took me here for a suprise get away last weekend. On arrival the castle looks stunning. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and take pride in showing you around the venue.

My partner chose the Stafford suite for us to stay in which was amazing! It had a huge bed, stunning open fire place, complimentary sherry/fruit and one of the most beautiful bathrooms i've ever seen. The shower was an open wet room esq shower big enough for seven with twin sinks, a huge stone bath for two and stunning arrow slit stain glass windows for lighting.

Once we had settled in we decided to have afternoon tea together within the Castle, we were lucky enough to be seated by the window in a slightly more secluded spot which made the experience even more enjoyable for us. The food was amazing and service extremely attentive.

Once we had finished we were shown to the Tudor Gardens where we decided to take a walk unfortunately many of the flowers were not yet in bloom but i can imagine this to be beautiful in the summer with stunning views of the castle and the surrounding ruins.

For dinner my Partner had arranged an extra special treat - most of the other guests eat in one main dining room which is beautiful but obviously not private. Luckily for me my Partner had arranged for an extra special private table for us away from the main dining room up the stairs and on a seperate balcony. There was a beautiful candle lit area with a single circular table in the middle accompanied by beautiful chairs, stunning tapestries/paintings, a huge Tudor window with gorgeous red swagging and soft music playing. It was extremely intimate and with a very attentive waiter, i felt like royalty.

I was later informed that that particular table is often reserved for royalty should they chose to stay and dine within the castle. The food was truely amazing and amongst the best i've ever tasted. Well worth the money.

Once we had finished our main course my Partner and i stood up to admire the room. The waiter then brought up a steel topped dish which he said was dessert. I hadn't ordered dessert at that point so i was a little confused but as the hotel had provided us complimentary apperetifs i thought it may be something similar but a pre dessert. My Partner then got down on one knee and proposed!! The ring was under the dish! I of course said yes! The staff had been in on it all along and they made a real fuss of us, bringing us up complimentary champagne and a complimentary dessert with a message from the Chef. It was a wonderful night and the setting made it even more amazing.

As we were finishing up from Dinner we bumped into the Chef who stopped to congratulate us - he was so friendly and it was a real personal touch that he actually took the time to stop by, ask us how our dinner was and congratulate us.

The next morning we had an amazing, hearty continental breakfast in bed whilst sitting in our comfy robes and slippers. When we checked out we were congratulated by the General Manager and all the other staff who made a fuss of us. They also kindly showed us around the other rooms so that we would know which room to stay in when we return.

I can honestly say the bathroom in the Stafford was untouchable - the other rooms such as Howard, Plantaganet and Bedford are beautiful with four poster beds and roaring fires but the Bathrooms whilst nice are no way near as special as in the Stafford.

My Partner since advised that the staff had provided him with extra special service as they knew he was planning to propose and without their help he wouldn't have been able to make it half as special. He was originally planning to propose in the Tudor Garden and had arranged with the Hotel staff for them to lay out candles and tea lights at dusk but due to the cold and the fact that the Garden wasn't in bloom he opted to propose on the balcony instead which i preferred. It was nice to know that the Hotel staff were so willing to help make it special.

I strongly recommend this castle not only for its beauty but for its first class service and i will return very soon!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Engagedx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
Berwick Lodge
Berwick Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hallen

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!